Interested in getting props refinished, worth it?

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Engine Discussions
I have bravo three ss 22p props. just a few nics at best.  i have a place near me, atlantisprop.com  They quoted me 160 per prop for totally refinishing and tuning     they use a technoligy they call propscan. It looks complete to me when I read the list of things they inspect and do to the props.  does this sound about right price wise?

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just paid $120 each for mine but they are not Bravo 3 prop
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    ok thanks, I dont know much about props and what could be out of wack. I'm betting these props have been with the boat since new so I guess it wouldnt hurt to have them inspected and serviced. 
    edited March 2017
    Yes do it and put in a new hub if it has one. Also ask the shop to add a cup if they can. Helps the prop grab more water on take off. They also look nice all shined up  :)
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I wondered what cupping does. ive seen the term used but never had the interest in looking it up.   ill ask when i take them over. their web site said they would lend tools for removal. ...another tool I should have bought  
    Be careful mine were very sharp
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These props do not have hubs like single props I've had....i had a bravo II out drive and had a dinged up prop " corrected" but I think that was like 75 bucks to get the bends and dings out...as far as the looks , I would worry about more important stuff!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 4 bravo 3 props done in 2012 and it was around 130 each. They had major chunks out of them from hitting rocks (was not me was PO). I've always read/heard that having them computer done at one of these shops does improve efficiency, makes them run smoother, etc. For short runs may make no difference but if you make long runs it could add up.  
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Propscan is a great retuning device. Decent price you mentioned. Esp if they balance too. 

The B-III props get tuned to original specs. I do not think you can 'cup' them. Cast SS, can't reshape like that easily. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Propscan is a great retuning device. Decent price you mentioned. Esp if they balance too. 

The B-III props get tuned to original specs. I do not think you can 'cup' them. Cast SS, can't reshape like that easily. 
    They cupped mine
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    For the B-2 props, I've never had luck with new hubs.  I guess I'm pushing too much weight or something.  But, I can find new props for $330, so not entirely that much more than if you are cupping and rehubbing.  & yes, B-3 props don't have hubs.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn said:
    For the B-2 props, I've never had luck with new hubs.  I guess I'm pushing too much weight or something.  But, I can find new props for $330, so not entirely that much more than if you are cupping and rehubbing.  & yes, B-3 props don't have hubs.
    Where do you find Props for $330?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to have my B-III props done.  One of the rear props was noticeably bent.  Cost $660 to have all 4 done.  Beats $2000 for a new set.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited March 2017
    Dream_Inn said:

http://www.boatersland.com/qspqa1952r.html

and LH

http://www.boatersland.com/qspqa1953r.html

Dream_Inn said:
    Dream_Inn said:

http://www.boatersland.com/qspqa1952r.html

and LH

http://www.boatersland.com/qspqa1953r.html

Aluminum Props? Yuck 
    Well, that is what I use!  If I get a knick or whatever, no big deal.  Biggest thing to me though is the hubs.  I looked into SS, but never had luck with hub replacements.

I dont see any thing close to my props on that website.
    Handy, what size dia/pitch are your props?  Maybe they'd work on my boat! LOL!  I'd love to try SS just to see if it is worth the switch.

19 by 23 pitch
    I am going to write down all the numbers off the props since they are nice and clean. See what Al can find
    Is there an hour limit on replacing Hubs?
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hi Dream, I checked the link you provided for B2 props. Those are great prices. The prop listed is a 17 1/2 X 21 and my original props are 17 3/4 X 21. I couldn't find the 17 3/4 props on the site. Do you know if the 17 1/2 inch props will work as well as the slightly larger ones on my boat?

wm61356 said:

Hi Dream, I checked the link you provided for B2 props. Those are great prices. The prop listed is a 17 1/2 X 21 and my original props are 17 3/4 X 21. I couldn't find the 17 3/4 props on the site. Do you know if the 17 1/2 inch props will work as well as the slightly larger ones on my boat?

Well, I'm certainly no expert on this, but I certainly would not think a 1/4 inch difference in diameter would make a tremendous difference.  If it were me, I'd probably go for it.  But again, maybe someone else has experience with changing diameter.

Handy, I don't think there is any 'limit' on replacing hubs.  I'm thinking it's age more than anything that starts the deterioration of the rubber.  Several years ago I had went thru 3 rather quickly.  I think two were just due to age & maybe some wear, and then the other was because I bought it from a friend and it was 'used' (actually not used much, but sat around and the rubber was going).

OK, why did we have to talk about hubs!!!  I just talked to the mechanic and they were just getting ready to pull my boat BACK OUT of the water!!  when I called, it was still in the water, just pulling it back up on the lift.  Hopefully it is just the hub.  But wow, not sure why I'm going thru another one!  I might need to find a way to get SS prop and no hub, like the big boy boats do on inboards!

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those rubber hubs are on there for a reason, the choice is spin a hub, or break a shaft? 
    Boat Name : 

randy56 said:
    Those rubber hubs are on there for a reason, the choice is spin a hub, or break a shaft? 
    Dream_Inn said:
    OK, why did we have to talk about hubs!!!  I just talked to the mechanic and they were just getting ready to pull my boat BACK OUT of the water!!  when I called, it was still in the water, just pulling it back up on the lift.  Hopefully it is just the hub.  But wow, not sure why I'm going thru another one!  I might need to find a way to get SS prop and no hub, like the big boy boats do on inboards!
    Too much weight. 
    Dream, there is supposed to be a really strong hub made by one of the Prop Manufactures. I will try to locate
    Interesting Handy, but it only goes up to 300hp.  If this is a hub again, I'm really getting done with this hold **** thing!  I have that feeling of wanting to sell the boat again!  It doesn't sound like they are gonna get back to me today, which I had said was fine earlier.  Both outdrives are brand new OEM, one less than a year old, the other less than 2.

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream, Get a bigger sink.
    Boat Name : 

randy56 said:
    Dream, Get a bigger sink.
    LOL!  The bigger sink has been costing me since the day I bought it!