Just ordered my Hill Marine 4x4 Props!!!

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd actually like to try some 22p four blades vs   20p that are recommended and see what happens.. the quieter motor makes me think that there's still some power (torque) not being used... Does that make sense?
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    I opted for the 22s.  I will report in a couple of weeks when I get the boat in.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Hey LOOK! I can see @diggin2day1's boat!  :p
    Happy to hear the props are working for you.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Tie up right along this bulkhead:
    Seriously now... I cruised around a lot after lunch. It was windy and the bay had a nasty chop today. I was completely thrilled with the way the boat handled with the new props. Blown away how fast she jumped on plane(remember, I have a 2002 FV270 with the low platform). I started with tabs all the way down like I always do and she hopped right up with noticeably LESS throttle. Once up on plane I noticed that I was cruising comfortably at 20mph(usually plane at about 24mph). Like @J3ff said: seems like the stern of the boat is up out of the water. Even on a hard turn it seemed to handle much better. Another thing that I noticed was the engine is much quieter... Like I said earlier, I wasn’t expecting a miracle... but a miracle is what I got. Completely changed that characteristics of the boat. 
     I went from 22p Mercruiser 3 blade props to 20p Hill Marine props. 
    JonnyM said:
    I opted for the 22s.  I will report in a couple of weeks when I get the boat in.
    Ah, excellent! You have a 350 or 383 ? 
    Oh yeah... I even tried getting on plane without the use of my tabs(which used to be a joke)... she still got right up fast than she used to with full tabs. Yeah... money well spent!! Now I can tell my wife I bought them(better to ask for forgiveness than permission!!) lol
    edited May 2018
    Here’s a quick snapshot of my VV4... 3600rpm at 24mph while burning 12.9gph with 90 gallons of fuel and (2) fat guys on board. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @diggin2day1 , it's nice to know where to go once you arrive.
    2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was it before Keith??
    Oh yeah... I even tried getting on plane without the use of my tabs(which used to be a joke)... she still got right up fast than she used to with full tabs. Yeah... money well spent!! Now I can tell my wife I bought them(better to ask for forgiveness than permission!!) lol
    I only have to use tabs when it's windy now... to balance the boat, never to plane... really has to be something cool happening there to lift the boat. Also did you try and use the trim at all? I used to have to trim it up a little, now I never touch it.. 
    @aero3113 - Get the lobster roll or shrimp tacos(both w/fries)... thank me later. Also try Nicky’s on the Bay(a little further west). 

@Handymans342 - I used to be at about 3800/3900rpm at 24mph burning 13.9gph

@J3ff - I always used to use a small amount of trim(up) and a small amount of tabs in any condition. I have the 18” wide trim tabs and it always felt better with just the slightest amount(all the numbers agreed with the feeling too- rpm, gph and mph). I can’t wait to run her on a flat bay and see what she does. 
  • thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Splashed today. Something else is going on with my boat that the new 4x4s didn’t help. 

What changed:
    I can cruise comfortably at ~7 MPH and get 2.2mpg which I couldn’t before. 

I can stay on plane at 25mph where I couldn’t before. 

What stayed the same:
    I still top out at 4000 rpms and 31mph. With a 496HO. This is with the throttle firewalled. Brand new shift cable. VV reports 26 gallons per hour so I’m pretty sure I really am at WOT. 

This has to be the super low swim platform dragging. I can’t think of any other issues. 

Also my hot water heater exploded. lol
    edited May 2018
    If your platform was dragging at 31mph you'd know it in the form of it being ripped off your boat, or some other BIG problem that wouldn't allow a nice smooth ride. 

What pitch did you get ? 

The only weird thing is that with a 383 and 20p props the BEST milage I could get (at 29mph and NOT wot) was 1.8mpg... so I'd think you with a bigger motor should be less than that.. 
    I hit 34mph today in the chop with a quick try... didn’t really push it due to weather conditions. When I get out there and it’s flat I’ll get some speed/rpm and report back. 
    I think I top out at 38
    Splashed today. Something else is going on with my boat that the new 4x4s didn’t help. 

What changed:

What stayed the same:
    I still top out at 4000 rpms and 31mph. With a 496HO. This is with the throttle firewalled. Brand new shift cable. VV reports 26 gallons per hour so I’m pretty sure I really am at WOT. 

This has to be the super low swim platform dragging. I can’t think of any other issues. 

What is the motor specs? What is the max rpm rating on the name plate?

What changed:

What stayed the same:

What is the motor specs? What is the max rpm rating on the name plate?
    496HO, 425hp. Just noticed that max fuel consumption is supposed to be 34 gal/hr so at 26 I wasnt even close. Rated max RPMs is listed as 4500-4900. 
    Sounds like you should be at 22P
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 - Get the lobster roll or shrimp tacos(both w/fries)... thank me later. Also try Nicky’s on the Bay(a little further west).
    Will do!!
    2008 330EC
    edited May 2018
    Sounds like you should be at 22P
    just saw his post where he says he's at 20p.. I'd think there's something else up, 22p should only make his RPMs drop even lower.. sounds like not enough throttle cable or something else (do all cylinders have good compression?) as aprice alludes to.  

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @thepriceisright==are you sure you have a H.O. 496 or a 496 Mag
    do you have a pic of your motor
    i have a 496 mag/375==4800 ish @ 45ish=gas/water/provisions/wife & dog=turning factory 24
    i have never seen a factory H.O. in a 270
    also i thought the earlier boats big blocks were 454s
    Maybe it is the MAG. Either way not making it past 4K RPMs is a problem. 

Good compression on all cylinders. No codes using either VV or a laptop plugged in with the Mercury diagnostic software. 

Maybe it is my throttle cable. A shift kit wouldn’t have fixed that, right?
    edited May 2018
    just asking your sure its the 496
    do you know last time =plugs & wires were changed out
    fuel filters/injectors 
    how many hours on engine
    edited May 2018
    trip_n said:
    just asking your sure its the 496
    do you know last time =plugs & wires were changed out
    fuel filters/injectors 
    how many hours on engine
    Yes it is the 496. 100% for sure. 

Plugs and wires last year. Not sure on fuel injectors or filter. About 260 hours. 

Edit: confirmed it’s the 496 MAG based on the serial:

MERCRUISER1998 & Newer4964S42028N1496 MAG. STERNDRIVE
    edited May 2018
    check your fuel/water separator and i think there is a inline fuel filter
    if the platform drags  was on plane it would be
    you should be turning @least 4500 with the orig props
    get your engine serial number and go to mercruiser  and it should give the generation 
    and specs and a diagram 
    Ok. I’ll start diagnosing. 

Should i exchange the 4x4s for a different pitch?
    edited May 2018
    my opinion you shoulda went up====but woa ==it doesn't seem your boats running right ==from the get go and need for props
    also yout drive is the b3/find out your gear ratio