Options

Longest trip in 270

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    We are doing a Lake Erie trip this year. Maumee Bay, Put-In_Bay, Cedar Point and Pele Island.  I think it came out to about 300 miles total.  
    Sounds like a great trip! We did Pelee last year for the first time in decades and loved it. You will want to either take bike's, or rent them. We took them. There is a rental shop at Scudder. The winery is a great time.
    On Cedar point, some of their docks require a 50 amp to 30 amp converter which they will rent you for $10. For boats under 40' they will put you at the far end of the marina which is fine, but a long walk. The 40' docks right by the restaurant/gas dock and park entrance are really nice and convenient. To me its worth it to pay for a 40' dock and be docked right in front of everything. Definitely need the 50a converter at the 40' docks though. The price during the week is not much more for a 40'. I have last years dockage info if you need it. 
    I have a group reservation form from Cedar Point.  Looking at having 5 of us go this year.  But thanks for the info.  I'll ask about that when we book.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Dream that is exactly the size dinghy I would get. West Marine has one that sells fur $899 but has gone on sale much cheaper.  A 3.3 two stroke would be perfect. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    luvinlife said:
    Dream that is exactly the size dinghy I would get. West Marine has one that sells fur $899 but has gone on sale much cheaper.  A 3.3 two stroke would be perfect. 

The 3.3 is a perfect engine at 28lbs.  Easy to remove/install and always starts on first pull.  I also have a 8hp Evinrude to play with here and there, with thoughts of using it on a hard bottom.  But, it's just easy and nice to use the setup that I currently have.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    luvinlife said:
    Glad to see Rinker owners getting in some real adventures. Planing as many at my schedule allows thus season. Still pondering getting a dinghy. 

A dinghy will change your boating habits for the good!  It sure allows you to anchor out and yet get what you need from shore.  I'd recommend getting no larger than a 8'6" and a 3.3hp.  You can stay relatively inexpensive on the dinghy and a used outboard.  The outboard will always keep its value for resale, so overall not a huge expense to try it out.
    really want a performing dinghy - like a Zodiac Futura with a 35HP engine that can still be towed/strapped to the swim platform (not deflated obviously).

We have inflatable paddle boards too - so I feel that would really get us the best of both worlds. It's just a 280EC, but single engine makes docking in winds a challenge and it would be much easier to launch the boat Thursday evening, anchor it out, then Friday - Sunday just dinghy over and play without waiting at the ramp.
  • Options
    I got a 10 foot RIB from West Marine.  It moves pretty good with a 2 stroke 8hp motor.  I have this on some Nautley Davits, with the motor attached.  I went into the lake with a 4 stroke 4hp motor when I was still doing the weavers on the swim platform. Won't go back to a configuration like that.

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    The 3.3 Mercury 2-stroke fits under the aft seat in the FV270... it’s a perfect motor for me. I bought a new 9’ 6” Saturn dinghy from Boatstogo.com (    https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boat-sd290.asp  )     about 6 years ago. Has a high pressure inflatable floor... perfect for me. I drag it 105 miles to Block Island and then back home. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Keep me posted on when you guys head to Block. Happy to host a drink if you dont mind a bunch of crazy kids running around.  We head out to Block just about every possible weekend in the summer.  I think we did 10-12 trips last season, with two continuous weeks mixed in there.  It was a good Block year.  We anchor between breezy point and Dinghy beach typically. We usually have 2-4 boats tied up with inflatables and dinghys floating off the back. It's always a fun time..  Block has everything you need. It's the best supported harbor for anchoring that I have ever been too. So many services.  The marinas are great too. During our week long stays we usually grab a couple nights at the Boat Basin to get some ac, power and clean laundry.  With that said we hope to make it to Nantucket this year for a portion of our big 2 week trip we do every year. Expanding our horizons a bit...  
    As for Dinghys, get one.  It will totally change the way you boat. We have an 11' rib with a 15hp.  Perfect for pulling tubes, going to remote beaches, and hauling lots of beach gear.  And if dad doesnt feel like steering my 10yr old loves to drive us to dinner or wherever instead of annoying his sister. 
    See you on Block...
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 - what kind of performance do you have with that combo? Any concerns towing it at plane like you posted? That's my dream - only with the Zodiac Futura (if I can find one) on my 280EC. I'd secure the outboard up of course.
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 - what kind of performance do you have with that combo? Any concerns towing it at plane like you posted? That's my dream - only with the Zodiac Futura (if I can find one) on my 280EC. I'd secure the outboard up of course.
    I don’t keep the motor on the dinghy while towing it... I honestly don’t even know it’s back there. The nose of the dink is up on the swim platform and it’s secured to the custom davits by 2 stainless carabiners. I can even back up and the dinghy stays put. 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 Why haven't you put weavers on it?  Just curious.

• Options
    @diggin2day1 I meant of the dinghy - sorry. How does the dinghy perform with the 3.3HP. Can you plane or is it just putting around?
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 I meant of the dinghy - sorry. How does the dinghy perform with the 3.3HP. Can you plane or is it just putting around?
    The dinghy moves just fine with the 3.3hp... the size and weight(28lbs and fits under aft seat) make it all worth while. 
    @Dude_Himself - this just worked out the way I wanted it to... no real reason. 
  • Options
    Hey Digging, that’s a great price at $899 fit the Saturn dinghy. Does Mercury still make the 3.3 two stroke or did you find one second hand? My swim platform has Weaver davits.  I wonder if I could glue the clips to the front of a dinghy and drag it like you do?  Love the idea. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

I know you weren't asking me, but I have the same setup and with one person, I can get it to plane with the 3.3hp (using a 8'6" soft bottom dinghy).  Gotta sit a little forward though.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Trying to convince the admiral that I dinghy would be fun.  The West Marine PRU-3 is $899 but went on sale at $699 last spring and an amazing $499 on Black Friday. Waiting for the spring sale and a further discussion with the admiral. 
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Reading about all these trips makes me want to get hauled out of the puddle I boat in and dropped off at Lake MI 
  • Options
    @McGarnicle There are TONS of places to go on the Great Lakes.  

• Options
    Craig, J3ff - I am going to book a slip at The Boat Basin on Block Island for the night of July 4th. I may cruise over early evening in July 3rd and anchor overnight too. Hope to catch you guys there or another time! 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fun! I'll be moving to FL on the 8th of July...so will be a little tough to get out that way then! Maybe late July Early August though! 
  • Options
    J3ff If all goes well I’ll definitely be on the block again later in the summer.  Maybe we can meet at that point. I’m also hoping to get a trip to Mystic. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ill be at Block anchored by Breezy Point somewhere between August 3-11. 
      @luvinlife - I’ve had that Saturn Dinghy for 6 years now and it’s great. I bought my 3.3hp Merc used. I am getting it cleaned and tuned this year but it has been great. Haven’t gotten the dink to plane , and I never really expected it to. But the motor is 28lbs and stores neatly under the aft seat. 
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forth is on a Thursday that will start my vaca. Not going to block that week end but will focus on August 3-11 is total do able. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 310(ten ft) and a 7.5 2 stroke. The platfrom on the 342 is big enough that I just pick up one side and pull it up on the platfrom and tie off. You dont need to go fast just get from pinot A to B. The dink will definitely change the way you use your boat. Think i your case the small motor is light and stores good. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought and inflatable one for our 270 but have yet to use it...it is 2 Rick power, in other words it will go as fast as I can paddle it and it won't plane out. Your supposed to be able to do something with a short shaft electric motor but have never really bothered with it yet....
  • Options
    Ras, funny!  But you did hit one point I have been afraid of....never or rarely using a dinghy.  I can take a launch in to shore in most harbors for a few dollars. But I still want a dinghy. 
  • Options
    We have a dinghy so we can take the dog to shore to do her business.  

• Options
    We don't have a dog.  
  • Options
    luvinlife said:
    We don't have a dog.  
    So take yourself to shore.  :)

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Good point Stodge!   OR.....we could hail the launch service. 
  • Options
    We anchor out in local bays.  No launch service, just self service.  We used our dinghy a good bit on our big trip.  It was nice to take a lap around Flower Pot Island, or up the river in Alpena.  

Another benefit of a dinghy around here is to visit stores/restaurants around the lake after we anchor.  Been more than once I've gone to get ice or other supplies.

Guess it boils down to how you boat.  :)