Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Hmmm. I was considering pulled pork pizza for the leftovers but tacos sound good too! Darn things not even done yet and I'm already planning the leftovers.😆

Tacos all the way. Last one I did, I put the leftovers on the pizza, and it was okay ... change from salami/pepperoni, but the pulled pork dries up a bit on the pizza, so I don't think you have that pow-wow taste anymore ... HOWEVER, on the TACOS ... stays really moist and tasty. YUM YUM! Was 100% perfect.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Pork shoulder for Pulled Pork just went on the Traeger. Rub is a combination of brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, onion salt, grated garlic and some Chinese 5-Spice. I like the little kick that gives, I think it's the fennel in it.
    On for 4 - 5 hours, wrap in foil with some apple cider, back on for another 3-4 hours and then pull and let sit for about 45 minutes. 

I want to try something like this on my Weber gas grill.  How would you convert the cooking times and would it be indirect heat using the 2 outside burners?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to go indirect for sure. Would be hard to convert the times. Would need to go by temps. But there are other recipes out there for gas grills. For smoke flavour you could put wood  chips in a fool packet and punch some holes in it. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works on a gasser, It's been so long ago I had forgot how I did it. here is a link. there are many other site's. 

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/barbecued_pork_shoulder_on_a_gas_grill/
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks Guys, really like pulled pork so going to give it a try.
  • Options
    @randy56 Exactly what I am looking for, thank you. Going to do the wrap in foil at the end and add the apple cider as per @Willhound . Going to start with the 4 pounder as suggested.
  • Options
    @MarkB when I got home from work around 7:30 last night the better half had already made the decision for me. And it was delicious. Still have enough left for tacos however. 
    @halifax212 that recipe @randy56 shared looks good. He's forgotten more about grilling than I'll ever know. One tip I will share though is that temperature is key. I never trust the temp dial on the lid. Never accurate and too slow to register changes. I have a couple of digital remote thermometers, with the probe/cable and little screen outside the grill. One goes in the meat of course but for the other, take a medium size potatoe and cut it in half. Run the probe through the potatoe side to side so that a couple of inches of the probe tip sticks out the other side. Put the potatoe flat side down on the grill very near the meat. Voila, you now have an accurate grill temperature right where the magic is happening. And a well roasted half a potatoe!
  • Options
    Yeah I also monitor grill temperature ... the temperature is often different from the dome where the grill thermometer is ... I've seen a good 50F difference.

Willhound ... I have to say ... that pulled pork pizza looks REALLY good. Doesn't seem the pork dried at all.

Let me know if tacos win (I'll take bets).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Willhound said:
    Pork shoulder for Pulled Pork just went on the Traeger. Rub is a combination of brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, onion salt, grated garlic and some Chinese 5-Spice. I like the little kick that gives, I think it's the fennel in it.
    On for 4 - 5 hours, wrap in foil with some apple cider, back on for another 3-4 hours and then pull and let sit for about 45 minutes. 

I want to try something like this on my Weber gas grill.  How would you convert the cooking times and would it be indirect heat using the 2 outside burners?
    I also have a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 grill.  I've done some good smokes on it. Here's some suggestions.

- gas grills ALWAYS run dryer than charcoal smokers, and so it is important to put in an aluminum pan fill with water (at least 1L or quart, and you'll likely need to top it up).
    - you will turn on the burners that are furthest from the meat ... so pick one end for the meat and another will be one burner on ... at most two, but see if you can get away with one.
    - put the water pan OVER the hot running burner ... this makes it even more indirect.
    - does your grill have a built in smoker box?  If not you'll need to buy one ... load some wet wood chips (soak for at least 2h) and be prepared to change it out every 30 minutes ... they don't last long. Here's the thing ... every time you open that grill, it messes up the cook temperature ... so, you need a solution to get those chips replaced ASAP.  I'd honestly go with two boxes (if you don't have a built in like the Pro 665, look it up). One box inside the grill, another get ready to load with new chips, and then do a quick swap with thermal gloves on. You may have to leave one of the grill pieces off to gain quick access to the smoke box, as they normally sit right on top of a burner.  You'll figure that part out.
    - once you finish smoking and wrap your meat, you can take out the water pan as well as the smoker box ... no longer needed.
    - you'll need to accurately measure the ambient temperature ... a good temperature is 225 to 275F.  Try and keep her at 225 to 250F tighter range leads to a better cook, and this is for the whole time ... while you smoke and when wrapped (wrapping is the tenderizing part of the process to the finish temperature). Good thing about a gas grill is it is MUCH easier to control temperature.
    - measuring internal temperature is critical ... it will tell you when it's time to wrap (for pork or brisket, normally around 160F. It will also tell you when to take your meat off, and again pork or brisket around 200F.
    - cooling is VERY important.  Once you hit the finish temperature, take the meat with foil on and wrap it in a thick towel (that you don't mind smelling like meat, lol). Lay the meat flat inside a cooler box (without ice) ... it just acts as a great insulator, so it cools down VERY slowly. Let it cool for approx. 2h before serving ... 3h even better, but 2h is good.

Enjoy.  By the way, there are lots of YouTube videos on how to use a gas grill to smoke ... many people are enjoying this method! 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Pork butt is really a forgiving one to start with. Just cook it low and slow and get that internal temp up to 205°-207° and it’ll be nice and tender. 
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    Willhound ... I have to say ... that pulled pork pizza looks REALLY good. Doesn't seem the pork dried at all.

Let me know if tacos win (I'll take bets).
    I'll give away the secret. That's not pizza crust. It's pre baked Naan bread. Stick it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp slightly. In the meantime we saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers. Throw the pork in for half a minute to stir it all in. BBQ sauce on the bread, meat, veggies and cheese on top.  Broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Throw some spinach on top for colour if you like and back under the broiler for 45 seconds. Start to end wasn't 10 minutes and the pork doesn't dry out.
    Will let you know on the tacos!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound is that a veggie pizza?
  • Options
    Good advice @MarkB, about 5 years ago I got away from gasser's and gave mine away. I do remember putting chunks of hickory on the outside edge, under the grate,  just over the flame covered 50% in foil to create smoke. without the fire. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @Willhound is that a veggie pizza?
    Sorry Handy. Would be but it's got leftover pulled pork on it. Without that though, yes you could do it as a veggie pizza if you wanted.
  • Options
    @MarkB , Thanks a lot for the advise. I already inquired on the cut of meat at Sobeys. I'm heading to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some supplies.  Can't wait to try this! 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I can finally join this thread. I haven't looked at this at all since we rarely grill however we just bought a Traeger. We were vegetarian till we moved back to Washington now we eat seafood again. Don't look to closely at the house in the background 😕 it's our 100 year old fixer upper. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
     I don't know why I had the manual out when I took the picture. 😆 Oh actually I zoomed into the photo, I was looking at how to season and about the digital panel wifi setup. I have failed men all over by leaving such evidence of us looking at the directions. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I have this smoky picture as well. Some steelhead I caught on the Cowlitz River a few miles from home. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn Do not know the brand, but I use them. Very handy. Mine has 4 it's great for 4 butts at a time. got to be a joke in there somewhere.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I have something similar made by Napoleon.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Smoking a roast today. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Looks delish! 

I'm doing Lomo al Tropo this weekend.  Wrap the meat in a towel with a half-inch layer of salt all the way around, then throw it onto a bed of coals.  The salt hardens into a crust and the cloth burns away.  I've had it once before and it was incredible.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It’s wrapped up for the big finish. 

• Options
    Nice bark,  what internal temp when you pulled it? I've done a few chuckie's they make great chili. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    That picture was only 165. I wrapped it and put it back in. It’s resting now. Pulled it at about 200. 
  • Options
  • Options
    sweet, nice ring,  I did a prime brisket last week end, pulled it a little over 200, maybe 205. Funny how fast it disappears. The rest is so important. Even steak, I let it rest 8-10 minutes.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks amazing!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Awesome! Trying a new recipe today. Not exactly grilling though. Had baked ham the other day and using the broth, bone and remnants for a split pea and ham soup in my 100 + year old cast iron dutch oven on the Traeger on a smoke setting for several hours and then simmer for the rest of the day. Curious to see what kind of smoke flavour is infused into the soup. Cold, rainy day here today (46F) so seems like a good day for it.