Options

Meet the new La Rea!

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Around 2 gallons a mile at 24 knots isn’t bad at all.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian said:
    Around 2 gallons a mile at 24 knots isn’t bad at all.
    or US $240/h ... or US $4/min.  Not a cheap hobby! LOL

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Did you use a local surveyor from Florida?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    @oscar1 yes, the hull survey was done by Scott Virgin, and the engine survey by Vinnie Peterson, both from Miami.  They were outstanding. 

Today we made an amazing 350 miles from Port Canaveral all the way to Charleston.  We stopped for fuel in Brunswick GA, which was going to be our final destination.  Because of weather conditions, we decided to just pit for fuel and push on to Charleston.  

Arrival at Charleston was a weather sh*t-show.  I'll post pix and videos tomorrow.  Captain Jim is an absolute rock star.  

We'll have a couple weather days here, then head to Hampton with a different crew.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Thx,  LaRea and Bon Voyage and get home safe
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Sounds like an awesome trip! That’s actually incredibly good fuel economy.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Sounds like quite the shakedown cruise and a great way to get acquainted. 
    Deliveries are always fun when unexpected events arise 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great adventure, sounds like you were headed inshore at the correct time.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad everything is going well for you @LaRea , I’m sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy!!⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The last two legs of the trip were amazing -- total of 475 miles, almost all offshore. 

From Charleston SC to Beaufort NC, it was 9 hours of punishment.  From there to Hampton VA, it was 9 hours of awesome.  Nothing but sunshine, flat calm, light swells and a following breeze.  Ironically, the roughest water of the day was after turned into the Chesapeake Bay, where we took 3-foot chop on the bow for a few miles.  The boat will stay at Hampton for about a month for maintenance and upgrades.  

So far, I've docked the boat twice without mangling anything.  It's easier than docking a sterndrive boat, except for the limited visibility from the bridge.  I will need wireless headsets, good cameras, and lots of practice.

Tonight I'm home, exhausted and happy.  The memories will last forever -- but not the photos and videos, which were lost when I dropped and broke my phone.  
  • Options
    That’s great news @LaRea ! Glad everything went as planned (mostly)! Do you have an iPhone? All of your pictures should be on the cloud?? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    For some reason there was no cloud backup.  Lost everything on the phone.  What a pain in the transom.  

At this point, I have a list of over 100 items that don't work or need to be upgraded.  For example, I need to fix all three tank sensors (fuel, fresh water, holding tank).  But the major cruising necessities all worked great -- engines, nav electronics, air conditioners, and toilets! 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Sounds amazing @LaRea - no doubt you will make docking a science. 

As for the photos and iCloud, I learned that hard lesson when I dropped my iPhone overboard a couple years ago. You need to set your phone to constantly upload photos over cellular - “Unlimited Updates”. Otherwise, your phone waits for a wifi connection to upload. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    Glad you made it safe and sound. Beaufort NC has always been one of my favourite harbours. Cape Hatteras can be nice or nasty, good to see you had a smooth passage.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just iphones that utilize the cloud, a lot of people don't know that.  I use Google photo cloud, and the free version fills up pretty quickly, but I pay $1.99 a month for a huge database of photos. 
    Bummer you lost all those! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I use android as well but same thing in the settings you have to set unlimited over cellular data to upload photos or it waits for wifi. I think most everyone now has unlimited data so it really shouldn't be an issue. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    list of over 100 items that don't work or need to be upgraded, what? all that didn't show up on survey? Or your were aware of the list. Glad you trip was successful.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Most are survey items that I knew about before closing.  The rest are things I discovered during a week of living aboard.  

Some are easy to fix -- such as, I need a label showing the location of the fuel shutoff valve.  And some are preventive maintenance that the yard will tackle.  When I bought the 370, my list was similar but shorter.  Just gotta work through them one at a time.  
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Most are survey items that I knew about before closing.  The rest are things I discovered during a week of living aboard.  

Some are easy to fix -- such as, I need a label showing the location of the fuel shutoff valve.  And some are preventive maintenance that the yard will tackle.  When I bought the 370, my list was similar but shorter.  Just gotta work through them one at a time.  
    Like any other boat purchase its the changes that you make that make the new boat yours.  When you 1st get the boat its a reflection of the previous owner and as time goes on its a reflection of you. 
  • Options
    Well my previous owner was a dumb dumb!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I think a lot of us can say that!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    rasbury said:
    I think a lot of us can say that!
    The best one had to be drilling holes in the dry storage bin at the helm seating- with no where for that water to go except through the ceiling of the mid ship berth, (aka storage) and all over the generator...which the frame is all rusted...
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea Congrats on the new yacht! Just read this thread start to finish and and so happy for you and the admiral. Wow...enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks!  We are on the boat for the weekend.  I'm meeting with the yard manager today to review work scope and cost estimates.  Hoping they will be able to start next week.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to matter how new they are we're still gonna have a to do list of wants and needs 🤑. Looking forward to seeing all of your post on the work you're doing on it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    His list just sounds daunting because it's consenting of items like
    1.  Dust and wax galley fire extinguisher
    2.  Dust and wax flare gun
    3. Wash and wax boat hook
    4.  Wash and wax then fuel filter canisters

I'm pretty sure @LaRea and @aero3113 have an ongoing contest to see just who can get the cleanest boat.  What's polished or waxed that the other guy hasn't thought of???  

@Willhound had a swimming platform you could drop food on and was clean enough to have a 30 min rule.  

I think the surgical prep cleanliness is a rinker ownership requirement....he's just carrying it onto another brand!!

I want to hear more info on those engines, you've gotta have some 2000 to 4000 ft lbs of torque on those things.

What kind of range are you getting?