What did you do to your boat today

1…139140141142144

Comments

  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    Should be able to make it work. Might have to adjust the fittings so they are point at each other more. We had these back when we had campers. Always blew out & left empty for winter 
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wasted a ton of antifreeze for the heater!
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it was a pain to get it out of the system in the spring.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30
    I had that Camco bypass, and same as you, I let it collect dust for several years before installing it. I just threw the kit in the garbage after 2 seasons of use. The valves corrode quickly.

    I use Sharkbite fittings on the tank and now when I winterize I just pop the PEX off the tank and connect the lines together.
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30
    @YYZRC , What corroded on them? The exterior of the valves or the internals? There’s fresh water going through them 🤷🏻‍♂️. I can spray the exterior with corrosion protection if exterior.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in freshwater so no real corrosion issues externally. They got super stiff to turn (like a faucet cartridge that needs to be replaced).
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked on Amazon, I purchased it in October of 2021 😂
    2008 330EC
  • grouch0jrgrouch0jr Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I installed the same bypass kit on my water heater last season while winterizing. I had to pay with it a bit to get everything to line up right, but it still went on quick. I'm very happy with it!
    2006 342EC - Twin Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI Horizons
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know what took me so long to want to install it. Seems like it will be such a time saver.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    I have the bypass kit on my water heater.  I added it the first year I got the boat (2012) and never an issue with the valve.  I will say I leave water in the tank until I complete the winterization of the fresh water system, then drain the heater.  The prevents any feedback from the valve into the tank (which I've had in the past - I think this is due to only one switch valve that came with the kit?).  Aero, I can't believe it took you this long.  You are always on top of getting other things done with the boat :smile: .   

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn what do you mean by “only one switch valve “? My kit has two valves.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30
    I’m thinking to put the raw water side to the new heater in a loop and not have the raw water run through the heater. The barbs on the tank are always the first to corrode and leak. Most of our boating now is to a marina with power. We’re not taking showers in the head if we anchor out for the day (could always run the generator also). The only thing would be the transom shower wouldn’t be “hot”. 
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I’m thinking to put the raw water side to the new heater in a loop and not have the raw water run through the heater. The barbs on the tank are always the first to corrode and leak. Most of our boating now is to a marina with power. We’re not taking showers in the head if we anchor out for the day (could always run the generator also). The only thing would be the transom shower wouldn’t be “hot”. 
    Funny you say this. I hate blowing out the engine heat loop when winterizing, it's a pain in the ****. And you're right, that's always the first point of failure. 

    On the 390, I'm looking into running coolant through the water heater loop instead of raw water.
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be easy for you to do @YYZRC since your engines are fresh water cooled.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    aero3113 said:
    Should be easy for you to do @YYZRC since your engines are fresh water cooled.
    If they are fresh water cooled, then the antifreeze runs thru the water heater portion.  No need to do anything at all.

    aero3113 said:
    @Dream_Inn what do you mean by “only one switch valve “? My kit has two valves.
    I only have a switch for the water coming into the water heater.  Then, I believe, I have a one way valve coming out of the water heater before the T that would come in from that switch.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got ya @Dream_Inn
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the water heater today and installed the kit. Fits pretty well and I like how the valves are positioned so I can see them when the heater is installed. Honestly I never knew there was a reset breaker on the heater, unless I forgot!!



    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some spare parts now!


    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received the power steering cooler and the actuator today.



    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you need a new steering actuator?
    2006 390 EC
    2008 350 EC
    Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s leaking at the seal. I was able to get a good deal on a new one instead of sending it out for a rebuild. Also, I noticed that there’s some play in one of the clevis pins because one of the holes on the actuator is out of round.
    2008 330EC
  • FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    How much did the actuator set you back?!
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $727, normally north of $1500.
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2
    @aero3113, I had to replace my power steering cooler also. I'll see if I can find the picture I posted. I don't see it on yours yet but I believe there will be a temperature sensor screwed in there somewhere...that whole cooler is, at least on mine, very soft copper I'd guess as it bends VERY easy- even clamping on the hoses was concerning....I was almost tempted to find a thin wall piece of tubing to put in the copperside to keep it from crushing. Anyway, on ours, somehow the fitting which was brazed into a hole in that very soft material, had been broken off...and was put back on with JB weld! I did one up and superglued it back on! Just kidding. I think the leak also caused the power steering pump to go- which if that happens you can easily replace it with a gm Saginaw pump- exact same thing. The pump reservoir however is not the same.As long as the reservoir is ok, it seperates easily and the pumps like 40 bucks.
    I just can't imagine how that was broken. 
    On the mobile app, is there no search feature? Maybe I'd stop asking stupid questions if I can find it.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    @aero3113, I had to replace my power steering cooler also. I'll see if I can find the picture I posted. I don't see it on yours yet but I believe there will be a temperature sensor screwed in there somewhere...that whole cooler is, at least on mine, very soft copper I'd guess as it bends VERY easy- even clamping on the hoses was concerning....I was almost tempted to find a thin wall piece of tubing to put in the copperside to keep it from crushing. Anyway, on ours, somehow the fitting which was brazed into a hole in that very soft material, had been broken off...and was put back on with JB weld! I did one up and superglued it back on! Just kidding. I think the leak also caused the power steering pump to go- which if that happens you can easily replace it with a gm Saginaw pump- exact same thing. The pump reservoir however is not the same.As long as the reservoir is ok, it seperates easily and the pumps like 40 bucks.
    I just can't imagine how that was broken. 
    On the mobile app, is there no search feature? Maybe I'd stop asking stupid questions if I can find it.
    I've heard some say you need to change out the pressure regulator in the pump to do this. Ive also read where some people didnt know and never had an issue. 


  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick now that you mentioned it I do remember that being a part of a conversation..I don't remember how I handled it but have not had any issues. And yes, unless you've been there, no good reason to know what I'm talking about!
  • grouch0jrgrouch0jr Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2
    rasbury said:
    On the mobile app, is there no search feature?
    I've also noticed this.

    2006 342EC - Twin Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI Horizons
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the new water heater in today. I had to cut the water lines a little bit to get them to fit on easily. I also put in a loop so the raw water doesn’t go through the water heater (I’m not 100 % sure I’m going to keep it like this, but will this winter). I forgot to take a before picture of the space the water heater was in, it was so dirty! All cleaned up now and got the rust stain off the best I could. 




    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,949 mod
    edited October 2
    I changed out the O2 sensor on my generator today.  Talk about something that should be so simple, but yet in a difficult spot and can’t get a wrench on it because it is recessed.  I had to cut it in half and then was able to put a deep socket on it.  It fixed my EC60 code that wouldn’t let it start.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice @Dream_Inn ! 
    But would’ve been easier if you used an O2 sensor socket.
    2008 330EC
Sign In or Register to comment.