Options

What off-season projects are on your wish list?

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd lightly sand that drive and spray primer and paint it with Merc primer and Merc Phantom Black lacquer, then wax it. BTW, nice job on the weld, it's very hard to weld aluminum composites!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I also want to install a Big Orange filter.
    I would love to watch this done if you need some company or an extra set of hands!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Cool -- I'll shoot you a message!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I also want to install a Big Orange filter.
    I would love to watch this done if you need some company or an extra set of hands!

The install takes around 15 minutes. If you want to prolong it, make sure you do it over a football game with the television in front of you. LOL.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    (I also want to see the boat)
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    New bottom paint - VC-17
    solve my over heating problem
    upgrade my fireboy system to one with an alarm. 
    Get the props tuned too. 

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking really hard about a new fridge down in the galley.  Mine keeps freezing solid and running the batteries down.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the thermostat Stodge
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Since the Captiva 246 did not come from the factory with a port window in the head compartment as is often seen on other boats in class, I would like to install one but am not certain of the procedure. Is there an inner lining of the head compartment, then a void space before the hull? I have not been able to find any you tube videos demonstrating such an install. Does any one know of any instructional material regarding this? If so, thanks in advance and I'll post pics of the only existing 246 with a port window!
  • Options
    @Glassguy54 - I bet a lot of 246 owners will be interested. You should set up a stand-alone discussion for that one!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Handy, it could be that or the seal, or both.  But not sure if it's worth trying to fix a 13 year old fridge.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot cheaper than new
  • Options
    awhiresawhires Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Already got a new prop, Santa is bringing us a new stereo, a new compass, rear bilge pump, modifying the mooring cover to make it easier to snap. Same to camper top. New horn, replacing the one and only light that isn't already led. Installing a new ss led drink holder at the helm where the old compass used to be. New starter and impeller, dam! Maybe sew up some custom sheets for the vee berth, Better get busy
  • Options
    @awhires, great list of neat ideas, the next boating season will soon be here, actually it hasn't really left - just my boat has...its winterized and on blocks, LOL
  • Options
    Yeah, that list should keep you busy until spring!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Install the bluetooth adapter that is on one of the other threads, new impeller, add rollers to the centerline of my trailer (since the salesman didn't tell me that was an option), fix the gelcoat from where I gouged the bottom due to lack of rollers, and new bottom paint. As warm as it has been, I might get a head start on some of this stuff.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    My plans include... 
    Install second house battery on starboard side to act as ballast (1995 265) going to mount it inside the aft cabin in a vented box vented out the side of the boat. hopefully this will help the goofy lean the boat does at speed
    Rebuild the carb.  Im thinking the welch plugs are leaking on it, If  the boat sits still for a few days I have to crank and crank and crank the engine for what seems forever before it starts ( float bowl has to fill )
    install inverter on said house battery, the wife has found that she likes a blender on the boat
    MAYBE install a small tv at the mirror of the v-berth, Im thinking take the mirror off and use the tv as the door to the anchor rode storage area, Im thinking small tv with dvd combo ran off above inverter 
    Sooner or later Im going to replace the through hull on the port side in the back (engine hatch drain)  its currently blocked off with a piece of plastic, its above the water line so im not too concerned.
    Repair the hoses going to the water heater (dont EVER think you can stand on the grey plastic hoses, they dont hold up well to a size 11 shoe and a drunk lard a@@ trying to play with the bilge pump. I still dont know how I got my foot down there)
    If I only do a few of these Ill be a happy boy, 
  • Options
    House batteries, hmmm ... have you thought about switching over to thin-plate pure lead (TPPL) batteries for the house bank?  Better performance, no maintenance, and cheaper over the long run (assuming you can afford the initial sticker shock).  

AND a TPPL battery would not require outside ventilation because they do not outgas like flooded batteries.  (Interestingly, the flooded battery for my bow thruster is mounted in the compartment under the v-berth, and it is not vented to outside air.) 

Note, if you use TPPL, you'd need to replace your existing house battery with TPPL.
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the hot water tank hoses.. Can those be tuned on and off? The only time I have hot water is when I actually turn the tank on while hooked to shore power. Wasn't sure if maybe I needed to opens  valve or something? I always hear people always have hot water ready from the engine heat. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    You should find a couple of hoses between the water heater and the engine.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hot water tank lines do not have isolation lines on them. Cold water will simply run through the entire system if it isn't being heated. By turning the water heater on you are powering the element that heats the water in the heater. The water passes through whether it's being heated or not.

You should also be able to get hot water when you are underway. That tank should have hoses that go to your engine and heats off that. After running for 20 minutes open your hot water on the tap and see what comes out.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I really don't want to spend a bucket of money on batteries so I'll stick with the regular $100 ones. As far as the water heater there should be two black hoses coming from the engine going to the water heater. It uses engine heat to heat the water
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Last week installed windlass and also added a wireless remote from scratch (boat never had one) It was a lot of fun running wires can’t tell how many times I wanted to beat the boat to death

I would like to install an axillary battery, but gust may get a portable generator

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't want to spend a bucket of money on batteries so I'll stick with the regular $100 ones. As far as the water heater there should be two black hoses coming from the engine going to the water heater. It uses engine heat to heat the water
    Sam's Club has group 31 AGM batteries at a good price. They are made in the USA by Deka.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    .....and Penn-Deka make them For Mercury and West Marine too. They are awesome batteries. I have three of them for house and can run 2 fridges set at cold all day while anchored. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    -  Paint bottom of boat and drives.
    -  Intstall either mercmonitors or vesselview. 
    -  Wrap the boat in blue vinyl. 
    -  Fix finicky port side trim rams. Drive has trouble going all the way down. 
    -  replace front Eisenglass. 
  • Options
    @craigswardmtb - great list!  You won't regret the more-digital or all-digital dash.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i guess i'm crazy. i'm working on my animated christmas light show for 2016 while it's still cold!  lol won't touch my boat until april! plans this year are to buff, wax, and enjoy! oh and snap in carpet.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Wish I had a warehouse I could work on my boat in the winter lol. Just got my brand spankin' new Seablaze X Spectrum in the mail this week. Hope to order my Seadek for the deck/swim platform next week and also a VesselView 4 next week! Just depends on a couple things tho!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Every project will be a blast to launch!