Options

Meet the new La Rea!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    Haha @PickleRick you crack me up!  

Our longest leg was 240 miles, and we could have gone another 40.  But that was with no working trim tabs, so the bow was riding way too high and we were throwing a huge wake.  The tabs worked during sea trial, but stopped working sometime during the first day.  I bet we'll pick up 2 knots (10%) when we get that sorted out.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your first weekend, not stressed, with your wife. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    240 is a ton of miles.  That's going from Charleston to the gulf stream and back nearly 3 to 4 times.  

Hope you get it all sorted quickly.  I'm sure you're ready to have her 100% for the season.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny @PickleRick !😂⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Great small-world coincidence last night.  
    Back in late March, when we found the listing for this boat, she had been on the market for only three days -- but she was already under contract.  Then the contract was withdrawn, and we moved in.  Well, last night we met a friend of the guy who made the original offer!
    The marina here in Hampton had a little get-together for slip-holders, and we struck up a random conversation with a guy from Connecticut.  I mentioned that our Maritimo came to Miami from Venezuela, and he knew right away that it was the same boat his buddy tried to buy.
    Apparently, the buyer bailed out because he is too tall for the boat.  His loss is our gain!
  • Options
    Too tall! LoL. The guy must be huge! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    He said the guy is 6'5".  Most of the salon is 6'4", and he would have hated it for sure.  I'm 5'6", and so is the Admiral, so it's perfect for us!

Today I topped off the water in eight ginormous 8D batteries.  It took almost six gallons.  They were installed two years ago, and probably never touched since then.  The battery box doubles as bench seating for working on the outboard side of the engine.

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you have pretty decent access to both sides of each engine? Wish I had that!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine bay looks as big as my boat! Awesome!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll be able to say we used to know laRea...
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Enjoy your first weekend, not stressed, with your wife. 
    Till you dock….

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    That's awesome! Congrats!!
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Thought I'd provide an update, as we've been VERY busy the last couple months.

I have a spreadsheet to track the survey findings, odd jobs, and upgrades.
    • 159 items total
    • 9 accepted with no action
    • 57 completed 
    • 93 active

Our mindset is that we are prepping the boat for long-distance cruising.  For every important component, if I don't know its age, I replace it and save the old one as a spare if possible.  I just replaced the fresh water pump, and I ordered a new air conditioner pump (it's $1000, but if it fails, it would make the boat unusable for 2-3 weeks).  

I'm also replacing both of the toilets.  They are nice Tecmar toilets with built-in macerators (not Vacuflush).  However, one of them sometimes doesn't completely flush, and the controllers are starting to fail.  Not taking any chances on them!

I'm also starting to plan the vessel monitoring system.  It's a long list of stuff to monitor:
    • 3 engines
    • 3 tanks
    • 5 battery banks
    • 5 bilge pumps
    • 5 air conditioners

And yes, we have used the boat, and are totally loving it!  
  • Options
    Corral42Corral42 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Congratulations, I will miss your insights on the 370.
  • Options
    Awesome @LaRea , fun stuff!! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I'm late to the game here, but WOW.  I'm so stoked for you!  Can't wait to see the new helm when you're done.
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Thanks @Formulaben ... it will keep me busy all winter for sure.  The irony is that most owners would see this boat and think "turn-key."  I see it and think how much better I can make it.  

Yesterday after work, I was there for two hours replacing a blower for one of the bridge air conditioners.  (It actually has seven air conditioners, not five!)
  • Options
    Another early investment:  we bought a set of "marriage savers" ... Eartec wireless headsets.  They have already earned their price of admission.   

A drawback of the enclosed flybridge is that shouting just won't cut it for communicating with the crew.  With the headsets, there's no shouting.  It's normal conversational tones of voice.  The only time I hear the Admiral cussing is when she wants me to hear it!  

The headset covers one ear, leaving the other open to hear what goes on around you.  The sound quality is great, and they will get loud enough for any situation.  

Part of the master plan is to add a docking station in the cockpit, with throttle controls and a VHF mic.  But even if I do that, we'll still need headsets for weighing anchor, locking, and so forth.  

Never needed it on any boat I've ever had.  Now it's a necessity.  
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Thanks @Formulaben ... it will keep me busy all winter for sure.  The irony is that most owners would see this boat and think "turn-key."  I see it and think how much better I can make it. 
    That's an engineer!  I'm a wannabe engineer...or at least I tend to think like one.  My last boat got a ridiculous amount of upgrades.  I've already done a bunch with the new-to-me FV270 but I'm just getting started.  Pretty sure I'll not meet your standard though! ;)
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The optimum number of crew when it consists of a spouse is 2.   This ensures that the blame for any mishap is always directed in the proper direction. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased the Eartec marriage savers and used them on the weekend. I can only see the foredeck from the flybridge, The side and aft decks are blind, no more shouting at the admiral. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Congratulations,  I am happy you are staying with the Rinker forum.  You always have great postings that teach me something about boating.  It is too bad you lost your phone with all the photos.  
  • Options
    Nice @LaRea ! They look heavy!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah, in warm weather that pump runs 24/7, so it's beefy.  Judging from the salt crust on the bottom of the pump, it was ready to fail.  

Funny moment yesterday.  Went to pump out the almost-full holding tank.  Very friendly kid running the pumpout.  About 10 minutes in, he said "ummmm, how big is your tank?  I've never had a pumpout take this long!"   :D  We left him a really good tip.  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    We're all glad you've stayed on this forum!  There's SO much of boating, that covers all boats, not just Rinkers that you and others share.  You never have to apologize for posting stuff about the "other" brand  :D
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    @LaRea well, make sure you get it nice and full on your way up to Annapolis!  I know a kid that will just love pumping it all out for you! :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, you do, it’s hilarious, I’d love that on my gauge 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LoL! 💩 
    2008 330EC