Options

2003 Rinker 342 having trouble coming on plane

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    WOT is a critical number for the longevity of your engines and performance of your boat. While I would never determine the pitch, diameter or rake of my props based on having 12 people on board it is critical to have your engines outfitted with propellers that allow them to operate within their specified WOT range most of the time. Under revving (lugging) and over revving will harm engines very quickly. If your boat will not get on plane or cruise without operating at high engine rpms it is trying to tell you get a bigger boat. Personally, I would not purchase a 342 with 5.7s or even 350 Magnums. I have several friends with 342's that have 377 Magnums and those work hard but well. IMO always purchase the biggest engines for your boat and you will be happy and have good resale. I have done this with 9 Rinkers and have always been happy with the boats and they have re-sold very quickly.
  • Options
    floridagatorbluefloridagatorblue Member Posts: 3
    ow long does it take to get one of the 342's up on plane. test drove one the other day and it seemed excessive for the light load on the boat.
  • Options
    floridagatorbluefloridagatorblue Member Posts: 3
    it was a 5.7 with bravo 3's

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    I never timed it, but from memory:

Drives all the way down
    Trim tabs all the way down
    Full throttle
    Should be on plane within about 10 seconds depending on load

If you don't put the tabs down, it takes a lot longer.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never timed it either but it doesn't "pop" on plane like a straight inboard or twin 2 stroke outboard boat may. I don't need to put the tabs down to get on plane though, I leave them up, drives are always all the way down, I give it around 3/4 throttle and I'd guess that from the time I start to throttle up to the time I'm on plane and throttling back to stay around 4000 rpm it is around 10 or 12 seconds. I don't slam the throttle down, I give roughly 3 sec from starting point to 3/4 throttle. Then once on plane throttle back. I have 350,s and bravo 3. I'm sure my neighbors 34 chapperal with bravo 3 and twin 496 gets on plane faster than I do! I had a 310 with twin 5.0 and I had to use full tabs and almost full throttle to get it on plane but it got there. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Tabs down?  I was always told to have the drives down and the tabs up when taking off. Did I make that up or are people just doing it differently.
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I always start off with the tab's down. Brings the bow down much faster......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    I always start off with the tab's down. Brings the bow down much faster......
    Me too. Manufacturer says that tabs are supposed to be used only to trim from port to starboard, I think to cover their butts. But reality is that I would say a vast majority are used to control bow position on the horizon. If I want to get on plane quicker, particularly with a load, it's tabs down.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tabs and drive down, once over the hump tabs up and then trim your drive to the correct position.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Tabs and Drives down, then drive gets bumped up just a click or two.  Tabs come up to around half way.  Depending on conditions they may come all the way up.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have a 310 but always have drives down and tabs up, only use tabs to adjust bow if not level one on plane and drives trimmed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    A 342 will get on plane much faster with the tabs all the way down.  Once on plane, retract the tabs.  Then trim the drives and tabs to optimize speed for a given throttle position. 

There's not much risk in using full throttle during launch.  It's not like the motors are race motors where you have to worry about shearing a drive shaft.  

If I want my 370 to cruise slower than 27 mph (for example, in rough seas), I have to run with the tabs down.  She won't stay on plane without them.  A 342 (2003 or later) will stay on plane down to 15 mph with the tabs down.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea, I don't think a 342 hull is completely out of the water or up on plane at 15 mph. Its basically level with tabs down 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342 seems to stay up at  about 22 or 24 with tabs all the way down. Wife had back surgery 5 weeks ago and this makes the ride way smoother. Full fuel and fuel water 6 people on board this weekend 12 seconds 0 to 20 I was happy with that. MT 350s do do the job just saying.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting on my Hill Marine 4x4 20P props on Wed. Will let you know how they do!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he did, ready for report. all passengers must hang on to grab rail, G forces may throw  them out. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @reneechris14 I'm glad you are happy with your performance. that's all that matters!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Swapped in the Hill Marine 4x4 20P props today. Remember shiny things are always good. Anywho, went out for a quick test run. Not wanting to over throttle, I smoothly accelerated (tabs down / drives down). I was totally shocked at the performance.  No digging down of the aft. Hardly any bow rise. Popped up on plane with zero effort. The engines are WAY quieter too, sound very good and not working 'hard'.  

Repeated the start from stop a few times, repeated each time. I even have less of a wave trying to wash onto the swim platform too coming off plane. 

Will need some extra time to get some VV stats. Got derailed rescuing a small capsized sailboat the guy could not right. Ended up making a USCG distress call as I could not help him much. Even the marine sheriff took an hour to help him right it. Ended up towing the boat and the sailor to safety, he had a pfd on but was exhausted. My good deed for the day. 

BTW:  2003 342 w/350 MAG MPI
    original props: 24P 3x3
    then 22P 3x3
    now 20P 4x4
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting! Can't help but wonder if your performance in chop could now be a little better like a v drive boat?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond when I get to about 10 or 12 I can really hear the prop wash till I get to about 18 mph then it really bits in and goes. Just wondering how the hill props do. Mine is 350mag bravo 3 22 pitch stock. Can't wait to here more. And yes go deed on the sailor.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Swapped in the Hill Marine 4x4 20P props today. Remember shiny things are always good. Anywho, went out for a quick test run. Not wanting to over throttle, I smoothly accelerated (tabs down / drives down). I was totally shocked at the performance.  No digging down of the aft. Hardly any bow rise. Popped up on plane with zero effort. The engines are WAY quieter too, sound very good and not working 'hard'.  

Repeated the start from stop a few times, repeated each time. I even have less of a wave trying to wash onto the swim platform too coming off plane. 

Will need some extra time to get some VV stats. Got derailed rescuing a small capsized sailboat the guy could not right. Ended up making a USCG distress call as I could not help him much. Even the marine sheriff took an hour to help him right it. Ended up towing the boat and the sailor to safety, he had a pfd on but was exhausted. My good deed for the day. 

BTW:  2003 342 w/350 MAG MPI
    original props: 24P 3x3
    then 22P 3x3
    now 20P 4x4
    BD great job with the rescue. Question of the day.......... Why wouldn't Rinker just make those the "stock" props?????????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I think those were different pitch than the props that dream used
  • Options
    I'm betting Mercury supplies the props with/for the drives at the OEM level. All about cost I'm sure!  

I'll get out this weekend and get some VV info to post and a vid...might have to link that.  Hopefully the engine noise reduction can be recognized.  Shocking reduction in noise.  

Got to make my first distress call, and bonus not for me!  Never got a thanks from the guy either. Likely saved his life. No biggie I guess. lol  Was a good experience for my son too.  Dealing with the USCG and just the stress of the situation (100% on the sailor). 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    We would have all done the same
  • Options
    I would be interested in knowing the origin of the engine noise reduction. My guess is that there is a difference in rpm  thus valve train etc. Interesting.
  • Options
    Same rpm as previous. 

I have to believe the engine loading has dropped to where it should have been. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I think those were different pitch than the props that dream used
    I'm using 21P. Almost finishing a 17 day trip, 400Plus miles, love the props. Worked great under all conditions ( and we saw many). About 100 miles of trip was in Ocean as well. Even got to meet up with @LaRea ! Man what great two nights if fun we had with them!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Where did you guys meet up at?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Where did you guys meet up at?
    Met at Still pond for the first night. Then went to Bohemia Bay for second night. Had a blast and really partied up second night on my birthday!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express