Options

Is Your Colored Hull Chalky?

Comments

• Options
    gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    It was the original color....Rinker called it Merlot (might still).  Might not have been my first choice, but has really grown on us since it is much less common.  When I made the decision to paint it after dropping a small fortune over the years trying to maintain it I was told it would be easier to stay with the same color....now I'm glad I did.  They pulled the boat, did a wet sand on the colored part, primed it and gave it 3 coasts applied by hand.  Life span is supposed to be a minimum of 10 years.  I have touch up paint and have not had to use it....I painted a small piece of fiberglass a couple years ago with the touch up paint and I compare it to check for fading...so far nothing I can see.

Greg
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Greg--that is really good to know. I have never spoken to anyone who painted their Rinker before. I really love mine. I have a 2005 320 and it has the blue hull. I have replaced the cockpit carpet, canvas, installed a bow thruster and now during the winter will get rid of the problematic Faria gauges and install Smartcraft. At this point I may as well paint it and will be good for a long time. Mine is all faded even though I wax 2 times a year here in the northeast. My problem was I bought the boat 2 years old and it sat in the prior owners backyard uncovered. He boat the boat at the NY Boat Show in 2005 and was scared of the boat-owned a 13 foot Whaler. Talking about a jump. The Blue was already faded but I figured it would be nothing to bring it back-boy was I wrong. The boat only had 10 hours on the motors and 2 hours on the generator. The cabin carpet still have the plastic on it. It was essentially new and I did get it really cheap. Thank you very much for the info--did you do a boot stripe in paint?
  • Options
    MaverickMaverick Member Posts: 11
    I have just learnt most Chris Crafts and modern Rivas are painted, if it's good enough for them........................
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I always figured Riva was simply Italian for Rinker!!!

Greg
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Greg, you have me thinking.

I have a little bit of dock rash, actually from a concrete wall, on the starboard aft quarter.  I do not want to explain how that happened.

I will not be happy until the boat looks like it just came out of the show room..

Thank you for the idea.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Tony, you are right down the road from me.....if you ever want to come take a look in person you are welcome to.  Or, if you are out and about on the water let me know.

I'm in Riviera Dunes

Greg
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Greg,

That is awesome.  We will be in touch.  We have lunch once in a while over there.  I would love to see what you did.  Your boat looks great in the photo.

Tony

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of using the Awlgrip for a boot stripe.  I was looking at mine and it's days are numbers since the tape is starting to crack.  Plus I could raise the stripe at the same time as it's probably 3-4" too low at the aft anyways.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many older sailboats I'd known have gone this route with great results. It's challenging to prep for and to apply and should probably be done (or at least overseen) by someone who specializes in using it but in the right hands it's the finish of choice for an older hull.  In the long haul it's incredibly tough stuff and the finish can be fantastic.....as Gary has shown.

A boot stripe is a great idea and could be a diy project if you research the prep and watch the weather for wind, humidity and temp. That'd certainly make a great thread of it's own.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking this stuff over, looks like a lot of prep work!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I think it is not trivial.......hire a pro.

Greg
  • Options
    Free Awlgrip Prep guide PDF  (LINK)

An interesting Youtube vid on applying Awlgrip that validates Garys endorsement of needing a pro. (LINK)

Painting a whole boat is certainly not simple but a boot stripe is definitely possible if you have any fundamental automotive painting experience and follow the well laid out guide. No, you definitely wouldn't want me to paint your car or the broad side of a boat but with a pretty well equipted shop (or even in a boat yard under the right conditions) most practical guys could prep and brush on a boot stripe over a weekend that'd turn out pretty sweet.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Greg not Gary......

And, its a bunch of work but not crazy $$.  It is an affordable "upgrade", think $4-5K (for what I had done, which was the entire colored section of the hull on an '06 342) but almost no maintenance required.  In FL I was having the hull done professionally twice a year.....so the money comes back pretty quick.

Greg
  • Options
    omg I did it three times, Sorry Greg  :-/

Definitely a great idea and yours looks like a champ. Where was it done?
  • Options
    No sweat, just busting your b&#ls!! 

Palm Coast FL.....Intercoastal just north of Ormond Beach / Daytona Beach.

Greg

• Options

Greg,

How many coats did they put on? I have been getting pricing for my 320 more than you paid but they do 2 coats. Take the rub rail off and thru hulls out. Also like you from the rubrail down.

John

• Options
    You must be getting NY prices...lol.

Mine was prep (sand, etc), prime, 3 coats (if I recall, need to double check the paperwork)...final coat was a technique called tipping.

Greg
  • Options
    thats right in the range that I was

Greg
  • Options

You are not kidding NY prices. Gee it would be cheaper for me to ship the boat out of state-this is crazy. $4000 and your boat is larger. That is not fair.

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Funny I was just going to come back and add to this thread.  I have been gone for a while.  Vacation, kids sports, and winterizing/prepping the boat for the winter.  I spoke to the marina that services that boat and he stated Rinker's and Crownlines have the same problems with their color.  He says their gel coat process is not used by other manufacturers.  He said most paint on the color not gel coat it.  I will say after reading through the thread at extent I was able to restore the color better than the past two seasons but now am seeing some thin spots in the gel coat.  The good thing is I was quoted just under $2000 to repaint the color on the boat.  Hopfully the right way this time. 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIP. If you have recently waxed your hull make sure to tell the boatyard. I'm sure any real good hull techs will know to check - but I know first hand of several boats that were sanded before they were "stripped" (de-waxed) with a powerful cleaner (often varying strengths of acetone). In two cases the wax was sanded into the hull resulting in an uneven final finish. The guy who I go to strips the hull of wax , uses acetone in varying strengths to clean, sands and sprays three barrier coats before finishing the hulls. My 2 cents MT   P.S gvigrass - that was a beautiful job you had done! Wow!  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gel coat guy is refinishing mine. He is wet sanding with 800 then 1200, buff with 3M finish polish, wash then 2 coats of wax. He is on his 6th full day with 2 to go. Charged me 600. I threw my buffer out. LOL
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Jeez Handy, that beautiful finish from last year didn't last too long in that FL sun...  Good deal though.  Tough to find those rates up by me.  
  • Options
    Jeez Handy, that beautiful finish from last year didn't last too long in that FL sun...  Good deal though.  Tough to find those rates up by me.  
    Well he said I didnt do it correctly because I didnt wet sand the cloudiness out first. Who knew. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, was that $600 for the whole boat or just the side in the sun ? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    That is an unbelievable price Handy!  That sun has gotta be very harsh down there.  Then add the salt water as well.  Well worth it though if you use it all year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Handy, was that $600 for the whole boat or just the side in the sun?

That was for the whole blue hull.