Just ordered my Hill Marine 4x4 Props!!!

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    well, like I said Raybo.  My initial reason for getting a new prop was because I was buying two new props every year (yes, because I kept spinning hubs).  But, after reading up a bit, the big cow prop from HM had a lot more to it for those with B-2 drives.  My boat is absolutely amazing with the new props (yes, the Mercury 4X4s might have worked as well, but not really sure what they had for B-2 drives).  My hole shot is so fast and no struggles whatsoever.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Props are on the drive, drive is back on the transom, boat goes in tomorrow! Very excited to try these things out!

Is that new blue bottom paint? If so, it should be 1 inch from the transom
    It is not new. Also I'm in freshwater.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,457 admin
    Dream_Inn said:
    well, like I said Raybo.  My initial reason for getting a new prop was because I was buying two new props every year (yes, because I kept spinning hubs).  But, after reading up a bit, the big cow prop from HM had a lot more to it for those with B-2 drives.  My boat is absolutely amazing with the new props (yes, the Mercury 4X4s might have worked as well, but not really sure what they had for B-2 drives).  My hole shot is so fast and no struggles whatsoever.
    Ahh DI I think you just answered my question....." yes, the Mercury 4X4s might have worked as well"...... My guess would be that the Hill and Merc's would be about the same but maybe the Hill would be cheaper????? IMO 4x4's with a 20 or 22 pitch cupped stainless steel would be about the same regardless of the manufacturer but the price would be different....... BTW my whole point in asking is that Hill do not come up with some magic formula or super secret in making props...... Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Props are on the drive, drive is back on the transom, boat goes in tomorrow! Very excited to try these things out!

I think the paint touching the drive is mainly due to the chemicals in the paint reacting with the metal, not the water being fresh/salt. Some bottom paint is made and is ok to touch the outdrive, hopefully that is the case.
    Nope, I don't think Hill came up with any magic formula.  Just a darn good prop at a good price!  But, for me, it was something special because of the different hubs.  I had been looking for 5 years for a prop with different hubs for the B-2 drives that could handle the horsepower I put to them.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And they can handle the tourqe as well
  • thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

I think the paint touching the drive is mainly due to the chemicals in the paint reacting with the metal, not the water being fresh/salt. Some bottom paint is made and is ok to touch the outdrive, hopefully that is the case.
    Ahh ok, got it. I don't think it's causing an issue. The drive was just off and doesn't seem to have any corrosion issues. I'd like to strip the bottom and repaint it but that wasn't a this-year project.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Props were waiting for me when I got home this morning... they’re on and ready to go!!
    Best of luck bro......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    enjoy them big upgrade 
  • CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    You'll love your boat that much more!!
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Are they staggered from each other or in line? Looks like they are inline but thought they should be staggered, could be pic angle? ( or I could be wrong thinking that)
    2008 330EC
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how you put them on... According to other threads about this
    I staggered them directly under the center of outdrive 
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1 = already looks faster ... just sitting there=nice

It's 5am, have you tested out those props yet????  :D:D:D
    J3ff said:
    It's 5am, have you tested out those props yet????  :D:D:D
    lol.... scheduled 10:30am launch!
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
  • CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Ok lets go with an update or I'm not buying anymore stuff from you!!  Lies, you know I will. haha
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
    He's probably got a smile from ear to ear right now! 
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I also put hill 4x4s on my 270.  I had some things done to it at a local marina and they did a water test.  All my mechanic said after testing is "there is a big difference"  I can't wait to try them out myself.  
    Anxiously awaiting the update from D2D1.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
    it's just about an hour after launch, cmon man, get on that phone and give us an update! :P 
    Okay, I’m at Kingston’s Clam Bar eating lunch after a choppy ride here.... UNBELIEVABLE DIFFERENCE L... no joke!!! Up on plane much quicker under much less power. Held plane at 20mph easily and she just sounded happier. 
    Glad to hear it worked out great for you diggin!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I might have to make a switch next year.  

Question:  did you change pitch going from 3 to 4 blades?  I'm running 24 pitch 3 blade props now.  Curious if I'd need to go down a pitch switching to 4 blade.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Don't wait till next year. They seem to tell people to drop a pitch because you have two more blades in the water

Good news!

I just looked up Kingston's, will have to try it out this season. Looks like a tight marina? Do you have to call ahead or can you just show up?

2008 330EC
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Don't wait till next year. They seem to tell people to drop a pitch because you have two more blades in the water
    We're already in for the season and I've spent my boat project budget already.  So it will have to wait.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited May 2018

Oh man, another happy Hill Marine customer!  I just love mine every time while going up on plane.  I used to cringe a bit while getting on plane, hoping the hubs would hold out.

Glad to hear you are already enjoying it Diggin'! :)  Have a lobster roll for me!