Options

The lets talk about boat noises and I/O pontoons thread :)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did drop the price 2k from his estimate. Guess that was why. I was just happy to be free of a 10+ year old out drive... down here in the keys space is limited and junk just ends up piling up. 
  • Options
    Happy to report the boat went in with no issues today... started it up and there is no noise, infact it's the quietest it's ever been. My landloards mechanic happened to be here fixing another boat at the dock and came for a listen. He says at the moment everything sounds great and as it should. Going to do my best to not raise that drive while it's running!! Moves to the winter marina next weekend with lots of water.. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear. It was making the noise before you put it in the water though?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Good to hear. It was making the noise before you put it in the water though?
    Well that's the questionable part. I had my ear ON the top of the out drive... which is something I never have done before, my neighbor thinks I was just hunting for noises and jumping to conclusions. Maybe that noise is always there, but on the trailer it just sounds much louder. I can tell you that the noise a couple pages back is gone. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just the noises in your head then 😂. Nice you can use it and you don't have to put it away for the winter like most of the other boaters. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yes, now if it could just make it in the water for 6 months without having to come out, that'd be nice too! It was out more than half the summer this year and almost half the winter last year!!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    @J3ff that's great that things are running well.  I think that I am just like you, always listening thinking that something doesn't sound right or looking for that noise that isn't there.  I even had my dock neighbor that has the same boat but with B3s, drive mine and thought it sounded fine.  I'm still listening and looking....

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Also feeling good that I met a decent mechanic who would listen to me and not immediately dismiss what I said. He even climbed down there (he's short so he fits) with a flash light to watch the shaft spin and is a certified merc stern drive tech..etc..at least he says, however everyone on the street uses him. 

Part of the uneasy feeling with this boat down here has been the being brushed off feeling, wondering if things were done right when problems pop up. We do know for 100% sure that even after I asked for the greaseless bearing that was not done and we also know for 100% sure that the motor mount bolts were 1 and 1/4 turns too high. Both of these I asked to be fixed and the guy just ignored that request, probably thinking I'm just a customer "what does he know"... 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Happy to hear it might be ok this time. You've had so many issues with that boat I think you're hearing ghosts sometimes. Whether or not you sell it, I'm sure at some point down the road you'll wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because you had a nightmare and heard that "thunk, thunk, think" in your head...  :D

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Lol. It's def going up for sale next spring. I need something with an outboard that I can manage with a small truck. This just is not the type of boat for the keys.  Going to move it to an ocean side marina for the winter. Spend weekends using it as a small apartment, heading to the reef, sand bar one of the two ocean side small islands and mosquito bank. Very light duty. If the noise comes back. I'll throw it on the market cheap.  You think 10 to 15k would be fair?