Vesselview 7 question

So, I was at the Detroit Boat Show today, and I had a Rinker dealership give me some info on a gauge upgrade, and I'm not sure their information was accurate.  I'm looking for a second opinion.
About half of the analog gauges on my 2011 Rinker 310 don't work properly.  I'm interested in dumping them and moving into something like the Vesselview 7 display.  The guy from the dealership I spoke with said that the VV7 won't work in my boat because I don't have DTS.  
The reason that I'm skeptical of this is because I'm currently using a Vesselview mobile module (which has the same Smartcraft plug as the Vesselview 7) with no problems whatsoever.  
I'm unsure why one Vesselview device would work while another wouldn't.  They'd both be receiving telemetry from the same plug.......
Can anybody shed some additional light on this situation?  I'm interested in knowing whether I need to abandon my dream of digital gauges.....
Thanks!

What I Have:

What I Want:

Comments

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    If the vesselview mobile is displaying all the information that your analog gauges have.... then the vesselview will do the same. To be certain, get the serial number off your engine and call mercruiser. They are awesome to deal with and will tell you exactly what information will be displayed from your engine on the VV7. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the dealer meant is that you don't have a SmartCraft junction box at the helm (which you would have with DTS).  But it's easy to install a junction box, along with cables from the helm to the engines.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since he has VVMoblie, he probably already has the J box to give VVM the information from both engines. You might have to change the fuel sender to one that is compatible with the VV7/Smartcraft system. VV7 will work with what you have and you should be able to do the upgrade with no problems. BTW, I love the look of your black woodgrain dash panels.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • warrantyvoiderwarrantyvoider Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Since he has VVMoblie, he probably already has the J box to give VVM the information from both engines. 
    Actually, I don't yet have the J box.  I've been running the VVMobile on the starboard engine only (I was involved in the beta test).  I know that I'll need one to do the upgrade correctly.  From what I'm hearing, this should be a relatively straightforward upgrade.  I'll post updates as I have them.  
    Thanks for all the advice.  This forum is indispensable.
    Since he has VVMoblie, he probably already has the J box to give VVM the information from both engines. You might have to change the fuel sender to one that is compatible with the VV7/Smartcraft system.
     Almost forgot:   I'm currently getting accurate fuel data from the VesselView mobile.    I'm assuming that means my set up will be fully compatible with the VesselView seven. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I switched the to VV in my 2002.  I didn't replace the fuel tank senders since reaching them is major surgery.  Everything else works great including the GPH for fuel.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget terminating ends for any open ports kn a cabling/csn bus open ends.  They are inexpensive but crucisl IF your rig has an open  port. 
    Update on this project:
    I sent an email to Mercruiser, inquiring about options for this setup.  Within an hour, a gentleman named James emailed me back with some very helpful information.  He also sent me the best schematic of a VV setup I've ever seen.  Here it is:

Before he sent this to me, I had never seen it before and it doesn't appear anywhere in the installation instructions that came with my VV7 module.  The setup went well.  The module is working perfectly, when connected to one engine only.   Therein lies my next question: 
    If you look at the schematic, you'll see a note that mentions the need to disconnect the 12v power from one of the engines, lest you risk blowing up your shiny new VV panel.  Despite my best efforts, I can't find the plug I need to disconnect.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I'm eager to test the module with BOTH engines hooked up, but I'm afraid of irreparably damaging my new panel.

Thanks, all!!!!

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod

Well, I can say I've disconnected on several boats, but I don't know how to describe it except it had 3 wires in it and looked like a power connection that was powering the CAN line (was within a few inches of the smartcraft harness)  It was on the top of the back side of the engine.  (I know, this is where a picture would work very well)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@warrantyvoider I had to have my Port motor re-programmed to know it was Port.  I was told that all the motors are set up as Starboard in the ECM.  If you find you get odd readings you may have the same issue.  

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    That incorrect about not having DTS. I have a 2007 280 and I dumped all my abalog gauges last spring. I installed a Mercmonitor along with SC100 links gauges (tach, speedo and fuel gauge). Best upgrade I have done thus far. So nice having accurate real time data. I almost did the VV4 but I didn't want to spend $500 on a new wood grain insert. You will be very happy with the VV. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    I wish the fuel tank senders were Smartcraft in our 342 so I could ditch the multi-gauges.  Only kept them for the gas reading.

Stodge said:
    I wish the fuel tank senders were Smartcraft in our 342 so I could ditch the multi-gauges.  Only kept them for the gas reading.
    The fuel tank sender in my 2002 FV270 is not smartcraft, just the plain old fuel sender. I used a Mercruiser harness part# 84-864218 and it sends the analog fuel sender data into the smartcraft system. It plugged into the harness on the back of my motor and  the other three wires went to the fuel sender lugs(only used 2 wires because I only have 1 fuel tank). The harness is made for boats with 1 or 2 fuel tanks. Best part is that the harness only cost $25. All my information(including analogue trim tabs) is now displayed on my VesselView. I have removed all my gauges. Call Mercruiser(1-920-929-5040) and they'll help you out with it as well... and as I said earlier, by boat is a 2002 all original. 
    @diggin2day1 Cool!!  Thanks for the info.

The smartcraft conversion was the best thing I did. The couple harnesses were not expensive at all. Bought a new digital fuel sender for $70. Simply plug and play really for us single engine guys
    @jme097 if I could get to the gas tanks that would be an option.  It's major surgery on the 342 to reach them.

@Stodge really? They aren't accessible under the after cabin? Thats a terrible design
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Stodge said:
    @jme097 if I could get to the gas tanks that would be an option.  It's major surgery on the 342 to reach them.

Same here!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

If by under you mean take the aft cabin completely out, then yes they are.  

That is assuming they are somewhere near the water and waste tanks.

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge the sending units can be accessed (port)from under the passengers seat there is a port hole.the starboard one is just behind the ice maker.diggin2day1 says you can put harness on the analogue sender.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    good info @reneechris14

@Stodge I would definitely do the Smartcraft upgrade if I were you. Like I said before its so nice to have the real time engine info along with accurate fuel data. The ECO mode  and all the fuel burn info is great too
    @jme097 Oh I have a VV 4 now and agree.  I just don't have the fuel.  But I plan to order the analog-to-smartcraft cable for the fuel level and try to get that added in.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, do you like your VV4? I am considering it. In planning for it, I am going to move my VVM unit to the helm via a 25' smartcraft cord. I bought a new dash gauge panel and I am looking to modify it to fit the VV4 where the tach is at.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I have a VV4 and love it!! 
    @Cableguy Greg  I have the "classic" vessel view.  I had a new dash made that houses my chartplotter and VV in the middle, then the multi-gauges are on either side of those.  

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge, do you know if those brass rings are real brass?
    Dream_Inn said:

Well, I can say I've disconnected on several boats, but I don't know how to describe it except it had 3 wires in it and looked like a power connection that was powering the CAN line (was within a few inches of the smartcraft harness)  It was on the top of the back side of the engine.  (I know, this is where a picture would work very well)

Well, I've looked high and low, on both engines, and failed (once again) to find the plug I'm looking for.  So, I Macgyvered it:
    Based on the diagram from Mercruiser, The White and blue wires in the plug carry data, and the Red/Black/Purple wires carry power.  Since I was supposed to unplug the R/B/P wires anyway, I disassembled the plug on the port engine and pulled/capped the wires I believe to be power from the port engine.  Everything powers up without smoking.  Awesome.  
    Now, I'm not sure everything is perfect yet.  As Stodge pointed out, I still have a scenario where both engines think that they're a starboard engine.  I also can't actually fire up the engines until I'm out of storage and in the water. Consequently, I can't yet verify that I'm getting accurate telemetry from the engines, but I'm optimistic.
    Anybody see an issue with my solution that I haven't thought about?

Thanks again to everybody for all the tips.

@warrantyvoider that is definitely not the right harness for the fuel drop. I will try to get you the part number I used. 
    edited March 2017
    jme097 said:
    @warrantyvoider that is definitely not the right harness for the fuel drop. I will try to get you the part number I used. 
    You are correct.  That is NOT the harness for the fuel drop.  The photo in my previous post shows the plug on the main Smartcraft harness.  
    The attached photo shows my exact setup.  The plug that is mentioned on the lower left corner of the picture is the plug I can't identify.  My solution was to pull the Red/Black/Purple leads out of the port smartcraft harness, thus having the same effect.
    Post edited by warrantyvoider on
    Stodge, do you know if those brass rings are real brass?
    I doubt it.  Pretty sure they are plastic.