Hardin Marine stainless steel replacement for Merc seawater pump

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Engine Discussions
Does anybody here have experience with this Hardin Marine replacement for the Mercruiser seawater pump:

With the OEM pump, once the inside of the pump body gets worn down, you have to replace the entire pump for $700.  The Hardin product uses replaceable SS wear plates at either end of the impeller, so in theory the pump should last the life of the engine.  You keep the existing rear pump housing, and just upgrade the front part.  It uses the same impeller as the OEM pump.

The upgrade is $200 cheaper than replacing the entire pump.  ($500 with pulley at hardin-marine.com or MichiganMotorz.com.)  Plus, it's a darned fine-looking piece of gear.

Comments

• brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice hope you get some feed back
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Scott at Hardin Marine, they started offering this product four years ago, and they have sold "a few thousand" of them.  The wear plates typically last about twice as long as an impeller, so I'm thinking a couple hundred hours.  The rebuild kit (impeller plus wear plates) costs $70, compared to $30 for just the impeller.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
  • OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I think this might be what was used in mine earlier this month however the pulley was the old style. I understood just the rear was a composite material with the replaceable ss plates. See my original post here: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1256/water-pump-malfunction-on-our-3-year-old-rinker-340-with-mercruiser-350-mags#sthash.K2q79ZXD
    Wayne '09 340 EC
    edited August 2013

It sounds similar, but the pump from Hardin is stainless steel, not composite.
    The part has the appearance of a dress part, but the functionality of an upgraded design.  I'm going to upgrade my stbd motor, and then if I like it, do the port side to match.

Post edited by LaRea on
    Just for closure -- I installed the Hardin pumps with billet pulleys on both engines.  The surface finishes and overall build quality are top-notch, and they look really nice.  

The unit comes with an impeller pre-installed.  Installation was no more difficult than with a standard pump.  (It requires gasket sealer on the wear plate, which takes an extra couple minutes.)  Overall, I'm really happy with the product, and Hardin was very responsive to my questions.
    Update on the Hardin water pumps:  

After 2-1/2 seasons and about 150 engine hours, I noticed water dripping from one of the pumps.  Sure enough, the inner bearing seal had failed and allowed water into the bearings.   I thought the pump was doomed, but Hardin sells a "deluxe" rebuild kit that includes bearings, seals and clips for an extra $26.  

All you do is disassemble the pump, remove the bearings and seals, and install new ones.  The rebuild took me about three hours (not including removing/reinstalling the pump), but I'm sure I could do it again in half that time.  

Hardin offered to replace the parts for free.  I declined because I didn't want to wait for shipping and inspection, but it's nice to know they stand behind the product.  Their customer service was great.  

Here's a shot of the two new bearings.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@LaRea all's well that ends well but my question is why the h*ll did they fail at that (young) age. It's nice that Hardin will send new parts - but - will they also pay for someone to R&R their parts that fail if the owner can't do the work, I ask rhetorically?  IMO, far too early a fail...and downright incredible for 150 hours unless you're parking on sand bars for hours LOL.

What are the OEM Mercruisers failing at 5 years and 500 hours? A fail at 150 hours is IMO ridiculous, especially after all their hype - they need some re-engineering.

The wear plates didn't have excessive wear, and the pump has never been run dry, so I'm at a loss to explain the premature fail.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a heck of time when I first purchased our boat- don't have the info handy, I found wear plate kit/ impeller for the merc pump and seems to still be working fine. I think it was like 90 bucks though...
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    That is early but could have been a bad seal. Your twins aren't you? See how long other ones last, maybe its a fluke.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just installed (2) of these sea pumps. We'll see how they do this season. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I don't really mind rebuilding the pump ... it's yet another opportunity to learn the intimate details about a boat component.  But, as @BellevilleMXZ says, I'll keep an eye on the starboard pump.

Plus, they do look really cool.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Good Attitude @LaRea....we can always learn a new skill   .... or as my granddad used to say a s-kill..... is "something that doesn't kill us" LOL He was full of those sayings and some something else too (you fill in that one) as grandma used to say! LOL 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Installed last year has been very good.I would recommend them.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited February 2017
    @LaRea @Black_Diamond@alswagg So, I bought one of these hardin pumps.  My question is, it came with the metal plate and gasket.  Does that gasket go between the plate and the impeller or does it go between the metal plate and the worn out plate (rear portion of old pump)?  Or does it get used at all?  I would think the gasket would get torn up between the pump and metal plate.  I also noticed the impeller that came with the hardin pump is just a bit smaller (heightwise, not diameter) which must be for the adding the thickness of the plate in there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Looks like I found my answer on Hardin's website.  It goes between the plate and the rear housing.  http://www.hardin-marine.com/instructions/625-4102I.pdf

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to Hardin's site, the gasket goes between the plate and the rear inlets on the pump. I need to replace my pump and I am considering this pump. It is $100 more than the OEM pump thru NuWave Marine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Wow -- that document is new, and much more clear than the original that came with mine back in 2013.  

Anybody who ever has to remove a pulley -- definitely buy the OTC-7185 puller and OTC-7209 installer.  The $70 you spend will be sooooooo worth it.  If you try with any other type of puller, you can damage the pulley.  

After 3+ seasons, I am still very happy with these pumps.  Also, the chrome finish adds 5 horsepower per engine.  
    Well, I just changed my pulley last night and it took quite a while.  I used one from the automotive store and it worked.  Just took a lot of muscle (yes, I used long ratches/wrenches - thought about adding a pipe on the end for more leverage).  Do you recommend adding the gasket sealant?

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.marine-496pump.com/ TO REBUILD THE MERC, FINE HAS WORED FINE SINCE!
    Yes, I used the sealant.

I used an automotive puller too.  The problem is that when you pull on the outside of the pulley, the hub deforms and clamps down on the shaft.  That's why it takes so much force.  The OTC-7185 tool clamps onto the hub itself, so it won't deform.  
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It looks like this pulley remover set from harbor freight will work and its cheap.  Interestingly some marine stores sell this same set for double what harbor has it advertised for.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-40749.html
    yeah, I went to buy the one at harbor freight, then I just went with the free rental at advanced auto.  They allow you to buy it and then take it back when you are done.  Hard to beat since it isn't used that often.  & yes, it pulls on the hub itself, not the outside of the pulley.  I have to say though, it was still a real bit$h!  I have some gasket sealant, so maybe I'll just apply it.  I was hoping to get away without it though cause that stuff always make it a pain to get the surfaces clean again before the next gasket.  I'm just wondering if it's worth trying without it.  @alswagg ?  Do you always use the gasket sealant on the seawater pump?

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys have any updates on the Hardin pumps? Have the bearings lasted?
    2008 330EC
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put one on my 270 5 years ago and my dock neighbor sald it was fine when he sold it last year. Just put 2 of them on my 342 last year and there doing great. That said i would buy the on with the pulley or spend an hour labor messing with the puller.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had one for two years and put another on last year. Def order it with the pulley.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    I have had one for two years and put another on last year. Def order it with the pulley.
    Ditto here, but my 1st one's been on a few years now.  The port side I put on last spring, with a pulley.  The new pulley's are nice and definitely the way to go.  Wish I had done that with my first one.  Bringing this topic back up reminds me of how much of a pain it was with that original pulley!

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I broke the harbor freight puller trying to remove the pulley on my pump a few years ago...ended up taking it to an auto shop.  HF sell true garbage
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Somebody needs to figure out a way for owners to pull and replace the pulley on these pumps.  The bearings are lasting only a couple hundred hours at most, and then you have to remove the pulley and rebuild the bearings.  I have yet to find an adequate tool for it. 

@Alswagg what do you use for servicing Hardin pumps? 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Somebody needs to figure out a way for owners to pull and replace the pulley on these pumps.  The bearings are lasting only a couple hundred hours at most, and then you have to remove the pulley and rebuild the bearings.  I have yet to find an adequate tool for it. 

@Alswagg what do you use for servicing Hardin pumps? 
    Now this is where I’m stuck on the decision. Isn’t the OEM pump lasting much longer than this?
    2008 330EC