Interested in getting props refinished, worth it?

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the 4x3 lifts the rear any higher, but they really helps performance.
    Boat Name : 

• bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I put a 4 blade stainless on my previous boat ,1993 3055 Ciera single screw 7.4 ltr Bravo 2, the prop was HUGE. Its performance  was awesome compared to 3 blade aluminum it came with. Jumped out of the hole in a snap and top end was amazing.
    Custom made from Airmarine inc in Chicago. they are one of the best in the propeller industry.
    Post edited by bry1429 on
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @alswagg - have they come up with anything better for B-2 props?  I've spun the hubs on two more props and rehubbing doesn't work, so I'll have to buy two more new ones.  I'd love to get some with better hubs if possible.  I'm pushing a lot of weight for a boat to have hubs.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@alswagg I do have a 400.  I've checked around a bit, but it seems that with the B-2, the prop availability is a bit more limited.  Not sure if they are available, but maybe one of those square hubs are available for B-2s?  I'm definitely going to do a little more searching since I will need another set of spares.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michigan wheel has nothing
    edited April 2017

well, I just spent the last hour looking at props.  The solas and power tech seem to offer the same thing as the merc props I've bought.  Not sure they'd be any better.  Same rubber hub and one year warranty.  Well, for me they go right after the warranty is up.  Hmmm, maybe if I buy new and put them on instead of keeping them for spare, the last ones may have not have made a year.  How about the Flo Torq ones?  Not sure if they have them for B-2??  maybe it would hold up to the torque I'm putting on it?  How about a solid hub?  are there any out there for B-2 drives?  I know, if I hit something it wouldn't be good.

ok, how about something like this? 

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/elite-series/bravo-two-stainless/

I believe it has the flo torque hub.  If it last a year, then I spin a hub, I'd only have to replace the hub.  Any thoughts??

They probably dont come in 19 diameter
    They probably dont come in 19 diameter

I need 17.5 X 23P.

I need 19 x 23

So, by the looks of it, the elite series SS comes with the Flo Torq one hub.  I was hoping maybe it'd be the Flo Torq II.  I'm not sure these hubs are any better than the standard rubber one, and I don't even see FT One rated for any of the higher horsepower motors.

https://www.generalpropeller.com/bravo-two-stainless

Uggh, I'll keep looking!

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I may be stating the obvious but...since the Bravo 2 was designed for heavy load applications (big cruisers, house boats, etc.) one would think that the B2 prop hubs would be designed to last for longer than Dream is experiencing.

What about the "Big Cow" model of stainless steel props from Hill Marine? I wonder what type of hub they use. Might be worth the expense (they're pricey) if the Hill prop has a hub that will give you some longevity.

edited April 2017

Hey, I like the recommendation @wm61356 !  It looks like they only come in 18.25 inch diameter, with varying pitch.  They are also all 4 blade.  Now if I can figure out which would work for my boat.  I don't mind spending the $1200 for a pair knowing I wouldn't have to replace the hubs (or even having a replaceable hub).  At my current rate, I spend that in 2-3 years with what I currently have.  I may have to call them to see if there is a recommendation.  I'd love to do the 'try before buy'.  Or at least know I can return if they don't work out.

EDIT:  I see they have a 45 day exchange policy, which is good.  If I can get good advice if the 4 blade would work well, the diameter is ok (going from 17.5 to 18.25) and then a change in pitch (I have 23, they offer 22 and 24). 

@alswagg ??  Any ideas how a change to a 4 blade and slightly larger diameter would work?  would I be stressing the engines?

Well, so far what I can see about the "Big Cow" is looking really good.  I like the looks of the hub.  They are pricey, but if only the hub would go at some point, it is replaceable for a much better price.  Right now I'm thinking I'll get the 18.25 X 22P. I really like the idea of SS, giving something that flexes less and with 4 blade helping hole shot.  But, I'll definitely wait a bit and give them a call to see what they recommend.  Also I'll check around a bit more as well.  Either way, it is a good start to finding something a bit more reliable!

Alswagg said:
    In most instances I have found a 4 blade prop has less slippage than 3 blades. So I generally drop at least one pitch size switching from 3 to 4 blades 

Thanks Al!  It sounds like going from my 3 blade AL 17.5 X 23P to a 4 blade SS 18.25 X 22P would work well.  As soon as I get my boat back (sure hope this week) & I run it for a week or two, I'm gonna go for it with these props.

Hey Dream, I've been eyeing Hill 4 blade props for my B2' s. I've read that 4 blade props can provide better hole shot and increased efficiency at cruise speeds. If you make the switch please let me know how they work for you.
     I am going to make the switch, but it'll be a couple weeks here.  Still working on getting my boat running right first.  But, I am planning on buying these props and actually talked to my mechanic yesterday and he heard good things about these "big cow" props as well.

So, I just received my big cow props.  Talk about some heavy props!  Wow!  They are built very thick!  When I asked about buying a set of spare hubs, I was told I'll have no issues.  I'll be putting them on tomorrow and going for a test ride.  I am very curious if I notice much difference.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Yeah keep us posted and good luck with them.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Ok, quick update from the boat. AMAZING!! I can't believe the difference! Top end hasn't changed. On plane is crazy better! I can get on plane with only putting engines at 3000rpm. With a little tabs, I can easily stay on plane at 20mph. But the best, I can cruise at 30 mph at 3700-3750 rpm. This is with my new thick bottom paint too! About 300 rpms better! I took a picture of my vessel view, but not sure how to post from my mobile. Oh, and at a slower on plane speed, I've seen around 1mpg!!!!! (which is great for my boat) About the only con, it does have a slight higher idle speed. These props are built really thick! And are really heavy.

Higher idle? Did you stay with the same pitch and diameter?
    Dis is 3/4 in larger and dropped from 23p to 22p. It moves along a little faster at idle. Not bad, just noticeably different.

So your speed at idle is a little faster but not the RPMs? Correct? And your WOT RPMS are 300 higher? You didnt post WOT numbers

No, the WOT is still at 4800 maybe 4850 rpms.  I'm still having a slight issue at WOT with my stbd engine only getting to 4650 and at that point it is out of sync with my port, but it's in sync up to about 4600rpm.  The 300rpms lower is my cruising speed at around 30-31mph is now 3750 instead of 4050.  & yes, speed is a little faster at idle but not rpms.

Thanks I think those props will work perfect for me
    Can you adjust your idle speed down a little bit?

Handy, I definitely think they would work great for you!  You would notice a huge improvement in hole shot, lower cruising speed capability on plane, efficiency and still same top end.  Don't be overly concerned about the idle speed.  I'm talking maybe another 1-2mph speed just clicked into gear.  It just means when docking you may have to go into neutral another time or two to keep speed down.

Definitely worth the price.  I had two different people on my dock look at them and think I spent $1500 a prop because they look to be hand made. 

Great news Dream...I've been eyeing the Hill 4 blade props for my B2 drives for some time now. It's good to know that you got good results with them. My motors both turn near the top end of the recommended RPM range with the stock 3 blade aluminum props. Based on your experience, it seems that going to the Hill 4 blade prop sized at an inch less pitch than the stock Mercruiser 3 blade allowed the WOT RPM to remain in the proper operating range on your boat, correct?

Handy - I think what Dream meant is that he can achieve a 30 MPH cruise speed at 300 RPM less that with the stock Merc 3 blade props.

Right, which means even less fuel burn than I already achieve over gassers. LOL