Options

Longest trip in 270

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ps. here's the trip by the numbers, assuming 27 mph.  So 365 miles.. what do I win? :dizzy:

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    ps. here's the trip by the numbers, assuming 27 mph.  So 365 miles.. what do I win? :dizzy:

I don’t like how the “6” overlaps the “1”... that leaves me confused an not truly knowing if that’s a “1” or a “12”.... I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
  • Options
    ha ha, yeah, and the Start line is overlapped by the finish, they should let you choose between just numbers or fancy icons. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to block island let us know in advance so we could meet up.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    J3ff. Awesome pictures and videos. Makes me want to take these trips even more. Your boat looks great. I see you typically run with both Bimini tops up?  Nice for shade but I wonder if it slows you down?   I have front and back tops but never brought the back one.  It seems to rattle and move around too much in the heavier seas. I just use my slant back top. I go to Martha’s Vineyard a lot for work. I too am confused by the markers in the harbor. Red and green don’t seem to jive.  

Renee and J3ff I would love to meet up this summer on Block Island or elsewhere. Let’s plan a date and just do it!
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    When I first got our 270, we did a trip from NY Harbor (home port) out to Shelter Island on Long Island. We did a week long trip, so there wasn't much hurry. The first day we just went to Oyster Bay and anchored there. The next day we got all the way to Greenport. 

I was so set on exploring shelter island/greenport area that I think I did hurry it a bit. Looking back at it, if we were to do it again, I would probably drop the anchor in Port Jefferson. (We also did a weekend trip there once, beautiful area).

I made it from NY harbor to Greenport on one tank, although I was getting a bit nervous the closer we got and basically went to the closest fuel dock I saw after rounding orient point.

Since then we've taken multi-day trips up the Hudson and such, but now we don't go as far and take in the sights along the way. 3-4 hrs of motoring is enough for me before I am eager to stop and relax!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Cassiola thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you get a lot of enjoyment from your 270 - that’s what I am looking to do.  I know it’s barely big enough for these trips but it is a lot better than the 22 foot cuddly we had before!  Thinking of taking my daughter and her fiancée. That will be a squeeze on this boat but in a marina we will probably be okay. The admiral will feel better if we bring someone else on the first Block Island trip for support and to help docking this single screw 270. Sleeps 4?  We shall see! 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @lovinlife=hand her ..... her favorite beverage and  .............. do ittttttttt.

@j3ff== I'm still in that young person view of $$==many of your expense are documented  here on the forum= $$$$

• Options
    you mean the normal experience isn't to buy a boat and throw 20 more into buying a new motor for it?  :#
  • Options
    luvinlife said:
    J3ff. Awesome pictures and videos. Makes me want to take these trips even more. Your boat looks great. I see you typically run with both Bimini tops up?  Nice for shade but I wonder if it slows you down?   I have front and back toos but never brought the back one.  It seems to rattle and move around too much in the heavier seas. I just use my slant back top. I go to Martha’s Vineyard a lot for work. I too am confused by the markers in the harbor. Red and green don’t seem to jive.  

Renee and J3ff I would love to meet up this summer on Block Island or elsewhere. Let’s plan a date and just do it!
    Sounds good!! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get him first in Florida.  Lol
  • Options
    I get him first in Florida.  Lol
    ha ha, I'm heading out of NYC at 330 tomorrow! Hope to be in KL by 8, apparently they have been hijacking cars late at night down there.. 

Friday going to do a little work in the morning, the main event I'm there for is to run some sound/lights Sat night and then back home! 

Turning around and going back down on the 10th and not coming home till the 26th!! Have a friend in St. Pete that I may go see, but he's nuts so if I swing by your place I'll be alone! :) 
  • Options
    St Pete beach is awesome. 
  • Options
    All are welcome
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread once again highlights just how versatile and a well designed hull the 270/280/290 series is. It is a LOT of boat for what was considered a 27 footer. I don't know of many other brands that anyone in the 27 foot range would consider multi-day and big water trips. I love my 270 and as far as "sea-worthiness" it was proven to me late last summer when we got caught in a sudden squall. My fault, looking at the wind and weather coming in I thought we had time for a fast cruise with some friends that were only in town for the one day. I kept one eye on a huge bank of dark clouds coming in from the north, so started off going north, and then directly back south ahead of the coming storm. Didn't count on the wind switching around an in the blink of an eye another storm cell came in from the west, one that we didn't originally see from our vantage point. Within a few minutes we were in a 45 mph sidewind with at least 4 to 6 foot rollers. Couldn't see past the spotlight on the bow with rain driving so hard sideways we were soaked, even with all the curtains up. I turned towards the lee shore, trimmed up a bit bow high, and plodded along at just above idle and rode the waves out until we got into the lee side and made our way back to the marina. I tried to look calm, but have to tell you that I was white knuckling it. But the 270 handled it with ease. Even with waves breaking over the bow. My biggest concern was getting rammed by another vessel that might have also been trying to beat it back to the marina. By the time we got back to the dock the storm had passed and the sun was shining. I thanked my lucky stars, an engine conking out during the process would have been disastrous. And learned my lesson.
    But the point being, that is one tough mother of a "smaller" cruiser.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Willhound sounds like a pretty scary situation but the 270 was up to the challenge. The single engine does add more risk in hairy situations like that and we all need a ditch plan “in case”.  I try to insure my engine is tuned, lubed and always has fresh belts. I posted a while back my review of our first season which was last year. Our original target was a 260 Sundancer because my dad had one.  So glad I didn’t find one.  It is not nearly the boat the FV 270
    is and would not be capable of the multi day trips some of our members have experienced. There is a very nice Sundancer on my dock and the comparison in space and livability are not even close. Nice boat but too small. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@luvinlife I feel the same way with my 2001 242. My cousin has a 2007 240 Sundancer and the amount of deck and living space my 242 has blows it away.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Having twins is great most of the time.  When we broke down, we lost the starboard engine.....and the only working power steering pump.  So while I could move forward on the port engine, I couldn't steer worth a darn.  Getting into port would have been a challenge at best.  The harbor entrance at Alpena is not super wide, is flanked by rocks, and is a 90 degree turn from the river as you enter.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I have had Boat US towing service the past few years. Only needed it once but thank God I had it! 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    So funny part of our break down story:  I have BoatUS towing and called when we got stranded.  They said no operators in the area but they would call around.  After a bit the Coast Guard calls, says they heard we were stuck and help was on the way.  I told them no, nobody is on the way but BoatUS was trying to find someone to come get us.  After another while, a sheriff boat shows up and asks if we're ok.  I explain whats going on and ask if BoatUS called them.  They say no, we just happened to see you there. :open_mouth:

Now were were in contact with BoatUS at times before help arrived.  I think they were struggling to find us some help.  I'll still get the towing since most of the time we're in an area where they have operators.  But lesson learned.  Call everyone and see who shows up.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited April 2018
    US Boat took almost an hour to get to me then towed us 45 minutes to the dock. Funny part I had a 20 dollar bill tip in my hand and asked if there was any paperwork. The tow boat operator said “that’s all the paperwork I need”. The tip. Never even asked for my Boat US card 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you call boatUS though the app they gave all your info, boat size color name and #.
    Have used them twice and I'll keep on paying for it well worth it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too....don't know if this counts as a trip, but we went to Dunedin marina for a week on ours. We had half our camper package complete. This is a little north of Clearwater fl and about the last spot of protected intercostal on the west coast. A great spot for venturing to various islands and nestled in a quaint town. It rained 27" that week, got the boat out once but we stayed confer in our 270 while a tropical depression came down right on us! What a week!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    luvinlife said:
    ... I see you typically run with both Bimini tops up?  Nice for shade but I wonder if it slows you down? 
    The work done by the boat engine gets spent mostly on creating the wake.  Air drag is only a minor contributor. 

A 270 at our marina routinely did 10-day cruises to the Chesapeake Bay until he recently got a 310.  Prepare, don't overpack, choose good marinas!
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    @luvinlife my son and I took a trip last year to still pond md to meet up at the rinkervous.awesome trip and by far my longest.   It was 93 miles one way if I’m not mistaken. Not too sure on the fuel burn because I didn’t leave w a full tank.   Cruised in the rain about half the way at about 35-38.  Stopped for gas and arrived somewhere in the 4 hr range.  I must say I was burnt out    Keeping your eyes peeeled for that long wore on me.   I suggest making the legs of your trip based on how long you can stare at water, lol. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately for us inland river boaters, we don't have to go very long before we have to stop. Those darn locks and dams tend to get in the way. My wife and I did a 3 day trip in our old 232 cuddy. We had only been dating about 2 months when we did it. I figured if we could last thru that, we were a good couple. We ran 5 hours on a Friday, thru 6 locks. Spent two nights at a marina with a 270EC and a Carver 280 who also made the trip with us. On Saturday we all jumped on one boat to make the trek thru the final 2 locks on the Allegheny to the "End of Navigation" then back thru those two locks to spend the night. On Sunday we made the trek back to our home marina thru 6 locks. It was an adventure for sure. I didn't have a bimini on my 232cc and by the end of the weekend, I was ready to get out of the sun and off the water.  It would have been better on a cruiser. That trip was 126 miles round trip. Now that my daughter is older (3), we are looking to go to Marietta, Ohio or Morgantown, WV. Guess I better start planning...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding to the comment on the Admiral being nervous. We did 100 miles this summer for the first time together. I’ve done 1000 mile boat trips in my younger days but the admiral was still
    nervous. So we bought a PLB. As @skennelly commented it really put the admiral at ease. She doesn’t care aboit break downs, just safety so it was worth $250. She was ready to hit the button but later admitted there was nothing to worry about. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
     In my case the main reason the Admiral is nervous has to do with docking at an unfamiliar Marina.  In my opinion we do fine backing in our 270 but she just about hyperventilates every time  we arrive at the dock and she has to step up and tie us off.  For a while I was in the habit of leaving the helm to walk back and step on the swim platform and help but one of our dock neighbors is a long time boater saw us and  recommended me to never leave the helm until we are tied up so now I never leave the helm unattended while we are docking. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife - I'd agree with that statement...never leave the helm until engine is off.

As for docking in unfamiliar marina's yeah it's intimidating, but in the end the Admiral and I feel like stronger boaters.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited March 2018
     I told my wife we can always call the dock hands to assist