Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Now that's the sort of thing I was hoping for in starting this thread!  Nice rig @212rowboat!

Technical question.  Anybody got a recommendation for a good thermometer setup?  Minimum three taps - hot side, warm side and one or more for the meat.  Wifi or Bluetooth.  I need one, and it's a big market.  Would love to hear from experienced users.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're a dime a dozen it seems on amazon... most of them are based on bluebird provided tech, and the probes on all of them should be considered consumable... they'll last a dozen or so times before breaking.  

I prefer the wifi as it has longer range and I'm not completely tied to the pit while smoking.  Can do other things around the property and just glance at temp when need to.  I also use IR guns a lot, and have a couple folding probes that were cheap but are the most accurate I own.  Nearing 'ballpark' I'll use the folding probe.  I'll only use it max of twice, though, as its a good way to lose juice (theoretically?)... 
  • Options
    I'd prefer wifi.  Sometimes I'm using the phone's bluetooth to play music.  But if I had to play music from another source, well, first-world problems.  And you're right, there are dozens of products out there.  
  • Options
    I got myself a decent multi-probe thermometer (GrillEye Pro) and calibrated my grill this week.  Turns out I was way off.  The setting I thought was "low heat" wasn't 225 ... it was more like 350. 

So tonight I cooked two thick steaks using a proper reverse sear.  It took about 25 minutes at 225-250, then I seared them.  Ommm, nom, nom, nom.  

One thing I still didn't get right was the dry brine.  I applied salt/pepper about 15 minutes before cooking, but Meathead says go an hour or more.  Next time!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting better at reverse sear. Some top sirloin, a little thin but ok. 40 minutes on the Traeger at 225 then finished at 600 for 2 minutes on the Broil King. Should have been about a minute less. Good but closer to medium than medium rare. Did the corn on the Traeger at the same time and button mushrooms with peppers and onions in Italian spice on the Broil King while heating up.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound , my mouth is watering!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sorry guys. It's gone except for one ear of corn. Going to use that in a salad tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Oh that looks good!  

This week I ordered a bunch of replacement parts for my Weber Summit.  They wouldn't let me pay for most of them ... warranty.  Keep in mind, I bought this grill in 2012.  So after eight years, the mid-life refresh is costing me $110.  Good investment.  
  • Options
    First trip out today! My wife made some Omaha hotdogs on the stove top! (I don’t have my grill set up yet).

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Gotta ask. Never heard of an "Omaha" dog? Is that a method or a brand?
  • Options
    Hot dogs from Omaha Steaks?
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Gotta ask. Never heard of an "Omaha" dog? Is that a method or a brand?
    And there's ketchup on it! That's sacrilege in Chicago unless under the age of 10!  :D
  • Options
    Not a great pic but a fantastic recipe. Served with cauliflower and roasted potatoes. Mumbai Chicken done on Traeger grill.
    1-1/2 cups plain yogurt1/4 cup lemon juice2 tablespoons chili powder2 tablespoons paprika2 tablespoons olive oil1-1/2 teaspoons salt1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 tablespoon yellow curry powder3 lbs chicken thighs Marinate 24 hours
  • Options
    Beef Tenderloin with Garlic Feta Shrimp, Caeser Salad and Lobster Claw. My daughter likes lobster but only the tail. We got the claws. Not shown are the brown and white button mushrooms fried in butter and garlic in a cast iron pan on the side burner of the Broil King . I did some yard work and some on the boat and some beers in the back yard so by the time I thought about dinner it was too late for a reverse sear which takes about an hour. So I cranked the grill to about 700F and did them hot and fast. Turned out perfect. A bottle of chilled Pinot Grigio on the side. Yes, white, not red, but with the medum rare beef and seafood I like it better. No wonder I'm fat and happy most of the time.

• Options
    My Weber Summit has treated me right for seven years, so I returned the favor with a little mid-life tech refresh.  New burners and flavorizer bars, wiring harness, thermometer.  All under warranty except the flavorizer bars, $100.  

Bring the summer.

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Not a great pic but a fantastic recipe. Served with cauliflower and roasted potatoes. Mumbai Chicken done on Traeger grill.
    1-1/2 cups plain yogurt1/4 cup lemon juice2 tablespoons chili powder2 tablespoons paprika2 tablespoons olive oil1-1/2 teaspoons salt1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 tablespoon yellow curry powder3 lbs chicken thighs Marinate 24 hours
    Hey @Willhound , tried your recipe tonight on my weber. What a nice change of flavour on the grill. I bought thighs, deboned them and cooked them up. Nothing left on the platter so that says it all . I will definitely make it again.  I used one of those roll up synthetic copper grilling mats on top of the grates to keep all that nice marinade together. I left out the cardamon since so little was needed and was$9.00. Still drawing CERB so have to watch my nickels.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I did a 12 lb pork butt the day before yesterday. Did some injections and a mixture of rubs. Took it off after about an hour into the stall, added more rub, honey, and a little brown sugar, wrapped in butcher paper and back on. Took a total of almost 19 hours. The bone fell right out and man oh man it was amazing. 

Well, the pictures didn’t load in order  oh well  
  • Options
    Thanks! Glad you liked it! My daughters recipe. 
  • Options
    @69fastback that looks delish!  What did you use for the injection?
  • Options
    I use this. It has great flavor and is always a hit. That pork was awesome. 

• Options
    Order placed!  Can't wait to try it.  What did you use for an injector?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    LaRea said:
    Order placed!  Can't wait to try it.  What did you use for an injector?
    It comes with an injector that will likely work fine, but I used one I bought from Lowe’s. You will love that stuff. It really puts in some great flavor. My wife doesn’t like bar b q and still loves the pulled pork we fix. 

Tonight it’s Texoma Striper filets. 
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Looks great! Enjoy!  What style grill is that?
  • Options
    Looks great! Enjoy!  What style grill is that?
    Okay, so I’ve smoked with sticks for years and have been pretty successful, but a few weeks ago I broke down and because lazy. I bought a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 pellet grill/smoker. So far, the meat coming off has been super moist and tender, but I haven’t been able to achieve anywhere the smoke flavor that I could with sticks. I’m experimenting with different pellets and techniques, hoping to get more flavor. I’m not ready to give up yet, but I haven’t really been that satisfied yet. 

• Options
    That fish was amazing. Now it’s homemade ice cream time. 
  • Options
    Okay, so this Saturday, what time should we all show up.
  • Options
    I’ll put a brisket on in the morning. Drinks start early 😃
  • Options
    I just spoke to my boss, he’s going to host a Rinker forum flight to Gunter, TX. @69fastback, you ready??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I just spoke to my boss, he’s going to host a Rinker forum flight to Gunter, TX. @69fastback, you ready??
    Let’s do it!  Can I get 3 take off and landing while you’re here?  I lost currency last week.