Options

Kohler 5ECD Generator

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also had a LOC code (Loss of coolant). I unplugged the raw water pressure switch and didn’t see that code after it was unplugged. Plenty of water shooting out the exhaust. New pressure switch is on its way.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I’m think I’m starting to realize why this generator has less than 80 hours on it!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I’m think I’m starting to realize why this generator has less than 80 hours on it!
    Funny I looked at that pic and thought “oh wow only 80 hours that’s why these sensors are going” and then read your last! Have you called partsdortechs? As long as you are buying from them they will give pretty good phone support, they will even call kohler for you and call you back.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks @Liberty44140 , I’ll give them a call and see what they say.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Liberty44140 I spoke to Partsfortechs, he’s thinking it’s the control board. He said it seems like the voltage side is working correctly because I have 120 at the panel and don’t see a voltage drop before it shuts down and gets the UU (under Voltage Code). He thinks the monitoring side is throwing these codes when they aren’t needed and shutting down. He gave me a phone number for a second opinion, I left a message. Hopefully I will hear back. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The tech called me back, he was a wealth of knowledge. He feels like all the codes might be fuel related. He wants me to check the injector pattern. He said the slightest bit of crud can set off all kinds of codes. He said he doesn’t want to see me buy a controller if it isn’t needed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Very interesting Aero. Last time I bought a control board they were $500 and I know they have gone up so yea hopefully you can narrow it down first. Have you run any fuel system cleaner through? I’ve always been a major user of fuel medic to keep the fuel system clean.

• Options
    Some progress today. I first used the bleeder by the injector to let some fuel out with the pump running. I had a white rag under it to see if anything came out with the fuel. Sure enough there were tiny specks on the rag. I removed the injector and cleaned it the best I could, I also ran the pump a little bit to flush out the system into a container. I reinstalled the injector and bled the system. The generator started right up, I let it run for a while before I turn on the ac, the compressor ran and the generator didn’t shutdown. About 15 minutes goes by and the generator shut down with the EC69 code(O2 switching fault) I didn’t get any other codes just the EC69. I reset and ran it again this time only using the range, all was good. I shut the range off then turned the hot water heater on, all was good for a little bit then it shut down with the EC69 code again. I left it as it was and didn’t go any further. On my way home I called the tech, he answered the phone and said “Keith, I’ll have to call you right back”. I was shocked he answered and he knew who I was. Sure enough he called me back 15 minutes later. He said the reason I’m most likely getting the EC69 code is because the generator was running too lean with the dirty injector and burned up the O2 sensor. He said it will run to a point when the controller senses a fault with the O2 sensor. I have a new O2 sensor to install and I ordered a new injector. I’ll get the old injector cleaned and will keep as a spare. Hope this will be it! @Liberty44140 a new controller for the 5ECD is about $1,100.00 !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020

By the way, whoever decided to paint all of the parts white should be fired. Once the fuel gets on the paint, it starts to peel off and gets everywhere! You need to be careful when everything goes back together.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    So after cleaning the injector, all the other codes went away except for the EC69. He said fuel issues will do that because the generator speed isn’t up to 100% and can cause the controller to throw faults.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my..I have been lucky so far with mine...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PartsForTechs is a great resource.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Wow $1k for the controller now! My 5e wasn’t digital like yours so it may have been much cheaper. My current boat has a 9EZD and I think the controller is $1800. 

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113 is one of those parts an injector and one an O2 sensor?
  • Options
    The second pic is the injector assembly with mount, the third is just the injector itself.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slight hijack but how do I turn the genny off without popping the hatch?! The panel has a momentary on switch but I can’t figure out how to turn it off...
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You have to make sure the switch on the generator is on auto not run. If it’s on run, you have to turn it off in the engine compartment I think.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It was on auto. I wonder if maybe it needs to run for a certain amount of time before it shuts off. 

Ran the gen all night and had one LOC shutdown (probably due to changing anode) but I reset it and otherwise no issues. 
  • Options
    How does the 12 volt system come into play with the generator? I know it’s used for starting but do the batteries need to be up to snuff for it to run? I noticed that my house batteries are low in the morning out on the hook, I go to start the generator and it will start, then I see the 12 volts drop some and the generator dies. I tried to put the charger on but don’t think it wasn’t on long enough. I think my house batteries need to be changed. With new house batteries, injector and O2sensor I hope all issues will be resolved.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I think my house are weak too. At the start of the season I put them on my dewalt charger to try to bring them back and it seemed to work somewhat. 

I wouldn’t think the house batteries should have any impact on genny performance. Just the starboard starter battery. 

Next year I will replace both house and also the charger. I have no confidence in it. 
  • Options
    My starboard battery is new this season. I definitely think the house batteries need to be changed. The cabin fridge is cool not cold the next morning after an overnight. Also during the night I can hear the fridge try to kick on but no juice. Works fine during the day with the batteries charged.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
     Slight hijack but how do I turn the genny off without popping the hatch?! The panel has a momentary on switch but I can’t figure out how to turn it off..

As @aero3113 states, if genny is set to “auto” you can start and stop from momentary switch on panel.  I haven’t found length of run time to have any affect on ability to shut down.  If not on “auto” all you can do at panel is turn on and off the blower.

• Options
    @Spyderweb , maybe a wire got disconnected at the back of the switch?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Spyderweb , I getting a little confused on what your saying. The run position is if you’re in the engine room and want to start it. Auto is so you can use the remote switch in the cabin.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I think maybe I was holding the switch down too long and it wasn’t shutting off as a result. 
  • Options
    Just push it once, that’s all you need to do.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I filled up the boat and starboard tank took 3 gallons more than port. Assuming equal fuel burn and with 6 hours of run time (most of which was with AC load), a half gallon per hour seems reasonable to me.  Obviously not exact fuel burn but nevertheless. 
  • Options
    @aero3113 You had me confused for a moment as I was agreeing with you.  I was using the term "panel" same as @YYZRC to mean electrical "panel" in the cabin, not the panel on the genny itself.  And again agree, just a push shuts it off, no need to hold it.
  • Options
    For the switch on the panel in the cabin to work, the panel on the generator needs to be set to auto.
    2008 330EC