Options

Rinker 330/340 2008+ Random Topics

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @Liberty44140 , it’s in my backyard. I know it’s easy work but I would rather use my time doing something else. Just the thought of trying to mix the paint makes me think it’s a good deal, LoL. @YYZRC it includes materials and prep. I wouldn’t be surprised if two guys show up also. I’ve been pretty impressed with them when they do the shrink wrap.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a quart on my old Four Winns 260 (28') so I would think a gallon unthinned would be sufficient for a 35'.  Not a job I would ever tackle again.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Are you guys doing only one coat?  Why not two?  If it's an ablative paint, two coats will last twice as long.  
  • Options
    With my 242 I only did one coat, 2 where needed. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    One unthinned coat lasted two seasons for me.  At the start of the second season I re-did the edge of the hull from the waterline down just so it looked nice.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    I had my Bayliner 285 done a few years ago for $1000 and I though it was a pretty good deal.  1gallon of paint.
  • Options
    I'm just saying, when I go to the trouble of painting, I apply two coats if not three.  The goal is to get a nice, thick layer of paint.  The thicker it is, the longer before I'll need to repaint.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Hmmm I always thought thinner was better
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Most bottom paints for power boats are ablative.  The outer layer constantly wears away, revealing new paint beneath.  If one coat lasts two seasons, two coats will last 3-4 seasons.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    I would get into "discussions" with my old yacht yard. When they pulled the boat for winter storage they would do a "complimentary" power wash to clean the hull -- but that would also strip off a lot of the bottom paint, then they'd come back and try to sell me on a bottom paint job. I would have to keep reminding them I didn't want the bottom power washed on haul out.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I called and told them I wanted them to paint the bottom. They were at my house yesterday by 1:00 and finished by 3:00. 2 guys, they even primed in areas that needed it and removed the stands to paint under them. I think it was a good deal!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edward24edward24 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how to get to the bulbs of tin interior overhead lights? TIA
  • Options
    Yes, you have to pry the lens off. Use something that won’t scratch the plating. I replaced my halogen bulbs with LED. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I called and told them I wanted them to paint the bottom. They were at my house yesterday by 1:00 and finished by 3:00. 2 guys, they even primed in areas that needed it and removed the stands to paint under them. I think it was a good deal!
    Are they coming back to apply a second coat? 

Read the directions.  Ablative paint is like a bar of soap.  As the outer surface wears away, it leaves fresh paint underneath. Twice as thick lasts twice as long. It should be a 3-day process.  Paint, wait overnight.  Recoat, wait overnight.  Then recoat the high-wear areas (waterline, and the parts that are submerged when you are on plane).  

My hull takes 2.5 gallons for two coats.  Three gallons leaves just enough to recoat the wear areas.  
  • Options
    @LaRea , I’ve always bottom painted my boats with one coat. Would last 2-3 seasons with some touch ups.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I'm just saying:  with one coat, you're sanding and prepping and painting again in two years.  With 2-3 coats, you won't do it until 2025.  Try it and tell me if I'm wrong.   :)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Aero likes to go fast. More paint = more weight = slower. 

If you're not first, you’re last!
  • Options
    jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2021

Hi All, question for you, New proud owner of '10 340... seen this morning that my hatch is leaking over the galley.   According to the picture attached, do you think the water is coming from the outside of the hatch frame or from the higher on deck and running through fiber coring?    I am always getting anxious when water enters lol.  Thanks!

Post edited by jfmtl on
  • Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Yes, you have to pry the lens off. Use something that won’t scratch the plating. I replaced my halogen bulbs with LED. 

As the lens starts to come out make sure you are ready to catch it.  I wasn't and it hit the floor and broke.  Luckily Great Lakes Skipper had replacements.
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    JimGuy341 said:
    aero3113 said:

As the lens starts to come out make sure you are ready to catch it.  I wasn't and it hit the floor and broke.  Luckily Great Lakes Skipper had replacements.
    I pulled the fixture out and used a small screwdriver inserted thru to the glass or interior bezel.  Pushed it out gently.  Replaced with LED pressed interior bezel and glass back in and re installed fixture.  Watch the springs. It will smack your fingers hard like a mouse trap.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    My AC was blowing warm air the other day. I had the unit charged (he said it was empty) and it’s holding a charge but I don’t know for how long. I’ll probably be replacing my AC unit soon. Anyone recommend a direct replacement? I remember reading that there are units with composite pans to eliminate corrosion.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The price of replacements is crazy. The unit in my 330 was badly corroded from salt air but I was able to salvage it. If not, I was going to do a 16k btu from here:

https://www.marinaire.com/Products-s/12.htm
  • Options
    Thanks @YYZRC , I guess the pricing isn’t too bad since labor will be me.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My Four Winns had a leaky AC and it would last me the whole season before needing a recharge at the start of the next season. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @YYZRC , it would be nice if I can get the rest of the season. I’ll probably end up buying a unit then replace during the off season if it does.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I will dig out where and who I dealt with when I replaced mine for you.  Company was out of Texas and I think I got it wholesale.  Plastic pan higher efficiency pretty easy swap out.
  • Options
    I replaced the AC unit in my 330 with a DTU 16 summer of 2019.  Purchased from Citimarine out of Florida.  citimarinestore.com.  Jesus Pelegrino was my contact person.  
    I paid $2420.00.  I had to modify something on the boat to adapt to the fan size output? Dont exactly recall but it was not a big deal.  I think the rinker has a black plate stepping down from the ac output to a plenum going out?  had to do a minor mod on that i think.  put it all together and sealed it with metal hvac tape.  total job took about 2 hours.  flipped the switch and worked like a charm.  NO MORE RUSTY PAN OR CLOGGED DRAIN.
  • Options
    Did the $2420 include a new pump?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hey @aero3113 do you by chance have a pic of your helm from straight on?  I'm looking for the center line of the gauge panel relative to the steering wheel.  I believe the tach should be at the center line but want to confirm.

Thanks!
  • Options
    My tach might be slightly over to port, hard to tell.

2008 330EC