200 miles under the keel in one day ... or, how a house fire ruined our cruise

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeahhhhh! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Congratulations bro. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Great news!  And now you can top it off with a new boating season.
  • Options
    I think Chris secretly wanted to remodel his house and made a fire 😵😵😵
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Glad to hear you are getting close to the finish line! Just in time to get that boat back out and relax!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    In a month you’ll be used to it and she’ll be looking for what to change....

Pleased for you as these long drawn out projects create a lot of stress for all. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    13 hours on my feet today.  I wish we weren't so picky about everything, but that's how it is.  I'll post some pix in a few days ... 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a long, LONG, well worth it project.  You will fully enjoy some R & R very soon! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtual inspection, we are making many changes. The way we do business. Now for all the unpacking, such fun. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    After 13 months, our attempt to finish the cruise we started last year got off to a rough start, with me almost catching the boat on fire!

As soon as I hit the throttles, the output hose popped off the port seawater pump.  (Apparently, when I replaced the impeller last weekend, I didn't pull the hose clamp up far enough.)  Well, I was at wide-open throttle trying to get on plane with full fuel, full water and 10 days of provisions.  Talk about an epic overheat ... one of the exhaust risers got so hot that it burned the paint!  

There were alarms blaring and a bit of smoke.  Both of us were wondering if we should abandon ship, and we were sure our voyage was over.  

Happy ending:  we limped back to the slip where I diagnosed and fixed the problem.  All's well, and the engine is running just fine.  We had a nice sunset Friday night at the site of a 2018 Potomac mini-Rinkervous with @Dream_Inn and @Onislandtime

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! Glad you figured it out! Looks like a great ending...
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Wow!  I was thinking about you guys after you sent out the text.  I was remembering the last time we saw you at spring cove was when you left and ending up going home for the fire.  Did you touch it back up with paint, or just wait until you get back?  You may also want to check if you burned out the rubber flappers in the exhaust when you get back.

Would love to meet up with you all this week, but I don't even think a quick ride over to St Michaels is going to work.  Our daughter is packing up and heading back to school on Thursday. Plan to be on boat Thursday night. I believe you are leaving to head back South Thursday?

• Options
    When I get home, I'll take the riser off and inspect the inside.  The boat has never been kept in salt water, but maybe it's due for replacement after 13 seasons and almost 800 hours.  If not, I'll paint it.  Or maybe leave it ... every scar tells a story!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Lucky man @LaRea and glad all ended up well. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you were able to limp it back to the dock, and salvaged a great trip out of it.  Beautiful Sunset pic 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Here's one of our post-fire construction/art projects:  a bar next to the kitchen.  This was a very satisfying project.  

The cabinets are ready-to-assemble cabinets that I bought online.  I added lighting and a walnut countertop, and installed slide-outs for bottle storage.  I also modified the two center doors by cutting out the panels and installing glass.

The really cool part is the backsplash, which was the Admiral's idea.  It's 99 pieces of walnut that are all cut to different thicknesses and glued to a backing board.  The pattern is from a painting by the abstract artist Piet Mondrian.  Each of the pieces is a "golden rectangle," which appeals to my inner math geek.  

Building it was quite a puzzle.  Each piece had to be individually laid out and then trimmed to a thickness that would be different from the surrounding pieces.  Then each one was numbered, sanded, treated with tung oil and glued in place.  

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Very nice @LaRea !!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Very nice!!!!  What's the block of wood for?  Looks like shot glasses or candle holders in it?

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! That backsplash is awesome. Where did you get your RTA cabinets from? I'm starting a bathroom remodel and have been looking for a good quality cabinet source.
  • Options
    Yeah, the block of wood has candle holders.  

The RTA cabinets are from rtacabinetstore.com.  For another room, I bought cabinets from samedaycabinets.com which is local, but they did not have anything in black.  

The quality is good for both of them.  I'm convinced that these cabinets are all made at one Chinese factory in batches of a hundred million, because they are pretty much identical.  The drawers are well-made and easy to assemble.  They have soft-close hinges and drawer slides.  Definitely nicer than the pre-assembled cabinets I've bought from Lowes in the past. 
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    That looks some good drinking
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    If we ever go back to having parties again ...
  • Options
    We could be your first 😂
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve.....are you actually old enough to remember Omega Man? Charlton (sp?) was getting pretty old by that time.
  • Options
    Yes MT. Watched that movie several times and Soylent green. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I am So sorry to hear, and glad you have good neighbors. good luck in the recovery