Hurricane Irma

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt I will leave again
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Handy being macho now lol
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news man, what a relief. At least you got some Cajun food Being in Mississippi. Go home.
    Boat Name : 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Handy you were very lucky bro and I am happy for you but did everyone see the devastation in the Key's? OMG what a mess.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some love for us over in Orlando area? We got flooded, heavy damages to homes, couple of deaths but glad handy got squat. We have a lot of folks in my area really in trouble.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    ras the whole thing is sad. So many lives changed in a day........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited September 2017
    From the keys to Jacksonville, lots of folks got their a$$es handed to them and lives changed for ever. We have federal troops as well as 7000 national guard on ground. This was a big deal for Florida, just sayin.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Just read an article on how a very few changes happened at the last minute that helped tremendously. Fact is that it could of Just as easily been a.hole lot worse.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you guys, and your boats made it through the storm!  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 I have some friends who just bought a house on the water in Cape Coral and were supposed to leave the 7th to come down, but had to wait for the hurricane to move through. They have a 330 Fiesta Vee they are bringing down later after they get a lift installed. Keep an eye for "Skinny Dip" from Cincinnati, OH. Hopefully their new place is good to go, glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could've been.
    Make sure they hook up with me
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    You gonna talk them into a diesel conversion? :smile:

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Not too sure about the exaggeration. I think they give worst case scenario then hope for the least. I think they would rather have "we could of had this but thank God we only got that".......... And of course ratings and $$$....... 

I agree Raybo. Could you imagine the liability if the news downplayed it and then it's worse than expected?  Also, we shouldn't be confused, some people have sustained major damage. The real issue is who ended up being within 30 miles of the eye, where the winds were 160 mph.  Our place in St. Petes dodged a bullet, hurricane weirdly jogged right at the last minute. That was the difference between getting hit with 160 mph winds and maybe 80 mph tops.  Even at 80 mph, shingles came off, and siding is down.  I don't even want to think what my place would have looked like if we got smacked with 160 mph winds ... it definitely would have been devastating. We came out okay, but others didn't do as well. Keys is a mess, and now Jacksonville, wow ... that storm surge I think surprised a few people.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Mark, it was only a Cat2 at Tampa. 120mph
    edited September 2017

Up to Sunday night around 9pm it was showing Cat 3 in St. Petes. Bay News 9 showed gusts up to 166 mph at around 2 am Monday, and sustained winds at around 120 to 130 mph.  The eye was estimated to pass us on Treasure Island about 3 miles offshore (west), so it would have been a direct hit if it stayed that course.  At around 11 pm, it diminished to a Cat 2, and then I don't know when (cause I went to sleep), it did that funny jog right, and that really help diminished the winds in our area.

Some of the locals stayed, and some fishermen even stayed with their boats. They are saying 60 to 80 mph top winds is what they got. We had a bit of vinyl siding come off, and roof appears to be ok. But if we got those gusts of 166 mph, it would have been a whole lot different. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as they were predicting Sunday night.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• JasonAJasonA Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Checked on the boat today. Everything was great except the cabin carpet is soaked looks like about a 1/2 inch of water was in there at one point. I am guessing the cabin doors on the 280/290 do not seal very well.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the drain, which is in the corner behind the helm, is even remotely clogged, water will build up in the step well and get under the door. That drain location is a poor design. I am not sure about the 290EC, but my 280EC has a slight list to port, which also keeps all of the water from draining since the drain is on the starboard side of the boat. Glad to hear that boat survived the storm.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

None of the cabin doors seal well. If it doesn't drain fast enough (drain behind your helm), it will overflow over the track and behind the door (again behind the helm), and into the cabin. With enough of a sudden downpour, it's not surprising the drain won't keep up.

Can you get a fan in there to dry things up before mold sets in?  I'd get some DampRid dehumidifier buckets in there too.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• JasonAJasonA Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    I can bring a box fan down to the boat tomorrow, I already have a bucket of DampRid in the cabin. I left the boat in the water with with A/C running in the cabin, hopefully keeping it cool with the fan blowing on it will help as well.
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    You could also get one of those vacuum carpet cleaning machines and extract water from the carpet that way. There will still be some dampness after using the extractor but it will be a lot less and dry much faster.
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I keep my 280EC on the trailer, and have a 2x10 under the port wheels so it lists to starboard - that's the difference between a dry cabin and a wet mess of mosquitoes.
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I am a former Boy scout. The only thing at this point is to stay put or drive somewhere but where to??? The storm has several different paths to go. Also, Jose is on Irmas heels
    Handy,  you were right!!!   Jose was right on Irma's heels!  I hope you scathed through with minimal damage. She was one big hurricane.   
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @Wildboating started it.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Funny guys. Get down here and cleanup!!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I volunteered to head that way to help get communications going, but my employer won't let certain employees go. SMH!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that between our various utility groups Ontario is sending about 150 power linesman.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks

dying.....haha
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

that's just wrong....but funny, but so wrong.....first it was straight up the middle, then it was the east coast then it was the west coast and before it was done. pretty much was everywhere!
    I just got power on. Today we did a big dissater relief today. Served over 1000 people with MREs and water. I lost 5 lbs
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad you got the power on, good work on the meals, they probably need them. 
    Boat Name :