Options

ok- time to get started on my bellows repair

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While waiting for parts, cleaning things up a bit. The only real corrosion on the gimbal, little around the steering pin, not inside the mating surfaces but out side and then where the water was getting past the seal at the lower end...behind the seal and around it. So, hopefully I have this cleaned up and protected and will last for some time to come...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury wouldn't want to think how much this bill would be if you had someone else do the work for you, great job!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Time I have, money I don't~!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you exactly how much it cost me - :) 
  • Options
    Here's what the Trans assembly cost (marina decided it needed replacement) 

6-6311002NZ MERCRUISER BRAVO MAGNUM TRANSOM ASSEMBLY 1  2,707.14 

Somewhere in this mess is the amount of time to install it along with the 383 FWC.. 

and here was the total.. 

Strongly considered selling the boat a few weeks after paying the bill and just going back to my bayliner :dizzy:
  • Options
    That's a heck of a bill after buying the boat...that was a motor too correct?
  • Options
  • Options
    Yikes...I'd be divorced
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    holy crap why bother with a estimate ,if I dad that I would be out of business 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy sh*t that's some bill!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I did not have any leaking with the steering pin- no corrosion and it came apart easily..gimbal I would love to replace some of the studs but think it will clean up ok.
    Do/did you have any side to side slop of the drive? I agree, about changing that pin to the SS anyway while it’s apart and get a good look at the gimbal ring figment of the pin square. A new oil seal is a must too.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    the pin washer nut and seal is $160 just got mine yesterday >I should be sitting on the swim platform this weekend ..instead Ill be under it 
  • Options
    There is also a company jr marine they recondition the rings it about $300n
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as they can use it. I sent mine up and they said not possible.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I can only guess they weld it up where it has worn- if it is all corroded then I'm sure not much can be done with that... 
  • Options
    yes if it corroded its no good ,I ended up buying a new one9Hill Marine makes them ) the stainless and the factory replacement is just about the same price ...I thought that was strange 
  • Options
    Ok, life has slowed a bit: Dad is finally in his his assisted living home, grad daughter that was having her second child had it, appears she and her other kid will be residing with us....so that is two grand kids, two grew grand kids in a 1200 sq ft house...niece that was murdered fathers day weekend in buried so that's all done: Would realm think I can devote some time to the boat before something else happens...so the holes drilled in the transom to check the condition, what do I seal the with? And I want to seal the gimbal seal also, what should I use? ....
  • Options
    Geesh, no help on those questions? So, did get the the steering pin installed today. Had removed the gimbal bellows and was re installing...so, I can't remember for sure, the water tube looks like it should nestle in a recess around the ring that the bellows attaches to- but when I installed the bellows, it looks like it interfered with the bellows and it did not go on all the way. So, I pulled it back apart and will have to clean and re install. Is the water tube pressed down into that recess around the bellows after installed? And my last questions which are unanswered, what do I seal the holes in the transom i drilled and use on the gimbal housing seal to make sure that does not leak?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food for thought... You might want to start a new thread. It is difficult to keep up with everything that is going on. Just my 2 cents worth...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    do you have the new style with the plastic part that goes through the transom or the all rubber  hose either way it sits into the recess on the right what kind of holes did you drill ,you could probably fill them with west system then glass them 
  • Options
    Ok, after what a year and a half, my transom asy is ready to go back on the boat. I will put the out drive on and dunk it to make sure no leaks. Granddaughter birthday next Saturday, mine we did yesterday ( happy 60?) so it is tuff on time..maybe Sunday I can get started at least!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!! Hope it all works out!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    good luck hope you just turn the key and you and the family enjoy it 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're rootin' for ya. And Happy Birthday ! Birthdays are a wonderful thing. We all hope to collect a lot of them .
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    OK- just got my HGE exhaust elbows in...I'm re using my risers as they look fine. I purchased these for $400.00 for the pair, delivered with a new gasket (had to purchase the one for the risers) and new mounting bolts, what a deal! Hopefully they are not made out of styrofoam or something...getting close but man...