Options

Ring Camera Saved The Day

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I just rewatched the vid and noticed that the kid tried to open your companionway door.  You must keep it locked?
    Yes, I lock it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    Too subtle, screw the safety aspect. “These vessels are private property and are 24/7 video and audio monitored. Anyone found trespassing will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd file a complaint. Kid needs to be taught a lesson. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 5 years ago the cameras at my old marina caught 5 teens jumping into boats and stealing alcohol, iPods and more. Fortunately we had a county detective at the marina and they got onto his boat as well. They found the kids and started charging them with theft. Four of the five got scared, gave up the others and didn’t end up facing any charges. The last one tried to be a big shot and wanted to go to court. When a dozen of us from the marina showed up to court, video evidence and all, along with facing 34 counts of breaking and entering, he pleaded guilty. The district attorney considered the boats second homes so he was able to go for a higher charge rather than simple theft. Once word of that got around the town, there were no more issues at the dock. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Yea I agree with Jeff. If the kid shows no remorse nor does the father that was talked to, I’d press charges. You can always drop them if their tune changes. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Yeah, like thrown into the middle of the lake. What a brat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    The trick is the county or municipality that you live in.  Where i am is very liberal and the burden is on you to do all the work.  Police have to be willing to write a report.  You have to fill out an affidavit and get it reviewed at the courthouse and it has to meet the burden of proof a crime was committed and then you need the county to be willing to prosecute.  With all that being said.  I agree that if they aren't scared a little it will just continue to escalate.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    MarkB said:
    J3ff said:
    Yeah, like thrown into the middle of the lake. What a brat.
    That kid will probably be a pain in someone's a$$ for the rest of his life. That attitude never seems to go away. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    That's polite of them to express concern about safety and respect, but boarding a boat without permission is a crime.  In Virginia, it's a Class 1 misdemeanor that can be punished by up to 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine.  

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter5/section18.2-147/
  • Options
    @LaRea boarding the boat itself without permission is not a crime.  You have to also prove intent.  Intent to move, start or vandalize.  That is what is missing here. They were scared offf before they got that far.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the kid intended to take a dump on some rando’s boat. When ya gotta go…
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    By that logic, it would be legal to board a boat and stay for days or weeks -- as long as you don't intend to commit a crime.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I think the kid intended to take a dump on some rando’s boat. When ya gotta go…
    Rando - that doesn't get old.........hilarious.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    It isn't my logic. It's the way the Virginia law is written.
  • Options
    In Maryland you can only get them for trespassing after you've told them they aren't allowed to be there.https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2013/article-gcr/section-6-403/
  • Options
    Just got a report of kids over here at my local northeast place where 3 kids went and "ransacked" boats at 7pm, in the daylight... these kids arent so bright. Clear photos going around now.. I'm telling you, I'd throw the book at that jerk that boarded your boat. 
  • Options
    To me (and obviously I'm no criminal lawyer), there was intent to damage.  You can't enter an enclosed cockpit, sit there vaping, and not expect to make the boat stink.  If it was my boat, the cockpit interior would have to be detailed.  That's damage.  

Another possibility is Second Degree Criminal Trespass (for knowingly and unlawfully entering and remaining upon the motor vehicle of another).

And since a boat with a bed, toilet and stove is considered a home, there's also Unlawful Entry, which doesn't require intent to commit a crime.  I mean, clearly the boat's cockpit is enclosed by a barrier.  It's no different from your living room at home.  

If it was me, I'd press charges.  
  • Options
    Moral: don’t mess with @LaRea
  • Options
    Hah ... well, I wouldn't put his head on a pike.  I'd probably drop the charges so they don't end up on his record.  But I'd make it painful for his parents.  
  • Options
    I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that his parents are not pillars of the community. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that his parents are not pillars of the community. 
    That’s what I’m hearing and I really don’t feel like dealing with that. I would probably end up with bullet holes in my boat. I’m sure the video made its rounds   and if he didn’t see it he knows it’s out there. It will make its way to his parents but when they see it they will probably laugh about it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Have to love that. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Glad you had the door locked!
  • Options
    Exact words from my wife also @J3ff
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like revenge better than justice 😉
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    UPDATE:
    I just received a phone call from my marina neighbor. Someone on Facebook reached out to him and responded to his post. The woman wants to see the video. She said she lives down by the marina, has a daughter that has friends over that also hang out at the beach that’s right next to the marina. She want to see if her daughter is one of them. 
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that's the trick. Take away his lady friends 😂
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Maybe that's the trick. Take away his lady friends 😂
    LoL! That would make for a boring summer for him!! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I will say that watching that video makes me realize how little game I had as a teen (or now for that matter). That schlepper can get girls?!
  • Options
    LoL!!
    Whenever I watch it, I laugh out loud. I love the look on his face when he looks back to figure out who’s talking. I wouldn’t be surprised if he needed that “toilet paper” running up the dock!! 😂😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    UPDATE:
    I just received a phone call from my marina neighbor. Someone on Facebook reached out to him and responded to his post. The woman wants to see the video. She said she lives down by the marina, has a daughter that has friends over that also hang out at the beach that’s right next to the marina. She want to see if her daughter is one of them. 
    Probably interested also to see who is messing with her daughter.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/