What did you do to your boat today

1…139140141143145

Comments

  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides playing with my port engine head gasket issue, I changed the oil in the starboard engine and generator.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed Starboard cool fuel filter also.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Besides playing with my port engine head gasket issue, I changed the oil in the starboard engine and generator.
    What oil are you running in your Kohler? I am having an increasingly difficult time sourcing Castrol SAE 30. Just got 4 quarts yesterday but had to order it.
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    America is great.
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:

    Sold out of SuperTech??
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL!!😂 
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,952 mod
    I use the Pennzoil sae30 in my kohler.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t have a filter handy, though I did. I ordered 2 from partsfortechs.com . Also extra impeller and coupler.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Castrol because it’s clear. 
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for sae 30 your local lawm equipment shop will have tons of it. 

    Briggs and stratton as well as most kohlers since the command engines stopped being produced use sae 30

    Im a huge fan of the kawasaki line...we sell for 8.99 a quart
  • grouch0jrgrouch0jr Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    Today I tied off some extra dock lines in preparation for the incoming storm. This is the first weekend not taking her out in a long time.
    2006 342EC - Twin Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI Horizons
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I was finishing up my head installation, I noticed some water on the starboard side shelf near the water heater. I wiped it and checked it a little while later. Looks like it’s coming from the heater. I did notice that my freshwater pump was kicking on for about two seconds every once in a while. This is probably why. I’ll have to check if it’s a fitting or the tank failed.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also think I’ll be replacing or rebuilding my steering actuator. I was inspecting the starboard motor and felt some fluid by the piston seal. While I’m back there I’ll probably replace the steering cooler.
    2008 330EC
  • grouch0jrgrouch0jr Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    I've got a non insignificant power steering leak and haven't found the source, yet. Over the winter I plan on doing a deep dive on mine.
    2006 342EC - Twin Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI Horizons
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don’t see any power steering fluid in the bilge, it’s most likely the cooler mounted on the back of the engine leaking internally.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26
    @PickleRick has me thinking about adding closed loop to both engines. I sent an email out to Orca marine (random company I found), curious what pricing will be. I just don’t think it’s a good idea since the block has been raw water cooled for all these years. Any scale that comes loose will clog up the system. 
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 I did Mr Cool power steering cooler in my 330. Significant savings over OEM. 
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC I was thinking about going with them. Is there a specific part number?
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27


    February 2020 pricing. 

    My 330 had the 350 MAG MPI Seacore (closed cooled). Not sure if Seacore makes a difference for the PS cooler.
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27
    I'd be a little weary of putting antifreeze on an engine thats seen raw water.  There are engine flushing treatments and even coolant filtration systems.   Id worry id spend all that money to clogg up the new $$$ heat exchanger with rust.  

    Roll the dice, you might get lucky.

    But id probably wait until the life of these engines are over then add them. 

    How much is a GM 5.7 short block these days???
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I received this message from Orca. I noticed that Mr. Cool has some of their products on their site. I did decide not to do the install unless I had my blocks hot tanked.


    2008 330EC
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    At least you out now & not after giving money to find out 
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True!!
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29
    Im betting that roadside searay has small block chevys with closed loop systems, got room for two boats in the backyard?

    Probably free if you haul it off for them.  
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    It should buff right out 
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I removed my leaking water heater and ordered a new one. Should be here tomorrow. Love how someone used butt splices for wires that had ring terminals. I cut out the splices and added new ring terminals.



    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had this Camco bypass kit sitting in my basement for years. Finally going to use it! Mocking it up on the old heater. Kinda wishing I bought the longer one but hopefully this will work when I tighten it all up.


    2008 330EC
Sign In or Register to comment.