Options

What off-season projects are on your wish list?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
Well, unless you are one of those fortunate boaters who lives close to the equator, your boating season is probably over.  I'd be interested to hear what off-season upgrades or renovations people are planning.

I need to service my outdrive rams, which no longer have enough power to raise the drives when I'm on plane.  And I want to adjust both of the outdrive trim gauges to give accurate readings.

Also, I'd like to add more grab rails to my hardtop.  Walking along the gunwales is a bit of a balancing act, and I think I've tempted fate long enough on that one.

Anybody else?  I know @diggin2day1 is looking at helm electronics, and @Michael T always has something up his sleeve.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

@LaRea - since you asked....yes, up my sleeve I do have at least one, maybe two tricks. I am installing a third Ocean LED Pro Extreme 8 color changing underwater LED. I got the green light from the Admiral this morning. As the pictures I posted in the past have shown I have one of the units at the outer edges of each side of the hull, underwater about 8"  directly above the trim tabs. This worked well and looked great.....but the stern drives block part of the light spread. The plan is to install a third one at the same level as the other two between the drives for a full spread effect. If I can find a picture of the Ocean LED pro 8's on the outer hull edges I'll post. BTW at the bottom of the picture you can see the Rinker factory o.e.m. Ocean LEDs that came with the boat. They are fine but I wanted crazy! When both sets are on (all 4) with the uppers strobing the fish are neurotic - really, it's too funny. Some of them turn upside down. keeps the grandkids mesmerized too.

Also, last year I extended the mattress in the front berth 14" using the same combination of dense foam topped with memory foam as  o.e.m. The Admiral got some of the same fabric as the factory o.e.m. and the mattress cover looks completely "factory". To support the increased mattress length I had a 3/16" aluminum plate made to extend past the o.e.m. edge of the front berth. The Admiral added a custom 4" thick topper over the mattress. We now have a bed that is a lot bigger -  about 6" wider than Queen size and about 4" longer than King size.....and way more comfortable. We can sleep on it for a week running with no issues. This winter the Admiral is going to change the draw string mechanism she originally designed (see picture below) to make the mattress duvet wrap tighter around the leading edge of the mattress and topper, for a more custom look. This was a huge improvement for me as i wasn't getting a good night's sleep before the mod. I can put up with a lot but not a bad night's sleep! The pictures of the bed are right from the factory and after the Admiral's work. BTW no knock on Rinker factory o.e.m. mattress. It was WAY more comfortable than most I tried. I'm just real picky and real long LOL - 6'6".

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    1=buff fiberglass
    2=install 4 new batteries
    3=install my new scotty downriggers
    4=install led lighting throughout
    5=clean up engines/bay
    6=install inverter
    7=install BBQ
    8=fix all the little things

and have a blast cruising around on my new boat :) and down rigging for trout while my wife sun tans
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    smart*ss. We'll be thinking of you next hurricane season!.....you know that's joking around,, right? :-)
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with you Ras. 
    1) New dock built
    2) Just get the boat in the water
    3) Find someone to help with props who knows what they are talking about
  • Options
    Mike- hurricane season way over rated, at least where I am at. Handy will have to keep an eye out, that's for sure. Upper Captiva (I'm sure Handy knows where that is) was 3' UNDERWATER! when one of those rascals rolled over that area in 04. Beyond the storm surge, the real issue inland is tornadoes.  I'm about 100 miles max inland from the east coast- by the time a storm makes it our way the wind is usually just not that bad- it will knock down some fences, peel off your roof if it's old but that's really about it. The storm surge which is usually a pretty small area, is what you have to watch as you can easily have 10 to 20' surge which will wipe out anything in it's path. Otherwise, I'm planning my next boat trip as our "season" is just getting started although I don't recall the last one ending.....
  • Options
    ....and, of course Ras that's just kidding - having seen what one of those can do - and yes we get them in Canada - maybe I shouldn'y even smart *ss around with such a comment! Let me revise my kidding to say - how is the boating in July/August???? Tiki used to say that was the time to put the boat away, as in boiling?
  • Options
    I noticed tremendous Tstorms mostly in the afternoon in August/Sept so I wouldnt want to get caught up in that. 
  • Options
    Heh ... MT's LED project "got the green light from the Admiral" ... now that's funny.

MT, I'd be adding some room-darkening shades on those side windows!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Major things/wish list:

detail boat

completely service out drive 

Order boat lettering for renaming boat

Find a trailer(help! Post coming later)

fix one trim tab

vessel view or merc monitor

uodate audio system

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Big list....

Major top to bottom polish and clean

New decals/pinstriping

New GPS

New speakers

New head

LEDs throughout/running lights

New bellows/seals

New camper top, or at very least the front windshield part/some stitching.

I'm prob. being a little too fussy, but that's the way I am. Hopefully can swing whole new camper top.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @ LaRea, re shades for the side windows - the Admiral "had that covered" if you look at the first picture of the front berth you'll notice dark fabric right over the portals. In the second picture I had the fabric off to open the side portals for some fresh air and forgot to put it back on for which the Admiral assigned me to dish duty for a week. The overhead hatches have screens and shades. You have to get up pretty early to stay head of the Admiral - I know it's my world! :-)
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Dang I want me one of those.  Al, what state you in?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Off-season superlative awards ...
    Biggest job list: @BellevilleMXZ
    Biggest job budget: @Handymans342 (for the dock!)
    Best plan for off-season cruising: @Alswagg
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Work more overtime to pay for boating season........lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I lived in ND for a while...had a snowmobile- lots of fun but 40 years ago they were pretty much crap and I think it was broke more than it ran. Lot's of fun when it was running! Handy- yes those July/August storms can be very powerful. We were pulling into Boca Grande Marina having just left Cabbage Key for lunch as we needed gas. We just go into the marina when it hit. The wind pushed the water up a couple of feet in no time in the mariana. Just about everyone's bimini tops were torn off and some were rated for 60 MPH. Took out the power to the marina and we could not get fuel. Some guy in this big ol trawler took have his boat apart to get to his fuel tank to get us some gas. This was my boat prior, a Tahoe runabout. If we had been caught in the open water in that boat I don't think we would have made it in. These are called straight line storms and they can be extremely powerful and then when they pass in 20 mins or so, you would never know there was a storm. Do watch out for those!
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Up here we ride mostly skidoo :) My trail is 1000ft from my house so I can sled almost everyday :)

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Straight-line storm, a.k.a. derecho ... Handy will remember the one that rolled through here three years ago.  Hella storm, that one.  Deadly.  I'm not sure I'd want a longer boating season if it means enduring storms like that!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I remember it LaRea.  Happened near the 4th of July.  Those are some crazy storms!

OK, back on topic.  My off-season projects, well, not sure I have any except to fix my bilge pump.  End of season it started popping the breaker.  Should be an easy fix.  I've also been thinking about replacing my TV/DVD cause it seem really picky about what DVDs it will play.  It's that or put a small player in the cabinet.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Mine is simple pray for an early spring 
  • Options
    That was a killer storm LR knocked out power at Belle Haven CC for 3 days. Lost 13g in food and numerous trees on the golf course.
  • Options
    06Rinker, you dont want a Yamaha, too slowwwww and boring but reliable. You need an Artic Cat Turbo 1100 CC. 
  • Options
    if they have progressed like jet skis have, my son in law has a turbo something or another, dang thing will it 70 like in 2 seconds, crazy
  • Options

Everyone knows Ski-Doo rules!! ;-)
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I have a little bit of all brands and years
  • Options
    Nice! Wide range there.....

checkmate said:
    I have a little bit of all brands and years

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Sleds are kinda similar to boating. You have to be fairly mechanical.......& must understand Time, Speed and Distance.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    As far as the boat goes, I'm getting a quote for Plasdeck from the dealer. Maybe some Ocean LED's. Although we are rarely out at night.
    Gotta keep working out over the winter so I don't look like a mess at Jobbie Nooner next June.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I also want to install a Big Orange filter.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already finished two projects that I wanted to get done. On was to get the correct dipstick tube and dipstick installed and the other was to have a new skeg welded on my drive (it broke over the summer). I might install a new gas tank float, the float now only reads 3/4 when the tank is full. I waxed the boat before I covered it with Collinite 880 but will like to use poli glow in the spring.

2008 330EC