Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better than grilled veggies. Wrap up in tinfoil with olive oil and spices or straight on the Barbie mate!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the start. Saute the celery, onions and carrots for a bit of colour and flavour. Add in Montreal steak spice, the ham broth and bones with some meat and the peas with a couple of bay leaves. Plan is to leave it covered for an hour at 350 to get it going and then remove the lid and set to smoke for the rest of the day. Will report back later. Out to the garage to straighten out the stuff from my now sold boat....Maybe I need to join a cooking forum.🙄

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made some chili like that turned out great. Yours's will to. Early spring, I purchased a Smoke chief as an addition to my pellet pooper. It requires a little attendance but after 20 or so cooks I'm liking it. There may be a better brand I don't know about. Check it out.
    I also used it to cold smoke cheese. when the weather is cooler. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0a0UMF_hE
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using my temp probe on my halibut. Nice to see the temp on my app and not have to check the grill all the time. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Admiral noticed me reading this thread last night and she said “honey, we should find a second hand smoker”. 

I burst out laughing and it took her two minutes to catch up. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Don't worry, it will find you!   :D
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Yesterday we caught 4 dozen crabs (steamed in the turkey fryer) and 4 large Rockfish.  Had enough fish to fill the grill up 3 times.  They cooked up really nice with my "seasoned" grill  We had a great feast at the marina!  Nothing better than catching in the morning and eating it at lunch!  Topped it all off with some shrimp and corn on the cob!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Saturday nite Steak nite, Rib - eye. I shoot for 145 internal temp, little over this time. Zucchini and red onions, Sweet potato, Red wine.  

Boat Name : 

• Options
    I don't even eat beef but that looks delicious. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura interesting, I've been studying a better diet. How long have you been a vegan. ? I've always been a big meat eater.  But now trying to eat better. Reading a book, How not to die. Handy recommended. Simple truth is the better you eat the better your health. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 that's beautiful work.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Geez just cause I don't eat beef doesn't make me a vegan . We were vegetarian for about 6 years but when we moved back to Washington we eat seafood since it's so fresh and all around us. We don't have anything against people who eat meat just a choice we made. Mostly just try and make sure we have a balanced pile of food on our plates and just try and think about what we're eating and what our bodies need. Good to just eat good whole food and have balanced portions no matter what you're eating. 

That's why that steak looks so good to me, it has a balance of meat and veggies 👍💪

We don't really agree with the vegan diet and the you have vegetarians that just eat junk like pizza, pasta, veggie burgers. 

I also don't really like eating animals I'm not willing to kill myself. If I'm not willing to do it myself than it isn't fair to eat it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Learning curve for me, the difference between vegan and vegetarian. Been experimenting with some meals with out meat, oat meal has been added to breakfast. 

Heart disease is the #1 killer and have learned Heart disease is reversible. Like you said a balance diet is so important. Fruits and vegie's, nuts, fiber foods. 

We never have eaten processed foods but they are the worst. Our American diet has suffered in nutrition. Fast foods, a way of live, I've been guilty of going through Burger King and loading up, double whopper and fries, big coke. Eat on the run. All that has changed for me now. I'm only a few months into this study and change. 

Beans, and I'll get off my soap box. Are great for you. The average person passes gas 14 times a day. In the Guinness book of world records involved a man who experienced 70 passages in one 4 hour period. consuming dairy, cut the cheese, yes dairy is not so good for u either. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yes beans are a big part of our diet,all sorts of them. We do have dairy but very limited such as some cheese over a vegetable scramble. Gave up milk a long time ago even before the vegetarian thing, I just think it's gross. 

Easier to adjust your diet rather than completely change it. 

Hope you stick with it!!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura if the only way I could eat steak and bacon was to kill the cows and pigs myself in hand-to-hand combat, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  But I'm willing to subcontract that work.  
  • Options
    I'm more than willing to take down some fish, clams and a vegetable garden doesn't stand a chance against me I'm ruthless 😃
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura My hat is off to you for eating heathy.  You'll be better off at the end, your quality of life will be better than most.

Making baby step's I still have a nice size freezer full of meat, probley 40 lbs of hamburger, 3-4 pork loins, 10 rib-eye's, 40 pork chops, a prime brisket, 3 slabs of ribs a big beef roast, 10 lbs chicken, bacon, sausage   ect. and my supply is low....  LOL

6 months ago stopped eating potato's, I use to say potato's are your friend. Not any more. only once a month, cut back on coke's from 12 a week to one or two, told the wife last week do not buy any more milk or soft drinks. It's an effort to change. We are learning and trying new recipes. 

Watched a TV show on Netflix, couple months ago is kind of what woke me up called Game Changers. Then talking with others, about food choice. And now reading this book handy recommended. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Very easy to drink your daily calories and not even think about it. I think a few cokes is well over 600 calories. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Although it's Canadian Thanksgiving we already had our Turkey dinner yesterday since our daughter worked today. So today it's Traeger 3-2-1 ribs with 3 bean salad, Mac'n'Cheese and baked beans. All home made except the canned beans. The Mac'n'Cheese had a Panko crust with Pancetta topping. Ribs were dry rubbed and sat for 24 hours with brown sugar, dry mustard, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, onion powder, dried garlic, ground pepper and a touch of Chinese 5 spice. Can't beat the Traeger, or as @randy56 calls it the "pellet pooper". That's what we call it now. I always pull the membrane from the underside of the ribs. But these came from Costco and they had already done it.

• Options
    Nice, I really like the looks of that 3 bean salad. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Chris came up with a dressing made with herbs, oil, vinegar with a touch of lemon juice and Dijon. Very yummy and should keep in the fridge for several days.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Looks great. It’s even a bonus that the silver skin was already pulled. 
  • Options
    Reverse seared Striploin steaks with Greek salad and garlic feta shrimp. A little more done than I like my steak, I think my thermometer is off. Still tender and good. 50 mins on the Traeger at 225 then about 4 mins at 450 on the gas grill. A dollop of butter on top. 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys recommend for an entry level smoker? I’m in a very urban area and have a small patio. Just need something to do a brisket. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I'm a Traeger fan but there are other similar pellet grills out there. You can basically set it and walk away, just checking the pellet hopper from time to time. Way easier than messing with chips or raw wood. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I like traeger as well however there is another company in Canada that is run by the founder of traeger that is supposed to be good as well. I think it's pit boss. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pork Chops cooked to 145 IT

Boat Name : 

• Options
    @YYZRC this is why you would love a Traeger or equivalent. Put this Pork Loin bone in roast on today at about 1 p.m. Set on smoke for about 5 hours. I even hit the local pub for a few hours after I made sure the pellet hopper was full. 5 min prep with just a simple Montreal Steak Spice as a rub. I did pull off the rib membrane snd trimmed the loose pieces of fat. After  it hit 135F on smoke I cranked it to 375F unti it hit 161 F.
     I pulled it and wrapped it until potatoes were finished. Now, I like my pork a touch medium but the Admiral won't hear of it. So medium well it is. Possibly the best pork I've ever had.

• Options
    Nice, I'm doin sliders  for grand kids tommrow. pellet grill's  give you hassel free smokeing with out the maintance of wood or charcoal. Gas has no flavor at all compared to pellet poopers.  
    Oh and good smoke ring. look at it must be 3/8 inch. 
    Boat Name :