Options

Is Your Colored Hull Chalky?

explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
For a number of years I have had 2 Blue Hulled Rinker Cruisers. (342 Fiesta Vee, 370 EC). They are a struggle. Actually they were both very chalky and neglected when I bought them. My most recent, the 370 was really bad almost totally white. Needless to say I literally spent thousands to bring them back utilizing probably every method anyone could mention. The problem is after sanding, compounding, and waxing it would look a lot better  but the truth is I was fighting a losing battle. Shortly after the boat was done and in the water the white would start coming back. Even when the boat is freshly done and you put it next to another undamaged hull you can see just how bad off you really are. 

Recently I have heard some talk about Island Girl Products. After years of frustration and not wanting to use products like Poliglow I was skeptical. One day when I had some time I called Island Girl to find out what the deal was. I spoke with the owner and inventor and he impressed me so I decided with nothing to lose I would give his product a shot. 

OH MY GOD! THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I followed directions and wiped it on with a paper towel. It took the white out completely. I was shocked. This is unbelievable. Complete restoration with one wipe. Little to no labor. 

I also decided to use another product he had to seal the hull. It was a wipe on product that the owner said dries 3x harder than the gel coat itself. He assured me that once this is done my problems were over. He told me that I could wax after this if I wanted to but he felt it was unnecessary. It produced a mirror shine that would last a couple years with regular washing. So far everything he said has been true.

I did not take any before pictures of my boat but I walked down the dock to my friends black rinker that was in real trouble. I took one wipe with the de-oxidizer on a section and took this picture four hours later. This was just one wipe with a paper towel. No buff out, sealer or wax. (We are doing his boat for real this week) 

My boat looks awesome and I wish I had some before pics but I will post some after pics.

Bella Sabrina II  370EC

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Can't wait to see your boat this weekend!  you may want to bring a sample of the stuff, cause I'm sure there will be a boat or two we can see it work on. :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The De-Oxidizer is called Elixir and the sealer is called Mirror Glaze.
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

i just placed an order for the hawaiian 2 step process

1)elixir

2)mirror hard superglaze and a complimentary 4ozs of "simply brilliant" superwax

expensive products but only a fraction of what i spend on detailers annually

i had a long conversation with the owner...seems like a nice guy...said if it didn't meet my expectations to send it back for a full refund

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me love my plain off-white colored hull. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Makes me love my plain off-white colored hull. :)
    That was specifically one item I had to have when we bought our boat last year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Seems to good to be true. The chalk is coming back on my blue hull. I need to do something soon. I was thinking presta products but perhaps this is the answer.
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    My blue hull is bad too.  Was going to rewax the top sripe again on Friday.  Would love to see more pics too.  The Admiral would flip if I spent that and it didn't work. 

• Options
    This seems to be the real thing. Only time will tell how long the shine lasts. I went down to the boat again tonight (Half price pizza night at the marina). Everyone couldn't believe the shine. If this holds I'll never compound and wax again. The boat is so shiny it looks dirty because of all the reflection from the dock and the surrounding boats. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Seems to good to be true. The chalk is coming back on my blue hull. I need to do something soon. I was thinking presta products but perhaps this is the answer.
    I feel for you. I paid almost $2,000.00 when I first bought my present boat to have it wet sanded, compounded, and then three more steps to final polish. It looked great when they were done (4 guys). The next day I called them up crying. The white came back overnight. I paid them more to come back and redo it deeper. It lasted a little while but before long the white was coming back. This spring I had them compound and wax it as I usually do but in the back of my mind I just know I am losing this battle and I am going to have to paint the boat. Hopefully that has all changed. I am psyched!
    I LOVE MY BLUE HULL! 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I am also on the losing end of the faded blue hull battle. I am in the northeast-I wax in April. I also wax in October before I shrinkwrap the boat all the way down to the waterline. This past spring I had a professional compound, wax and polish thinking maybe there is a buildup which may help if it was removed--2 weeks later like everyone else-the white is coming through. I was ready to give in and paint the hull this winter--maybe now I may hold off. When you do your friends black hull this weekend can you please post some pictures? Also please keep us informed as to how your hull is holding up. I also love the blue hull and was going to paint it blue again--now there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My 2008 320 with the blue hull is starting the "chalky" look as well - which is pretty annoying since I buff / wax 2 times each season using buff magic followed by the pro polish. I also thought that maybe I had a buildup of old wax / polish but even after buffing 2 days ago, the chalky look is already coming back :-( I actually took 1000 grit sandpaper and sanded a small section of the port side stern, re-buffed / polished. That section looked great - for about 2 days. Please let us know if the Island Girl products last and if they do, then I'll also give them a try!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Here I go and don't flame me but...... Beware the hype and read beyond the pitch. Look for stories of the longterm issues and pictures of when it occasionally starts to fail in patches. I'm not lumping all of the Polyglow, polimagic products together but read all the way through this stuff first.

U.V. eventually breaks down all polymers and if you've ever bought a boat that has these polymers after they age/peel/yellow you'd wish you'd have taken the tried an true route of an effective (yes, aka exhausting) compounding/polishing and quality wax application. Knowledgeable buyers will even want to know if these products have been applied to a hull and will deduct the cost of removal from the sale price or insist it's removed prior to closing. It can be brutal.

I'd highly recommend that you do some objective research, disregard the hype and initial joy at the early shine and place credence on the proper steps used by true finishing professionals, not brokers or sellers who often use this as a quick fix to make a tired/scratchy gelcoat temporarily shine for a sale.

Gelcoat is used by manufacturers for a reason, it's tough, relatively thick, and can be brought back to life with a regular quality waxing....IF... the (1)prep/(2)compounding/(3)polishing was done correctly. That means effectively compounding AND polishing out the mircro scratches BEFORE waxing, otherwise wax is only a very temporary sealer shine of a hull covered with tiny abrasions that quickly attract further sun damage. A white hull isn't immune to this type of damage, it's just less noticeable (certainly a plus to some).

Here's the best link I've found regarding the proper way to get your gelcoat to shine just like the day it came from the showroom(or better). (HOW-TO LINK)  It's not magical and there's a very specific sequence to it that is usually cut short somewhere in the process.

There are numerous objective discussions and pics on the net regarding the real life use of these polymers (aka floorwax) on your boat hull. Don't be too hasty in racing to a conclusion on how magical these products are. In the end of course, if it works for you and never fails then shazaam. It's shiny.

Just sayin'. There's really no free lunch when it comes to restoring your hull.  Fair winds, Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    @tikihut2: great post!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

My heart goes out to you all with colored hulls. They really look terrific, but I am not sure I am up to all of the work trying to keep them looking that way.

I assume this is always an issue regardless of the color, manufacturer, etc?

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TikiHut I was waiting for someone like you to come along and say exactly what you said. I have owned boats for the last 20 years and there is nothing you will be able to offer me in this discussion. I have spent thousands and seen a lot of stuff. Myself and others have spent time looking at this stuff with due diligence. It is not floor wax or anything like Poliglow. That's the whole idea. That's why I brought it to the groups attention. Well thanks for your input anyway. Its always nice to know that there is a Mr. Doom & Gloom around. If you have something objective to say regarding any of the FACTS of the product please do otherwise spare me.  
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Hey explore, Welcome to the forum. My post wasn't a personal attack merely objective input based on the valid experience of many other professional finishers, boat mfgs and detailers. Sorry you took it personal. Never said you might not be on to something super fantastically awesome and unique, only that there might be more to it than the fountain of youth it seems to be.

Feel free to spare yourself and only read opinions based on your revelations.....and mere 20yrs of boating experience. ;)

Best regards, Mr Doom 8-X
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I'm in with Drew. Last year I got a quote on a wrap for the top stripe and I'm definitely going for it this off season. I've seen whole hulls done and they last 15 years. If they get scratched you can just replace a section. Maybe I'm just tired. Just got back from waxing the stripe again to know it will fade in a week.

• Options
    TikiHut2 said:
    Hey explore, Welcome to the forum. My post wasn't a personal attack merely objective input based on the valid experience of many other professional finishers, boat mfgs and detailers. Sorry you took it personal. Never said you might not be on to something super fantastically awesome and unique, only that there might be more to it than the fountain of youth it seems to be.

Feel free to spare yourself and only read opinions based on your revelations.....and mere 20yrs of boating experience. ;)

Best regards, Mr Doom 8-X
    Your entire post didn't have one thing to say about the actual product under discussion. You just assumed that you knew more than everyone else and you would re-explain what everyone already knows. Your post was condescending and annoying to me. Again, If you have anything productive to add regarding the actual facts of the product let's hear it.  
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Why so defensive over such a flawless product? Its not like Im a promoter of the compounding industry. The net has plenty of input regarding the pros and cons of these sealers without dragging myself further into a salespitch.

Ive considered these products, done the inquiries and felt like it was over hyped. Not a complete farce just pushed with a bit too much zeal.

It's only a simple matter of encouraging a deeper look into the claims and the shortfalls from some consumers who had issues over time. It's my opinion posted on our public forum not an attack on yours where you can delete unflattering viewpoints. Pretty sure that objectivity and civility will always count on RBOC.

Not really intimidated by your misplaced aggression, it actually encourages others to look into both sides of the product. Thanks.
    Fairs winds, Mike
  • Options
    I'm definitely on the fence about the Island Girl products and I did check out Tiki's link ( that same article was linked on the old RBO website so I had actually read it before). On one hand, I am pretty skeptical about the products yet one the other hand, I have yet to figure out why after 5.5 seasons with this hull that for some reason, this year the blue hull is going chalky on me. What is the magical reason that after 5.5 seasons of buffing / waxing twice a season with Pro Polish compound / Buff Magic sealer wax and a great looking hull that I suddenly find myself with this issue? The info on the link provided by Tiki certainly looks like great info on restoring neglected hulls - but I can tell you that my hull has not been neglected unless keeping it outdoors in the summer constitutes neglect. I'd find that article much more beneficial had the author gone back after a few weeks and taken additional pictures once the hull had been in the sun. If I'd have taken pictures of my hull before splashing this season, those pictures would have shown that the hull looked great - only to have the chalky look now. Argh!!!
  • Options
    Frodo, The contributor that compiled the info in that link may have your answer. I don't know him personally but he is an OCD detail guy and respected cruiser who has some of the most helpful and through boat maintenance blogs I've found. I'd drop him an email/pm or post on one of his blogs.

I'm not using the products you listed but if there is any silicone in those it may be giving you a quick false shine that just won't last. Otherwise the hull may not be getting effectively stripped when prepping to compound or polish adding to layers of finishing materials used in prior years. Lastly if the polishing phase isn't thoroughly done you're only waxing over/sealing an imperfect finish of micro scratches that will soon return to a less satisfying look.

I have a few spots around deck fittings at the stern that I can't get to very well and the process breaks down as I get tired/impatient allowing a few spots of lighter color to get less attention. If I wax them they look good for a week or so and then fade. Otherwise the broad sections are pretty straight on great. Colored and white hulls in the relentless tropical sun are nothing new and almost every one I see that looks great simply means that someone has spent a ton of time or cash keeping it fresh. I certainly feel your pain when it comes to time/money spent on boat upkeep.

Please post what you end up doing. Hope there's something in those thoughts that'll help. Mike
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    TikiHut2 said: Why so defensive over such a flawless product? Its not like Im a promoter of the compounding industry. The net has plenty of input regarding the pros and cons of these sealers without dragging myself further into a salespitch. Ive considered these products, done the inquiries and felt like it was over hyped. Not a complete farce just pushed with a bit too much zeal. It's only a simple matter of encouraging a deeper look into the claims and the shortfalls from some consumers who had issues over time. It's my opinion posted on our public forum not an attack on yours where you can delete unflattering viewpoints. Pretty sure that objectivity and civility will always count on RBOC. Not really intimidated by your misplaced aggression, it actually encourages others to look into both sides of the product. Thanks. Fairs winds, Mike

Again you go on and on saying "
    These Products". What are you referring to? Do you have anything constructive to say about the specific product I am talking about? The answer is no you do not. You just felt like you had to chime in on something even though you really have nothing to say. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Here is a pick of my boat this weekend at the Rinker raft up. Its not the best pic but the blue is looking real good. It used to be all white and chalky. Ask anyone that was there. They will tell you that this stuff is amazing.
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admire you fellas for attempting to maintain those colors when they are exposed to the elements they are.... That's dedication and respect for your own property and investment.. it speaks well of y'all.. but nothing matters before the but, right? :-D

I'll give this stuff a whirl and see how it does.. I'm all about hard shelling... But:

Once that factory shine is compromised, anything you do to recover it short of replacing it is temporary.. some maybe more temporary than others, huh? I mean, if you wanna split hairs, even the factory finish is temporary, right?

I'm going to give this stuff a shot.. it sounds better than most based on what's being shared here, but I will end up wrapping the boat.. unless that stuff can change the color of my floater, I don't think it will work for what I've got in mind. :-)
  • Options
    I believe the purpose of this forum is to be able to chime in on topics, that's how we share ideas, opinions, etc. :D

You can take it or leave it, but unless someone is in error, and I'll admit to that on occasion X_X , there is no sense in being combative. Just my .02

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Itsa wrap for me and my opinion on how to maintain your gelcoat. No room for objective insight here. Best wishes. I really do hope the roll/wipe on plastic layer holds up. Really.
  • Options
    I agree with B_D, I don't think Tiki was targeting Explore7425 - Tiki's post seemed more of a " buyer beware" and I certainly understand that especially since Island Girl products aren't on the inexpensive side of the aisle. Personally, I've been a boater for about 28 years and I've certainly been conned more than once when it comes to boat stuff, so I appreciate using this forum as a sounding board if / when I have issues with my boat. BTW Tiki- Pro Polish and Buff Magic are made by Yacht Bright and do not contain any silica or silicone related additives. They actually have a pretty good following and reputation which is why I've used only these products for the last 4 seasons with very good (until now) results.
  • Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Frodo, I did a lot of research ( you probably remember some on the old forum) on Buff Magic and Pro Polish before I started using them last winter. One of the things that impressed me most about Buff Magic is that it is the product used at the Sea Ray factory on their brand new boats. If you do not believe this it is easily checked out online. Good luck to everyone on their colored hulls, they are beautiful but I like the ease of a white hull compared to the work of colored, although this time of the season a white hull seems like a lot of work still.