Options

2003 Rinker 342 having trouble coming on plane

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Nice. Happy Birthday! I can't believe he left the Potomac LOL. You guys get too much leave
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,541 mod
    edited August 2017
    We had a hella time!  For once, my 370 was the smallest Rinker in the raftup, with two 390s and a 400.  It has been a while since I ventured that far north.  It was an absolute blast meeting the crew of @Dream_Inn and their buddies.  They made us feel like family from the minute we got there.

Now I need to convince them to come up to DC next summer!
  • Options

4th of July!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod

4th of July!!!

It may actually be in the works.  @LaRea has given me some great info about a cruise up the Potomac possibly over next year's 4th of July.  May even have both the 390 and other 400 come along!

It was just too cool spotting that 370 come around the corner of Still Pond and radioing "LaRea, this is Dream 'Inn".  (guess I over road this topic, sorry)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Is the 370 rare??
  • Options
    Is the 370 rare??

Not sure, I've seen a few of them around anyhow.  There is one on our dock, and LaRea's PO used to be on our dock as well.  And Bella Sabrina on this forum has one and made it to Rinkervous with it.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,541 mod
    I posted a couple pix in a separate thread.  Good times!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same here...I love it when it's just the two of us- kids don't hardly want to bother with it anyway....
  • Options
    martinvsmartinvs Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem but with a much lesser load. My problem was bottom growth and barnacles. I have a wet slip and purchased the boat second hand so I was unsure of when the bottom paint had been done. We pulled the boat from the water and after a power wash she was planing much quicker than before.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    martinvs said:
    I had a similar problem but with a much lesser load. My problem was bottom growth and barnacles. I have a wet slip and purchased the boat second hand so I was unsure of when the bottom paint had been done. We pulled the boat from the water and after a power wash she was planing much quicker than before.

Welcome to the forum!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We rarely have guests aboard and when we do it's normally a small number (2).  That's mostly due to the fact that most of the people we know have boats and would be on their boats on an outing.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    @martinvs Welcome to the forum!  Looks like we may be neighbors!  We keep our boat on the South River.

• Options
    billy737billy737 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

I had some girls on our boat and had problems getting on plane also !
    2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee Conroe TX
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Gonna be hard to get that image out of my head. Good Lord!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaak! I just had lunch man!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Oh my!  two of them you can't even find the bottoms of their suit (not that I'd want to)!  & the one on the right actually looks thin compared to the others (& that's saying something!).

• Options
    Those are the 3 stars from My 600 lb life and their child.. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure what disturbs me most - the picture or that @Handymans342 knows this ....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    How do they have any quality of life except eating?
  • Options
    I think Joe Stang needs to review
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't even make into the head on my old 360. :-(

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You know over the years I really do believe in one rule
    no replacement for displacement but with boats there is more to account for
    i am talking about layout stern or ins and obviously the hull design.

i have been on single engine boats that can jump on plane with 8 people and boogie and on twin screws that’s had trouble getting out of its shadow.

342 with 350 fuel injected engines would be a good 4 person boat. I believe with it loaded it would struggle to get and maintain plane unless barried.

i actually looked at one local here and it had 350s but what drove me away is it needed a full canvas and one drive replaced. Let me just tell you it was a good deal
    but I knew it was a party barge that was beat on. So I passed even at 45k

my old 280 Rinker had twin 4.3 lx carved engines.

i thought to myself man I should of went with a boat that had twin 8s. 

Twin 6 Rinker impressed me actually. Boat was in ideal condition I would actually say mint but it would get up and go with 9 adults and proper gear and such.
    never had issue getting on plane besides one time I had 8 people and boat sat unused for two weeks or longer. So first time out it had to climb to knock all the dust off lol

i always spread the weight on the boat. That was either done with gear, coolers or people.

i actually was little sad when I sold her but it was sold to a young couple with a kid and house on the water. It went to a good home that really takes care of her and she sits on a lift!

342 is a large boat and needs hp and torque to get her going. I actually looked at Stodge’s 342 and man did I like it. He is like me and really keeps it too notch.

me and my wife have little kids and hoping for one more so my boating will be delayed by few years which is financially good lol

over my 15 years of being a boat owner and 10 in the marina scene I can tell you that I finally know what I want. I am
    not saying I am attached to a certain brand but Rinker is on my short list for sure.

i want 35 or longer but nothing over 40
    sterndrive or ins are ok

main thing is generator and needs to have a mid cabin and big engines.
    That way I know I have the power to burn less fuel when cruising but yet have enough reserve to get out and about with a crowd.

i mean most boats are stern heavy anyway so full tab is always needed with a heavy load in my opinion.
    once on plane tabs can be sucked in and leveled.

• Options
    One thing to add
    i do believe that large wide beams should be pushed by diesel engines 
    yes they are low rpm
    high torque beasts but when I piloted a 440 express bridge with Jesus I dont know 14 people on board the pure power gave you a sensation of worry free lift off and cruise 
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    One thing to add
    i do believe that large wide beams should be pushed by diesel engines 
    yes they are low rpm
    high torque beasts but when I piloted a 440 express bridge with Jesus I dont know 14 people on board the pure power gave you a sensation of worry free lift off and cruise 
    You finally have some sense LOL
  • Options
    Lol
    i mean 342 is fine with gas but I see some 40 ft boats that are gas powered lol
    no thanks 
  • Options
    I'll add that both Rinker 400 and 420s can really get up and kick some butt. I mean, mine has hut 45mph. Not too bad for fas engines and with the 4 blade props, she has no problem blowing the 342s getting on plane. I won't argue that yes, bigger boats with Diesels is great and around 40 ft is the limit. But man, I do love my 400 and have never wished it had diesel.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I'll add that both Rinker 400 and 420s can really get up and kick some butt. I mean, mine has hut 45mph. Not too bad for fas engines and with the 4 blade props, she has no problem blowing the 342s getting on plane. I won't argue that yes, bigger boats with Diesels is great and around 40 ft is the limit. But man, I do love my 400 and have never wished it had diesel.
    You did after it blew up
  • Options
    I mean look at formulas
    400ss that go 55 lol
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    I mean look at formulas
    400ss that go 55 lol

Yes, and they are much smaller inside.  Definitely designed to go fast, not as much for comfort.  They are a beautiful boat.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    We were at the NYC Boat Show over the weekend and there was a 40' SeaRay there with 3 350 Merc outboards that cruise at around 30 but will do 50mph and burn 116 GPH! And it was basically a bowrider with what I deem to be a small cuddy cabin. $768k list for a 40' bowrider?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/