Options

What off-season projects are on your wish list?

Comments

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    luckydog said:

Last week installed windlass and also added a wireless remote from scratch (boat never had one) It was a lot of fun running wires can’t tell how many times I wanted to beat the boat to death

I would like to install an axillary battery, but gust may get a portable generator

@luckydog How difficult was the windlass install?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    The bad news - boat's out for winter.  The good news - I can start dreaming about off-season mods.

Last year's dream was to install more grab rails on the hardtop, but the Design Committee rejected my suggestions, so that project is on the back burner.  A Raymarine e-78 and VesselView are on the Want List, but only if I can get it past the Finance Committee.  

So, realistically, all I'm planning to do is re-stitch a bunch of seams on my canvas.  That's it!  The boat was super-reliable this season.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I looked at installing the MercMonitor. I decided not to do it and I am glad that I didn't. My tach still acts up, so I am now considering the VV4 and placing it in the tach location. Got to check sizing... Like @LaRea stated above, the finance committee needs to approve it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This year:
     - New exhaust flappers on Starboard engine
    - Replace the water hose from the thru hull to the toilet
    - Repaint outdrives
    - Try #2 for VC-17 bottom paint - Done
    - The always minor things
    - New batteries
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Last winter I replaced all the canvas and installed a  new LED tv. This winter...
    Replace port trim tab actuator (doesn't extend all the way)
    Replace zincs
    Drive service
    New sound system 
    Replace those terrible Faria tachs with something else (not sure what at this point)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes @skennelly - that child will be lucky to join a boating family and an awesome guy!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Michael T - Thanks it's a new adventure for us that's for sure.  Expensive as well so no new toys for the boat.  Well maybe a few necessities :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    I've just barely purchased my 232, and I'm off and running on projects. I already installed the wake tower, and part of the stereo, just need the amp/sub still. Fishfinder/GPS to install. Decide on a extended swim platform and install. Buff/wax entire boat, and swap out batteries. I bought this boat on consignment from a dealer, and they put brand new batteries, but they are both starting batteries! I much prefer deep cycles. I also need to figure out my tach, on the test drive it was WAY higher than it should have read! I'm talking reading 6k rpm's at a mellow cruise! 
    Here's the tower, freshly installed. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sent out my Faria tachs and sync gauge to Faria Beebe  $350,will see when I get them back.that would of been good money toward VV. hope they work for a couple of years.just going to change the zippers on canvas.The rest of the list is to big to print.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I'm not sure what all will be on my list, but the boat was really perfect this summer...except the stbd transom leak.  So, that is getting fixed over the winter, and depending maybe the other side as well. While the engine is out I'm planning to look at things such as the swim platform bolts and replace or reseal as necessary.  Most other items in engine room are like new since I had the same engine out a couple years ago.  I may look at replacing some stereo speakers.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    My projects are maintenance. Changing the Outdrive gear lube I find this on the port drive.For my skill level, this will have to be addressed by a mechanic. The STBD drive had trace of milky so it will also be addressed.

STBD seawater pump bearing shot. Rust all in the bilge below the pulley. It made it thru the last part of the season for me! My skill level will be able to replace that. It has been recommended to replace it with a Hardin Marine pump (stainless steel). If anyone has comments about this product I would love to hear about.

My STBD gear lube reservoir float stuck at the beginning of the season so it was disconnected so not to hear the alarm all season. On the last trip of the season the Port reservoir stuck. So both bottles were removed and were cleaned. Wow was there gunk stuck in the floats. Now they are free and ready for another 12 years!

Tune up before launch next spring. Tried to remove one of the sparks plugs just to take a look and couldn't remove it. So if anyone has tricks or tips to remove a stuck/seized plug, please comment!

The Mods that are planned depend on you guys posts! Love seeing the mods you guys come up with!! 
  • Options
    Yeesh - that's some ulgy drive lube!

I'm a fan of the Hardin pumps.  I think I was one of the first on this forum to install them.  Very happy.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well lets see..

Bought the 2004 270 FV mid summer. 

So far this is what's been done

- upgraded the 350 raw water cooled to a 383 Fresh water cooled (not by choice)
    old 
    new

- New Radio  M505 Clarion
       *went with a non lcd screen remote for the helm and a lcd remote for the transom, ran the wires in about 15 minutes, super easy upgrade. 
       *replaced the switch covers with a link I found here
       *the two other circular things are magnetic mounts for a tablet..... it's what I run the VVM and the navionics app off of while I'm out... 

Helm (because who needs a blinding LCD display at night? I go out all the time at night) 

Transom:

New speakers all around:

-Replaced all three old batteries with new
     *2 $100 exides (most powerful battery I could find for 100 bucks, please lmk if you can find something better at this price) from HD and 1 starting battery (which have been flawless for the rest of the season!! ) 

- New Transom mount

So after all that... yes there's still things to do!

1. Install pump that will completely dry out the bilge.. my bilge STINKS like rotten eggs when water gets down there... after scouring this website there's someone else that has done this and it's #1 on my list. 

2. Led strip lighting the RGBWW kind, which will offer the warm white light that I love. The current light fixtures on the ceiling are terrible, possibly the worst lighting I've ever seen in a boat. Those things need to GO asap. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sehon-Flexible-Waterproof-Lighting-Controller/dp/B01HUYITJM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1479670840&sr=8-10&keywords=rgbww+led+strip

3. Replace the fridge thermostat that is currently stuck in the 100% on position.

4. Install a subwoofer.

5. Full wax and wash inside and out.

6. Would love to figure out some shelf storage solution for the kitchen area.. maybe in place of the old CRT tv I promptly threw out the first day of ownership. 

7. Anything else I find on this site while browsing... already have a few ideas from other posts in this thread..

:smile:
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, it never ends.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    For your batteries connections make sure the way they are wire up like the second pictures 
  • Options
    Will do, thank you. Pretty sure they are wired like the first diagram... so much for the previous owner having a "strictly marina maintained boat" like it was a good thing :) 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Will do, thank you. Pretty sure they are wired like the first diagram... so much for the previous owner having a "strictly marina maintained boat" like it was a good thing :) 
    A lot of marina's don't know to wire the batteries in the second picture above. I know that none of the ones where I boat at don't wire them that way. Heck, when I got my boat, the marina where the PO went for service added a second "house" battery at his request. The house circuit should have deep cycle batteries and the servicing marina placed a starting battery, in a box, on the house circuit. Then they used 6AWG wire to connect the two. I just shook my head in disbelief when I saw that. The good thing is I now have a spare starting battery. LOL.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ On the Hardin Marine water pumps. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    A lot of marina's don't know to wire the batteries in the second picture above. I know that none of the ones where I boat at don't wire them that way. Heck, when I got my boat, the marina where the PO went for service added a second "house" battery at his request. The house circuit should have deep cycle batteries and the servicing marina placed a starting battery, in a box, on the house circuit. Then they used 6AWG wire to connect the two. I just shook my head in disbelief when I saw that. The good thing is I now have a spare starting battery. LOL.
    When I got the boat it had 3 starting batteries in it! 

The thing is this guy who sold it to me was so admit about how this boat was so awesome because "no shade tree mechanic had ever touched it" and it was "marina maintained so that means you know it's LIKE NEW and been taken care of"  

Meanwhile the thing was obviously on it's last legs!! I did write him a follow up email telling him that he should never go back to that marina after some of the straight up non-sense that my mechanic found in the engine bay...  this battery thing being wired wrong isn't even close to some of the other things that were going on. 
  • Options
    Buff and wax done Presta cutting cream black wool wheel.
  • Options
    Do again in the spring still have a little hazing.need to see it glossy.now the out drive.
  • Options
    is that what it's supposed to look like?? 
  • Options
    No milk would be better.that should be a dry joint. The oil line from transom to out drive leaked. I knew I was losing fuild but hope the drive didn't get contaminated. but it's a boat what could possibly go wrong.
  • Options
    That's what my engine oil looked like.... :( 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    my off season project is a 20,000+ animated christmas light show. this will be season number 5. here is a  video from 2014. ran same show last year so no new videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfs2vHDUnQA

• Options
    Dude, you are truly an artist.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, those are neat.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod