considering a 2004 410 fiesta vee

looking to use this boat along the mid Atlantic - NJ - Va VIA the ocean - can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of this boat? 

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Oh, boy, it really depends on how you want to use it.  It is a very heavy boat and does burn a lot of fuel.  I guess I need to ask what type of drives (I'm assuming B-3 with 496 engines).  Everyone loves the full size fridge, until you anchor out all weekend and have to run the generator.  Washer/Dryer (if it has it), is really quite small and empties waste water into same tank as head (so it can fill it quickly).  Some of the seacocks are a little harder to access (under the aft cabin bedding), but not absolutely terrible.  Compared to the 420 or 400, no seat at all on the swim platform.  If it has a hardtop, that is a huge bonus. 

For a 2004, there may be a lot of items that after years of use, need replaced (just with maintenance).  For instance, transom plates.  Is the hull colored? (or white?)  A colored hull can definitely be more maintenance, but are beautiful.

I know another forum member that keeps his 400 boat in the NJ area and tends to replace his coupler often.  He states it's due to the saltwater conditions that eats it up.

The larger Rinkers are all a great boat for the value, especially used. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets see the pictures!
  • KreggKregg Member Posts: 2
    It's blue - we wouldn't not anchor up for the weekend at sea more take longer trips and end up ina marina. Not sure of dive since they just say inboard. Merc 8.1 fwc **** motors. This will new to me going from 24 outboard. Grew up with an I/o never had an inboard or boat this large
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a big jump but go for it, I would if I could!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Don't go inbetween if you see yourself in a boat larger.  Just jump right in and save yourself the money of upgrading later.  Get some lessons and you will be a pro before you know it.  And even when you think you're a pro, just remember that you're not really.  We all bump into things and have issues no matter how many years experience.
    As for handling seas, they are heavy boats with a decent size beam.  You'll be in good shape in most normal Atlantic conditions.  When they get above 5' and short wave periods, very few boats are fun in those conditions.
    Those 410's are nice.  Definitely what i would be looking at if i weren't set on a flybridge and more beam.  I may be fire sailing my 360 at the end of the season if you decide to go smaller.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Fire sale? 360? PM me first please if you do! Looking for something to use as an apartment! :) 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Fire sale? 360? PM me first please if you do! Looking for something to use as an apartment! :) 
    Get a house boat
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a house boat kind of place.. 
    Dream gets .9 I think which is absurd

I get 0.7- 1.0mpg.  Mostly hangs between .7-.8 at a cruise speed of 32mph.  The 420 and 410 both burn a bit more.  I guess it's strange, but yes now that I think about it, every 410 I've seen has V-drives.  And yet the 420's are different.  Why the difference @alswagg ?  The 420 and 410 are the same hull, correct?  Just a different swim platform.

Same with the 4 blade props?
    J3ff said:
    Yep fire sale indeed. We looked at an Ocean 48 today that was perfect. Just need to sell this baby. If this is something you might be interested in this season lmk. Drive up to Napatree tomorrow and check it out. Or I heard @reneechris14 may already have two footitis and want it...
    shawnmjr said:
    I bet those diesels get some good mileage 
    Pretty crazy. The guy I talked to today was telling me his ocean 48 gets 35-40 gallons per hour on his 48k lb boat. Twin MAN 735hp diesels. That's basically what I get on my 360. 
    shawnmjr said:
    I bet those diesels get some good mileage 
    Pretty crazy. The guy I talked to today was telling me his ocean 48 gets 35-40 gallons per hour on his 48k lb boat. Twin MAN 735hp diesels. That's basically what I get on my 360. 
    Your hooked LOL
    They don't put gas engines in many boats over 42 feet
    Remember Craig, that fuel burn in the 48 is more likely a much slower speed. The same boat as mine in diesel has a cruise speed about 26-28 mph and burns 60-70% of what I do at my cruise of 32 mph.

No way .6 at 30. 
    What about the Volvo IPS?
    Hmmm, so @Dirtythirty has a completely different cabin layout than the stern drive 420s?  that is interesting.  Is the aft cabin smaller?

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    @Dream_Inn....I have never been in a 410 with stern drives...however, the 410 has double twin beds and mine has a single queen.  I also have a cabinet of drawers on the starboard side , along with a vanity and sink.  I wish I could give you the dimensions, but I am pretty sure that regardless of the engines and/or drives, the aft cabin is the same size.  My diesels are larger  (by a lot) than the gas motors, but they do not intrude into my cabin. 
    All makes sense now.  Sounds like Dirty's 410 with IPS has the same setup in the aft cabin as my 400 (twin bed configuration/vanity/sink).  I've been in the 420 with stern drives and yes, it has the queen bed (but makes it tight in there and tough to get to some maintenance areas).

• stephanestephane Member Posts: 11
    I about to pull the trigger on a 410 Vdrive hard top  with 2 cummins 380 in mariland anything i should know or look survey is next week thank you 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the boat?  There's a good chance @Dream_Inn or one of our other members knows it.  
    edited October 2019
    boat is in saverna park name "eveyday sathurday" and it sit on land for 4 years broker havent disclose until i found it.  after hearding 410 waranty replacement for blister problem on those rinker boat im more and more worry cause those blister wont show up now as they got plenty of time to dry out anyone aware of this maybe Alswagg?

Does the 390 have stern drives??
    edited October 2019
    410 v drive 380hp im not after speed i want economic cruising 22mph all day  for me. i live in Canada Gaz is 6.80$ a gallon so diesel are a must for a boat this size 

stephane said:
    410 v drive 380hp im not after speed i want economic cruising 22mph all day  for me. i live in Canada Gaz is 6.80$ a gallon so diesel are a must for a boat this size 

How much is diesel??
    cruising speed should be way over 1 mpg. dont know where you took those number but this is mostly impossible. follow consumption chart https://www.sbmar.com/cummins-marine-diesel-performance-curves/
    diesel are easily predictable at a given RPM they will alway use same GPH please see cummins chart at full trotle 3060RPM QSB use 20.1 GPH each or 40.2 GPH for twin if we say max speed  WOT 34 mph this mean  .87 mpg. and we all know full trolle is the worst MPG you could do. in fact to do .6mpg it would mean the boat max speed 24 mph at full trottle very unlikely
    Alswagg said:
    If I remember correct, the 410 diesel got .6 mpg.  
    This boat at cruising speed should do at least 1 mpg. Dont know where you took this number but at WOT should do around 34 mph min. right?  QSB 380hp at full trottle WOT  3060 RPM use 20.1 gph each 34MPH / 40.2 GPH = .85mpg.  in fact  .6MPG the boat should  24mpg max speed and this is very unlikely here is fuel curve for QSB 380 
    https://www.sbmar.com/cummins-marine-diesel-performance-curves/
    I know the 390 with diesels and stern drives get ~1.2-1.4mpg.  I can't imagine a 410 (much more weight) with inboards, get anywhere near 1.0mpg when comparing.  

My 400 with stern drive and gas gets 0.8mpg on average at a speed of 28kts.  Sometimes 0.9mpg and really perfect conditions I've seen 1.0mpg.