Options

ok- time to get started on my bellows repair

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, pulling this thread back up, have some issues.

hopefully @Alswagg will bring me home.

Issues: 
    1. When I put the tilt rams back on , in the front, the spacer I put to the rear to hopefully pull the drive down lower- might be to low as I looks like the drive could bounce around and hit the bottom of the trim manifold or what ever you call it so looks like I need to move that to the rear to pull the drive out a bit, no big issue there but if someone can confirm that, that would be great.
    2.  I did not quite know how the hose for the reservoir to the out drive came apart, I just knew I did not want to break the fittings so I cut it. Unfortunately I did not keep all the pieces to know exactly how long that hose should be. Looks like either I used the wrong hose ( got it from a marine supply co ) or it's just to long. When you raise, it has put a kink in the hose.....so either I need to cut it and put a coupler in it to fix it better another day, or the drive has to come off. The true answer is really dependent on the next problem.
    3. Another thread I started was on the trim sensors.  I had the drive down when I pulled it off, the indicator showed in the down position as far as I know. The gauge has always worked fine. When I started to look at these sensors, I noticed that the gauge was pegged full up. So, putting back together, I aligned the marks on the limit per the manual and installed. On the position sensor, I really could not see the marks to align. So, I just sort of stuck it on there to play around with it. First, I would say that when I first re assembled, There were indents where the screws were tight on the sensors and it pretty much just popped right on there. I figured it might not be 100% but it would be close. Al pointed out that the pivot pins had been removed so it would not go into the same position. So, I turn the ignition on and raise the outdrive, with the limit switch clockwise to the max so the drive should not extend- went all the way up so obviously not reading the limit switch. I turn the position by hand and it does nothing to the gauge. I also notice, the covering has come off the wires to the position switch- I have no clue how these sensors work other than port is limit and starboard is position. Could those bare wires have grounded something out? I don't see any circuits popped but neither of them appear to be working..... 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I would of replaced the trim sender and pos sender when you did the drive 

• Options
    Maybe I should of just pulled off the out drive and replaced it! The trim and senders worked fine before I took the drive off- trim still works fine. Where do you stop replacing everything you touch?
  • Options
    When I was trying to fish that shift cable through I bet I messed up the wires...dang it!
  • Options
    Do it 
    and its set for years
  • Options
    I am doing my drive service this fall
    and senders are part of it 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tap the gauge could of got pinned and stuck There? Other thing is an ohm meter on the bullet connector  (160 to 0) when moving the puck.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    @reneechris14 I did tap it, but should have stuck down, not up! I may have messed up the wires jamming something down the back side of the motor getting the shift cable routed. I may have to take it back apart to fix the gear oil hose to the lower unit. This sure has been a learning experience!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks good luck though
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks,....finding time right now is just impossible....I'll get it.
  • Options
    Ras 
    you could
    of been boating all season for about 1200
    time is worth much more

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    Ras 
    you could
    of been boating all season for about 1200
    time is worth much more

Our season is all year Zav
  • Options
    I've had so much stuff going on with family and work- at least I've found a little time to tinker with the boat which is better than not using it at all. After about mid this month most of my distractions will be done (other than the looming holidays!) and the weather will turn a little cooler and we will get our boating on! Did not make any trips this year that I wanted to but, that's how things work out. I sure learned a lot about my boat, that's for sure...
  • Options
    edited September 2017

OK Well, I think it is time to close this one out. The bellows replacement I'd say was a success- have not put it in the water yet but do not anticipate a problem nor do I anticipate this was my problem. One thing I did not do that I'm now going to do is replace the water tube- it looked ok and I guess I got in a bit of a hurry and decided not to. Since I have to pull the housing back off to fix the hose, might as well take that as a sign and do it. My leak is either a transom seal leak (but I don't think so) a steering pin leak,  where the trim wires go through, or something up with the water tube itself and lastly, where the speed odometer hose comes through. I got up in the boat last night before I toted it off to storage as my trim sending units are not working and thought perhaps I messed up the wires on the inside of the transom fishing the lower shift cable through with my bayonet I was using to push it around (don't say it, already thought of it) but it was not. Don't understand as it worked fine before I took them off, trim works, gauge is pegged all the way up, so you can guess what my new thread will be- trouble shooting the trim sensors!

This job was really not that bad, took me for ever but between work, parts, life etc., I really had a hard time pulling time out to work on it. If I had everything sitting in front of me and all the right tools, I think I could do this in a weekend now.

Couple of things that really got me stuck-

1. when you replace the shift cable, be sure to remove the heat shield material that is at the very bottom of the cable on the inside of the transom by the exhaust- what a mess you will have otherwise trying to get that out.

2.Aligning the bearing- When I was having trouble getting the out drive back on, I had the tool to check the engine alignment with the bearing and thought I had checked it properly. This is still a mystery to me a bit- what comes first chicken or the egg. So, my coupler had been replaced a year ago July so I assumed the engine was in alignment with the bearing. After all, the out drive was installed. So, when I put the new bearing in, I assumed everything was still aligned properly, I put the alignment took in there and it did feed into the coupler but did not realize it did no go in all the way. I whined a bit on the forum and Al asked if I aligned the bearing and my reply was, how do you do that? I did not hear back so motored along. My buddy I borrowed the tools from, I broke down and called him after I had removed the outdrive and realized it was indeed not in "perfect" alignment.  So, he takes the tool...taps it in there a bit, spins it around a few times, keeps working it like that and states: Bearing is aligned. Would have never thought to do that in a million years. Guess I was puzzled that I would have thought you would align the motor to the bearing and not the other way around. I guess if he could not accomplished what he did, it would then required adjusting the motor some. He also put some grease on the tool so you could see the grooves on the coupler and know how well it was centered. It was not perfect but he said about as good as it gets. Also, now understanding why the coupler connection is surrounded by rubber and that is to absorb the vibration from a never perfect alignment of the coupler, bearing and out drive. He slipped the drive back on in two seconds.

3. Only other thing that got me was the darn hose for the gear oil- mentioned I cut it to get it apart as I could not see how it came undone- there is not a merc part for that, it's just a transmission hose and I did not hang onto the old hose to measure it- made it to long and when the drive went up, it now has a kink.

So, ordering a new seal kit, the U joint bellows ring, probably new trim rings.

I did see last night that it looks like wheree the tube for the speedometer comes through, it is broken off- looked like a little nylon piece there it connected to from the inside of the transom- hose was broken off with a piece of nylon inside so assume that is where it came from, is that a possible leak source? Don't know if that happened when the motor was put back in or if I did it messing with the lower shift cable...I will put it back in the water at the ramp to see if I can identify the leaking better knowing what I know now...figured labor day weekend was not the best day to tie up the ramp while I was messing with the boat, and now Irma came to visit.

• Options
    Just wait three days Ras and it will be floating in your yard
  • Options
    To bad I left the plug out...
  • Options
    So, hopefully will get the boat to the ramp finally to see if my bellows repair is good and perhaps I have identified the areas where I figure will still have a leak. I still have to put the props back on and I'm going to pinch off the Speedo tube as t is not connected on the other side and hopefully my leak. I also, after testing still have to figure out my trim sensors. Anyway, main reason for posting this am is a question about the drive install- the trim cylinders have that spacer piece that you can put on the front of the bolt or the back side of it that will pull the outdrive out or down a tad more- I put it forward and the drive I think is going to far down as it looks like it nigh hit the little manifold for the trim- guess that is a no brainer to re do that- correct? Or as lo g as it does not make contact, its not going to bounce around and hit it?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to have the outdrive sucked in as far as possible, when it;s all the way down, if that make's since. So it is tucked in as far as possible. Help's plane time. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yep..so when I went out there today and put the drive down, it did not go all the way down like maybe the sensor was now working but out of adjustment. At any rate, I wanted to get it to the water so we went- disaster!
    My truck has a check engine light on it, seems to be running ok but I was concerned about trying to pull that beast out of the water if I had any loss of power. So, I get to the ramp and kind of test it a couple of times...backing down and then pulling up to align the trailer better and seemed to be ok- so down in the water we went. I had left the hatch open for inspection, jumped down there and water is just a coming in- faster rate than it was before. I was concerned about the amount of water coming in, the pulling ability of the truck with a stern that was filling with water so I yanked it out, good thing I did. When I got back up on flat and stopped and we went to leave the truck was in fail safe mode and would not move. Turned if off and back on and was able to leave so dropped the boat at storage and took the truck to get it looked at.  So......I was in a pretty big hurry to get the boat out I did not have much chance to look. It for sure does not appear to be the steering pin as the water is coming in lower. I thought it might be the speedometer so I plugged that off from the out drive side so I guess it is not that. I did not replace the water pick up tube as it seemed to look fine but it does seem to be coming from that area. There is a web or structural piece of the transom assy right under neath where that tube comes in and the water was hitting there but I put my hand under where the tube comes through the transom where it connects and I do not feel water. I did not start the motor. It is for sure coming in higher than the bellows...any ideas guys? I will get my truck back to going and have a buddy go down with me- what a day of disappointment for sure...and by the way I did not replace that water tube- was that a big mistake? I know the answer and should have but could it be the source of my problem?
  • Options
  • Options
    I am a pro....in my mind anyway. I should be able to handle this.
  • Options
    Sure would have been a nice day on the water!
  • Options
    Ras, I am proud of you for trying but you have wasted too much time and money to do this. You have the boat on a trailer so you could have taken the boat anywhere to get it fixed properly in a timely fashion so you could have more time on the water. 
  • Options
    I hear you, thanks. If I had a big ol double motor I would not have even tried but I bought this knowing things I can fix, or learn to, I would. Probably a little over my head money wise with a boat like this. Plus, I love to tinker. I just have to get some time to get back at it and figure it out. I've spent maybe 300 bucks in parts and the bellows needed to be done- it just did not fix the problem. I'll get it!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.  Why do you think the water is coming in faster than before??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Just much more volume...the bilge would get it but at that angle half the motor would be under water....I'll need to get another pump I can catch the water as it comes in so I can see where its coming in...was really hoping it was the speedometer tubing...get through the holidays.....crap
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    just asking @rasbury....you did put the plug in and tight
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time when I had my bellows replaced, along with the shift boot, the shift boot came loose at some point before launch. The water ran in like crazy. Check to make sure they are all in place.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    this season the shift bellows had a hole/tear or ??......but it started leaking so fast and bad...my bilge pump stopped working ... we had to get a shop vac ... just glad i checked b4 we left.

• Options
    Dude,
    you need experience to do drive jobs period.
    i know a lot of crap and can do everything on the boat. When it comes to rubber I always leave it for marine shops.
    300 so far plus your time wasted.
    normal rate is a 1000
    per drive that’s if you even needed the repair in the first place.