Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for completely lazy grilling get the traeger with WiFi. Who wants to walk outside to check temperatures. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound - Beautiful smoke ring!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    And for completely lazy grilling get the traeger with WiFi. Who wants to walk outside to check temperatures. 
    Yep. If in your budget. Mine is old school but a $20 Bluetooth thermometer allows me to sit in my lazyboy and watch temp. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound Looks delicious! 

Thoughts on the Tailgater 20?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @Willhound Looks delicious! 

Thoughts on the Tailgater 20?
    The Tailgater 20 is essentially identical to my Junior 020. All they did was make the legs foldable for transport. Otherwise identical. We find it plenty big enough for us. I found a rack that u use when doing ribs so I can double stack if we're having company. Anybody I've talked to with the bigger units tell me that 90% of the time they don't need all the space and just burn more pellets keeping it at temp.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished spatchcocking the turkey. Now on to dry brine for 24+ hours before cooking.

Discovered spatchcocking about three years ago and will never cook a turkey any other way. A 16 pounder is done in two hours or less. Leaves plenty of time - and oven space available to heat side dishes while the turkey rests.

• Options
  • Options
    Which flavor pellets do you usually use?
  • Options
    Alright I pulled the trigger on the Traeger Tailgater!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Costco they have Traeger pellets for a really good deal. I can't remember but I think it's the Traeger specialty blend pellets. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried every type of pellet, as I buy them a skid at a time and split with a buddy. We get many differant types, Cherry, oak, Hickory,  beech, apple, maple. all hard woods. I cannot tell that much differance, between them. Cherry maybe my favorate. Some blend with 3 types of wood, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    That pork I did yesterday was cherry. My go to is usually hickory but I'll mix with the cherry and sometimes apple. The Costco pellets in Canada can be a good deal but hit and miss on supply. Usually none in winter.
  • Options
    @TonyG13 Chickens and turkeys are round, it's hard to cook a ball.  untill you spachcock, good job, much easer to cook that way. helps from dring out white meat, shorter cook time. The dry brine will help with crispe skin, love it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @randy56  I tried the smoked pork shoulder on my Weber gas grill as per the link you sent me a few months back. I was very happy with the results.  Regarding the ss smoke box I bought, I filled it with the soaked apple chips and after about 20 minutes they started to smoke. The smoke finished after about 25 minutes leaving the box with black coals. I ended up emptying most of the coals out and starting the process over again and again. This did not seem the safest way to to this.  I was getting about 25 minutes of smoke per hour at best.  Should I have let more time go by for the coals to burn down (more non smoking time)  before refilling the box?  .  My mindset was when the smoke stopped I should be working to get more smoke asap.  
  • Options
    When the outside of the meat reaches 140 degrees it will not accept much more smoke. 
    I would think in 2 x 25 minutes you would have enough. I go by color, even on ribs, after about 3 hour's on smokeing I wrap in foil. So those ribs, brisket or Pork butt's are not getting any more smoke. I do not like them black with thick creosote. but a amber color. 
    Watch this guy he is my hero, used his method's many time's. I bet your  Pork Butt got consumed, and everyone was happy. good job. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-Njz_Zy-I
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Applewood has a nice fragrance ... but just remember, turkey absorbs smoke big time ... and you can ruin a good meal by over smoking it (and chicken) ... it's not like pork.  Most guys don't actually add much more than just the coals themselves.  It'll have enough of a smoke flavor, just from that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Pork back ribs from a discount grocery store. Still turned out good (a bit dry) - I have lots to learn!

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    Pork back ribs from a discount grocery store. Still turned out good (a bit dry) - I have lots to learn!

Hey, I have lots to share ... I have a big green egg, and a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 ... I love all kinds of cooks.

For ribs, this is what I do:

1) season with a nice rub the night before the cook.
    2) cook indirect at 250F to 275F for 3h, and replenish your wood to get good smoke penetration, obviously avoid opening the lid because that messes up the cook (I like apple wood). Temperature is critical, don't let it climb much beyond 275F.
    3) take the ribs out and put onto of a large foil piece (see next about how big it needs to be.  Add bbq sauce, apple juice (just sprinkle a bit all over), ample seasoning (a nice mix like Weber or Keg seasoning ... even Montreal Seasoning if you want a bit of a bite).
    4) wrap in foil. Make sure the wrap is tight and sealed (seem the ends that go around the ribs, I actually double fold them to make sure it is tight ... so you'll need enough to go around and overlap by at least 2", which is why I only use really wide foil). On the ends, you should have at least 8 inch excess foil, and fold these over multiple times to seal tight.
    5) cook in foil for another 1 hour to 1.5 hours.  First time ... just go with 1h ... sometimes 1.5h the meat is so tender it is hard to handle and everything falls apart.
    6) take off and with foil wrapped, let them cool for at least 15 minutes, prefer 20 to 30 minutes. This is important.  If you don't do this, the ribs will fall apart and make a mess. Cooling tightens the meat and it allows it to be tender, but at least hold together.
    7) last step is to do a quick sear.  This step is optional, but I think it provides a nice taste to crisp and caramelize the rib sauce.  I raise the grill temperature to 500F, then add some more bbq sauce and glaze it top and bottom, then cook direct each side for like 1 minute (be careful, you can total dry them out at this stage). Remember, the ribs are cooked, and every minute you spend crisping them up is also drying them out!  So you just want enough to get a bit of grill marks and see that sauce bubbling.  Big flames are a killer here to, so you need to watch this closely.

The whole process takes about 5 hours.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @YYZRC what @MarkB has outlined is essentially the same as this go-to recipe that has never failed me. https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/3-2-1-baby-back-ribs
    The Traeger site has a great resource section with all kinds of recipes. The pork roast recipe I followed the other night came from there.
  • Options
    @LaRea @MarkB  Keep them coming. I'm ready to try ribs next.  Seriously thinking about investing in one of these smokers! 
  • Options
    @randy56  that was meant for you to keep them coming
  • Options
    MarkB said:

Hey, I have lots to share ... I have a big green egg, and a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 ... I love all kinds of cooks.

2) cook indirect at 250F to 275F for 3h, and replenish your wood to get good smoke penetration, obviously avoid opening the lid because that messes up the cook (I like apple wood). Temperature is critical, don't let it climb much beyond 275F.
    3) take the ribs out and put onto of a large foil piece (see next about how big it needs to be.  Add bbq sauce, apple juice (just sprinkle a bit all over), ample seasoning (a nice mix like Weber or Keg seasoning ... even Montreal Seasoning if you want a bit of a bite).
    4) wrap in foil. Make sure the wrap is tight and sealed (seem the ends that go around the ribs, I actually double fold them to make sure it is tight ... so you'll need enough to go around and overlap by at least 2", which is why I only use really wide foil). On the ends, you should have at least 8 inch excess foil, and fold these over multiple times to seal tight.
    5) cook in foil for another 1 hour to 1.5 hours.  First time ... just go with 1h ... sometimes 1.5h the meat is so tender it is hard to handle and everything falls apart.
    6) take off and with foil wrapped, let them cool for at least 15 minutes, prefer 20 to 30 minutes. This is important.  If you don't do this, the ribs will fall apart and make a mess. Cooling tightens the meat and it allows it to be tender, but at least hold together.
    7) last step is to do a quick sear.  This step is optional, but I think it provides a nice taste to crisp and caramelize the rib sauce.  I raise the grill temperature to 500F, then add some more bbq sauce and glaze it top and bottom, then cook direct each side for like 1 minute (be careful, you can total dry them out at this stage). Remember, the ribs are cooked, and every minute you spend crisping them up is also drying them out!  So you just want enough to get a bit of grill marks and see that sauce bubbling.  Big flames are a killer here to, so you need to watch this closely.

This is awesome!  Can you lob over a brisket recipe?  That's this weekend's plan.
  • Options
    I inject all big meats, Chicken, brisket,Butts, Turkey, loin, ect. Differant injections for differant meats. Turkey for example I use cajun. I've been deep frying Turkey's for about 20 years before that it was smoked.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    I'll share some of the brands of injections I use. I'm not trying to permote any one company. Just what I'm currently useing.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Brisket, as with any other meats buy good quality. I buy mine at Sams. They have prime for less money per lb that choice. Trimming the brisket - you will lose about 30 percent getting all the excess fat off. so try and get one at least 15-16 lbs.  Cooked one about 2 weeks ago but did not take any pictures. Rarely do. You should find u-tube on how to trim a brisket. 
    Links below on how to cook a brisket. I run fairly close to these.  the last link is the most detailed. 

https://www.recteq.com/texas-style-brisket

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef-brisket

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks @randy56 - I will report back with results soon!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    MarkB said:

This is awesome!  Can you lob over a brisket recipe?  That's this weekend's plan.
    Yeah, brisket is simple but hard ... lol.

The issue with brisket is timing ... it's a 11 to 15 hour cook. So if you want to be eating it for dinner ... what time do you start?  Recently, I've started at midnight, cooked overnight and had it ready for a late lunch.

There's a great video ... lots of stuff you can skip, but it has some good info on it. Review this:

https://youtu.be/azwKFQKAqxs

Here's my suggestions:

1) prepare your brisket as per that video. It's CRUCIAL.  Trim fat off the tip (thick part) and leave ample fat on the flat (thinner part).  The fat shields the thinner flat from overcooking and drying out, while you wait for the tip to reach temperature.

2) Season .... there's lots of options, most guys just use a salt/pepper mix, I use KEG seasoning or Montreal Steak Spice.  Season WELL ... like covered, don't skimp.  Season at least 24h before the cook and let it sit in the fridge.

3) get your fire to 225F ... this cook really needs you to zero in here ... no more than 250F. This refers to dome or ambient temperature (on your cooking oven gauge). Cook indirect.

4) Put on meat and insert probe into thickest part of meat, and cook with fat side down.

5) As you cook ... you'll get used to how fast the temperature is rising, and then all of a sudden it slows down ... that's the stall. Basically the meat starts to sweat and moisture evaporates ... and it takes much longer to raise the temperature.  This can happen anywhere between 140F and 165F.  DON'T MISS THIS.  When you see temperature has slowed for about 30 minutes, take the meat off and wrap it in WIDE aluminum foil (double wrap, make sure it is sealed well by double folding all seems, and press it tight against meat without ripping the aluminum foil).

6) Put meat back on wrapped, and insert the probe again (just poke through the foil where it is thickly wrapped foil and then try and seal the probe with the excess foil). Bring the meat to 195F ... now, there's two approaches ... the simpler approach is: 
         - To take it off right there, and wrap it in a few old towels and into a cooler for 2h.  This at first allows the meat to keep cooking to around 200F to 205F, and thereafter SLOWLY reduces the temperature and retains moisture. 
         -The other method is to keep it on and start probing the meat with a chop stick ... and when it pushes in the meat like it's butter ... take it off, unwrap it to cool it quick and stop the cooking (unwrap for around 15 minutes). Then you re-wrap with foil and wrap with old towels and into the cooler for 2h.

7) Unwrap and eat. Slice about 1/4" thick, cross grain.  Good to eat in as a sandwich in fresh rolls topped with some bbq sauce or coleslaw. Can eat it straight as is too.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Not a "grill" meal, but cooked on the grill. @YYZRC you'll find your Traeger is a very versatile unit. Everything from great ribs and brisket to breads and desserts.
    I had trouble recently maintaining a consistent temperature and knew it wasn't the weather since I built a nifty little "Traeger Shack" that keeps the wind off and the unit protected. Also burns way less pellets as I use it all year long. I suspected it was the RTD temp probe at fault so changed it out yesterday. Sure enough the wire was in bad shape. Unit held perfect temps all day as I was standing in the snow.  Veal stew meat was on sale this week, so browned on the gas grill and cooked in the Traeger. The cast iron dutch oven was my Great Grandmothers and is over 100 years old. Essentially followed this recipe, https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/old-fashioned-beef-stew but added turnip that went in an hour before the potatoes and carrots. Also let the browned meat and some juices sit on Smoke setting for half an hour with the lid off for some extra smoke flavour. Turned out great, as pretty much anything we do on the Traeger does.

• Options
    The best pork tenderloin I've ever eat or cooked. Nice day 40 degrees, sun, a good day to cook. Sous vide 2  pork tenderloin's for 3.5 hours at 140 degrees. then put them in an ice bath 50% water50% ice for 30 minuites. Fire up grill, pellet smoker or charcoal grill set  at 300 degrees.. If useing gas or charcoal. just use half the grill for no direct heat. If useing gas or charcoal, add some cherry chunks, or what you have, just before you put them on the grate. To place tenderloin opposite from heat, if useing gas or charcoal. Remove tenderloins from bag, pat dry, use your favorate BBQ rub. I like smoked chipotle because it give you a little heat, but not hot, and a sweet rub. Cook on smoker/grill untill the internal temp is about 125. No more. It's allready cooked. They were 80 degrees IT when I put them on. I used BBQ sause thinned with 50% apple juice for the glaze. Cook time is about 45 minutes to and hour. I glazed the BBQ sauce after 30 minuntes. So that give's you 30 minuite's to set the glaze. you can use pork loin also. Slightly pink inside very juicy.
    If you have a picky wifie, on done ness you may SV to 145. White meat, pork chops, tenderloin's are easy to dry out because they have NO fat. 
    Oh!  almost forgot, enjoy your favorate adult beverage with your meal. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Man that looks good!