Options

Is Your Colored Hull Chalky?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    edited July 2013

Well, I can say we tried the product on a black oxidized hull this past weekend.  Now, the initial wipe with paper towel seemed to clean it for the small amount of effort done.  I think it impressed the owner enough he is going to give it a try.  The real key is how long will it last.  I think that is what everyone is after.  Only time is going to tell.  I will be able to give updates if the black hull owner of the 390 does it as well.  His boat is slipped two down from mine.

I added the info from Bella here so we don't start another topic.  Some guys from the raft up wanted some info:

For all of you that asked about the product line this weekend at the raft up here is the information:

Island Girl Products

Island Girl Products 
    PO Box 660 
    Honolulu, HI. 96809
    PHONE:1-800-441-4425
    Office hours: 
    8:30am to 4:30 pm 
    Hawaiian Standard Time 
    (6 hrs behind East Coast time)
    7 days a week

I used the two step process but he has a number of nice products available. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I'm hard pressed to find reviews on this Island Girl product in the boating community.  However it seems like its been on the market for over 5 years now.  Are they just bad marketeers?  I would like to try it, but i'm one for lots of objective reviews before I bite the bullit...  Anyone else have luck searching the net for objective reviews?
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Waxed mine again on Friday and by Saturday chaulky again.  I'm with you guys.... I'm the original owner and have been meticulous in the care but as of this year it's no longer salvageable for any period of time.  I have to wonder on the thickness of gel coat on the Rinkers.  My last boat was the same color and was beautiful 10 years later.  Now that boat wasn't slipped however I didn't spend nearly the time I do with this boat maintaining the gel coat.  Again I'm with B D I'm wrapping the boat; at least above the rub rail.

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    @shaun - I do remember your discussions about Buff Magic / Pro Polish from the old forum - my decision to try these products actually came from watching the results from other folks using them in my harbor and seeing the resutls - that's why I started using this brand. I'm pretty much at the breaking point that I'm willing to give the island girl products a shot - since I've tried the wet sanding with 1000 grit and doing the buff magic / pro polish only to have splotchy results within 2 days. I'll place a order and certainly write up my results here on the forum.
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I just received my "island girl" products today.

I guess I know what im doing this weekend

:P

I wil take before and after pics for ya'll

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I guess I am old fashion here. I looked closely at the first post pic and could still see issues with the blue gel coat. it looks bright but can still see major back ground issues that would drive me crazy. I have the same blue via 2006 and in some places I can see a bit of fog deep in my gel coat. I am sure the previous owner used cheep wax! I polish with a water base polish so not to plug the glass pores and wax with a high end marine wax twice a year no issues. but I am not in 90 weather 52 week a year either. I am also covinced that some glass reacts to certain polishes and waxs which chemically harms the gel coat over time.... via fogging and white chalking. maybe why some have mentioned that just a few seasons from new the color fails over nite....

my two bits...
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gel coat guru in our area told me years ago, because all my hulls are coloured - usually black - from the rub rail down, to: wash it the first time when brand new TWICE with dish detergent to get all of the mold waxes and contaminents off. Let it dry thoroughly then use a high quality carnuba wax - he likes Meguiars - particularly the Flagship or Mothers pure carnuba, which is actually only about 30% carnuba or it would be too hard to apply. By far the best way to apply the wax is to hand apply it and hand buff it off. For the rest of the season use a baby shampoo or new environmental washes that do not strip wax off. If possible do not wash with hard water as this will plug the gel coat pores with minerals that will reflect light and appear cloudy over time. Buff out scratches, but carefully as buffing - improperly done - damages more gel coat than sunshine and hard water combined. In fact buffing even done to spec can push contaminants into the gel coat pores and seal them there, something that rarely happens with hand buffing. Wash the boat frequently with lake water or softened water and towel it off if possible. Small amounts of silicone in a wax are okay to revitalize the plasticizers in the gelcoat but never too much silicone or it will look great for 6 months then look like **** for years. At the end of the season do two washes again with dish detergent and repeat. When the boat is stored for long periods keep it out of the sun even with a cheap tarp. I have followed his advice for years with super success. This year for the first time I bought a small portable water softener from West marine. Man does that water ever dry nice! He said that his waxing and care method takes a bit more time and effort "up front" but a lot less than dealing with a ruined gel coat. Regards. MT
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best updates on maintaing your finish that Ive read. Great info that addresses many of the issues voiced here. Two thumbs up. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Just wondering why baby shampoo would be better than boat soap? Why would'nt they just make boat soap like baby shampoo???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Hey raybo3 - I asked him that as I thought he was "pulling my leg" as he can be a bit of a joker, but he replied for years he used Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo as it had to be free of any harsh chemicals that could damage a newborn's eyes. He said it is a very gentle soap that will not remove wax. I haven't seen him for awhile but I have used his recommendation for years and have great looking coloured hulls. After I finished washing and waxing (as I outlined above) my 2013 EC 310 the owner of the dealership walked by my boat and said he had never seen a black hull with that deep a finish. I am sure there are many gentle soaps out there and many great waxes. Because I don't know any better I have followed his advice. Regards. MT
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Michael I am going to give it a try even though I have a white hull. I bet I will have the only boat with no tears....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

raybo3, too funny! I do have to admit that after washing, hand waxing and hand buffing the entire hull of my EC 310 I was sure my arms were 3" longer and I took a couple of tylenol 3s. Next year I might hire a couple of the marina's summer students and supervise them doing it! MT

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I use a great quality car soap which we use at the dealship, will not remove wax off the boat, no harsh chemicals either.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    photo photo67_zps7f360b15.jpg

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    edited July 2013

heres the finished product on my 2007 blue hull

looks really good but "holy crap"its time consuming when you're working by yourself

pros

looks good

does a great job around the thru hull fittings and rinker logo because its liquid vs wax

cons

laborious to work with if your following the directions with cure times...the blue sides and transom occupied my whole weekend and my shoulders are killing me

I don't know how it will hold up...only time will tell

Post edited by vquad on

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Do you have before picts?
  • Options

It does look really good btw.

• Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    That looks great. I did my boat (370). I did it in one day and I know I cut corners but it was hard work in the water. I figured I would do it again in the fall when the boat comes out and really take my time and do it right. All that being said I was very happy with the results I got. Like Vquad said only time will tell how long this actually lasts. Honestly I would be happy with 3 months. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I guess I am old fashion here. I looked closely at the first post pic and could still see issues with the blue gel coat. it looks bright but can still see major back ground issues that would drive me crazy. I have the same blue via 2006 and in some places I can see a bit of fog deep in my gel coat. I am sure the previous owner used cheep wax! I polish with a water base polish so not to plug the glass pores and wax with a high end marine wax twice a year no issues. but I am not in 90 weather 52 week a year either. I am also covinced that some glass reacts to certain polishes and waxs which chemically harms the gel coat over time.... via fogging and white chalking. maybe why some have mentioned that just a few seasons from new the color fails over nite.... my two bits...

Just a note on that picture you are referring to. You are absolutely right but just so you know I actually did that. I didn't really do it right. I just wiped it one time with a paper towel. I was just amazed at the immediate difference. His boat was really bad. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I took some before pics but was just to busy today at the office to post them. I'll try to get some up tomorrow. I did the 2 step process with the "elixer" and the supplied white etching pad on Saturday and then spent all day Sunday applying the wax in the am and removing in the late afternoon. That first beer on Sunday evening tasted like heaven.(along with 2 alleve)

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I have been following this from the stands. It seems like the results are good so far. Please let us know how it stands up to the sun. I have a blue hulled 320 and it is terrible even with wax 2 times a year. Figured there is at least 2-3 months left here in the northeast but longer in the south. I am curious how it stands up to the southern sun.
  • Options
    photo photo70_zps3c8be35c.jpg

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    edited July 2013

the upper pic is before

the lower pic is after

clearly a difference but as I stated before the question is how long does this product last???

the jury is still out on that one...

Post edited by vquad on

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    photo photo68_zpse1af0c0f.jpg

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options

take it easy there ansel adams

hahaha

:)>-

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    I never seem able to write a short post. A guy got out of a beautiful Formula 37 it had all the toys - electric s.s. motor driven dinghy package, sat tv full scan radar. totally pimped-out. It also had deep blue hull from the rub rail down. I could see from the boating lisc stickers it was at least 4 years old. The guy walked up to our boat and said nicest looking black hull I have ever seen. What do you do? I told him what was in my post earlier in this thread. I also mentioned all of the problems we are wrestling with. He said - I retired a few years back after a career as a senior executive of several boat companies. I looked at his Formula and he said no not that one. I found what he said interesting. As he started talking my wife walked by and I borrowed a notepad and a pencil and took notes. He said how long and well gelcoat lasts depends on so many variables, it is a wonder that any of it looks good after a season. Sometimes it is doomed before it even leaves the factory floor. You have fibreglass that is layered onto the gelcoat and it is still off gassing long after the hull has been " popped" or even driven out of the mold, sometinmes with sledges. If the gel coat guy pauses for a minute as he sweeps the gun, if the compressor hiccups, if the electricity to the compressor surges, if the spray picks up contaminamts.....you get it? That's why the car companies went to robotic sprayers in paint booths. BTW he said that's already here for some boat companies.When you smell that "new boat smell" that's the chemicals, mostly resins off gassing" and it goes right out through the fibreglass. Boats are usually shipped while they are still curing. Some boat companies, I think he said MJR Yachts vacuum bag their entire hull once its fibreglassed and the excess resins are squeezed into absorbent pads. These are then removed and the whole mold goes into an oven for heat curing for, I think he said 12 hours. Even once factory wrapped, boats can be quickly subjected to blazing sun or freezing cold as they head down the highway on the trucks.The boats are often bounced down a highway on a trailer while the hulls are still curing, supported by a few pads. **** of a way to start your life? If you don't wash your hull (particularly, a colored one) correctly the first time and worse yet speed buff the mold waxes etc into the still curing hull .....He said no short cuts are worth spit. If you want a really nice colored hull you will have to work at it, the WT way. I asked what the **** that was -- whisky and tylenol. Wash the hull with water that has a low mineral content or it will get "foggy" fast. Use a good quality wax (basically the same as the guy I quoted in my earlkier thread said).  He stressed wiping off the hull after waxing it. What do you think water spots are? Do you think it is a good idea to wax water spots into your gel coat? He said most quality boat soaps will not remove wax unless they are designed to and should state so clearly on the label. No point washing off the wax you applied last week, right? He has a small inline filter and water softener right in his engine compartment. Saves all the interior fittings, s.s. and his colored hull. Sorry to go on and on. Thought you might find that interesting. MT
  • Options
    Sorry that should have read wipe the hull off after WASHING it....
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post MT. Plenty of details regarding the mfg process and on-going maintenance that validates the WT method. Other options are certainly available but it sounds like nothing long-term happens without following the process regularly and exactly. For those who unwittingly bought the proverbial "monday" boat and are dealing with irregularities I sure hope you find the particular solution for your boat.

Have a great season, now I'm heading out for more Tylenol. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    photo photo68_zps1d216541.jpg

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"