Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had planned on launching this weekend for a shake down run. Been in the mid 80s all week but Saturday the highs will be in the low 60s with 40% chance of rain.  The water temps have not broken 58 degrees yet.  Launching and retrieving require me to get into water about thigh deep to remove/crank up bow eye strap and chain.  I had planned on waxing a little of the boat in the drive way over the next 2 weeks or so but looks like I'll be waxing it on Sunday when the rain moves out.  

I've got my fresh water tank half full, pressurized system is primed and ready to go.  I spent a few hours flushing blue stuff out of my waste holding tank and I'll be switching to a live bacteria treatment at the recommendation of a local septic/holding tank expert.    Im considering going to compost or even bagged toilet.  Not being in a marina with pump out, the weekly diy dumping in an RV park is a nasty process.  I love the family but hate their crap.  My boat sits nose high on trailer so for a good pump out and cleaning i need to un hitch and lower trailer as the pick up is forward on the tank.  I'm hoping the natural break down of waste will be better than the blue dye that just kinda masks the scent.  Now that i have a clean vent hose i get a nice wiff of tank air when flushing the holding tank from the pump out port which is conveniently 4 inches below the deck mounted cap.  I'm considering installing a 2nd septic tank in the back of the properly just for pumping out the boat.  I do the main pump out at the camp ground but at the end of the season or if tank servicing needs to be done before repair  a good dozen or so tank flushes at home would be nice.   

I've got the boat washed, all sheets and pillows washed.  New air fresheners installed and 2 new tubs of damp rid to keep the mold free  between uses.  I'm still waiting on my oem bellow to arrive, eta is tomorrow but I'd like to have that already doen.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered about putting septic bacteria packets in the waste tank. Seems like it would help break things down and give a little more time between pump out. We are not near a pump out either. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    actually saw them this year and Im going to give them a try 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Ohio and Washington both have state-run pumpout grant programs using federal money.  Get your local marina to apply for a grant and install a pumpout.  The state will typically pay 75% of the cost to install and operate it.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Ohio and Washington both have state-run pumpout grant programs using federal money.  Get your local marina to apply for a grant and install a pumpout.  The state will typically pay 75% of the cost to install and operate it.
    And I believe the marina gets to then charge a maximum of $5 per pump out to recoup the remaining cost, but ours waives the fee and it's free. Probably just rolled the cost into our yearly dock fees.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @shawnmjr - lol that's awesome but talk about all foam.  That beer is so shook up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    My marina has mentioned doing it I should bring it up again now that I read the grant info on wa.gov website, didn't know about it before. There is a stretch of about 50 miles with no pumpouts and we are in the middle. The yacht club next to us has one but I asked when I got fuel from them and they said you have to be a member as there septic tank is small. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Id make the hour round trip to the big marina if they offered free pump out or even 20 dollar pump out.  Covid closed the restaurant and sushi bar last year but id have a good excuse for a few cold drafts while I waited should they reopen this season. We have a closer marina but with all the rain we've had the past two years the lake is at full pond, my head top, radar and spot light will not allow me clearance under many of the bridges.

I was dumping every week last year. I am hoping the bacteria and cleaning with vinegar rather than bleach will allow me to pump every few weeks. 

Our lake is controlled by the army core of engineers and the marina is privately owned so I don't know what, if any state incentives they may offer on pump outs.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Been reading about "Zaal NoFlex Digester" lately. Supposedly the CG uses it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7HRV4P/

Might try it this season.

• Options
    That stuff looks like a good option. 

Noticed this as well to keep your freshwater tank fresh as well
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, all of you are making me want to drive the 8 hours to my boat just to look at her. I hope to get her moved to Illinois from Pittsburgh sometime in the next few weeks. Still trying to find a slip somewhere. Clinton Lake and Shelbyville are a no go. Might have to go north to big water. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    Read the reviews, looks good, may try too, you can get it for around $23 elsewhere too

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Bayliner isn't known for high quality gelcoat but this is shining pretty good
  • Options
    Cheap eBay high speed adjustable buffer and some of this

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Looks like a boat in the showroom. 👍
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks, it's hard to keep boats clean down here thanks to all that red clay you see down by the tires.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice @PickleRick ! I’m deciding if I should do a second coat. With a wheel, it goes very quick.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    So far I only have 1 side compounded,I removed the fiesta vee and the topside stripe had to do a little wet sanding on those areas .......
     then it started to rain 
    I just bought the boat and had the seller bring it down by my shop 

• Options
    aero3113 said:
    Nice @PickleRick ! I’m deciding if I should do a second coat. With a wheel, it goes very quick.

I wonder how a spray on/wipe off wax will do vs another coat with the wheel?   The turtle wax had good reviews on practical sailor.  

Also I've only done one side from paint to rubrail. Im in for a long weekend/next week.  My bellow is still in transit last seen in Maryland on the 12th.  Im killing time
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I started using the 56 pure wax last season and am really impressed!  It's held up really well.  Yours looks great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I did my rinker 235 by hand the first season I had it.  My aunt was looking for my boat out on the lake and passed right by me after seeing me nearly every weekend for a good month.  

The only difference that weekend was the 3 step restoration kit.  

I can't recommend it enough but I would love to try poliglow
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Well, I finally got to clean my engine room this morning. 

Doesn't quite look like @LaRea but, it will have do.

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn is that the original mounting for the hatch ram motor. Mine is in the mid bilge and makes it harder for me to get to the bilge pump
  • Options
    @Grahamu yes, it us the original.  I repainted it this past year.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn , looks great! What did you use?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woke up on it!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    @Dream_Inn I need to come up to Naptown and get some time together to compare notes.  BTW I love how much space you have in front of the engines!
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Dream_Inn , looks great! What did you use?
    So, for the mildew areas I used

As for grease and general bilge, I used purple power.

@LaRea I agree, you need to come up for a few cold ones and chat!   I need to do a little wire clean up, so advice is good. I do love the space in front of the engines. In that pic, you only see about half of what is really there.  What is even more amazing is that somehow Rinker still put two single beds in the mid cabin.  Normal single size sheets fit perfectly. None of that shorten a few inches that most other boat manufacturers do.

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Waxed the port side today preferred waxing my 320. The 410 is a lot of waxing. Not sure when we are going in  as the Ontario government has closed all the marinas due to a covid outbreak