Just ordered my Hill Marine 4x4 Props!!!

Comments

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    and dump some sta bil  fuel treatment in
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    OK, I thought it was worth pulling this thread back to life.  Some of you know that about a month ago, on our 10 day trip to VA beach, we didn't make it.  We hit something in 20 feet of water and, well, went thru a new coupler, outdrive & so on.  I had some decent dings in my 4 blade HM props.  So, luckily, with a fantastic mechanic, got the boat back up and running within days!  But, I had to use my old 3 blade AL props.  Which, yes, I was very thankful having.  

Well, I had contacted Hill Marine when all this happened and ended up speaking to Ron, who is the guy that started up the place and runs it.  Very cool guy to talk to (would love to chat with him over some drinks, he knows a lot).  He said he'd put a new hub on it for free (because some of the initial big cows had some slight issues with hubs anyhow).  I had them refurb the prop as well.  

I got the prop back and installed this past Saturday!  Prop looked brand new!  Oh my freaking goodness!!  I really did gain almost 300 rpms back!  Let alone really splitting my on-plane time in half.  I had really missed those props for the last month, but so happy with another 10 day coming up this Friday!  :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes it should be....or a blue hill?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    rasbury said:
    Yes it should be....or a blue hull?

rasbury said:
    Yes it should be....or a blue hill?

Ras, did you have your coffee yet this morning?? :)

• McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Can you guys post a link on where you purchased the 4x4? I heard something about there being two Hills maybe family or something like that and one is better than the other. 
    I got mine from Ron at Hill marine.  Here is the web site:

https://www.hillmarine.net/

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been thinking about ordering Hill 4x4’s for my 330 since I bought it. I like the idea of being able to get up out of the hole quicker, little bow rise, better slow speed maneuvering, no cavitation during high speed turns and less engine noise. I hope all of these are true!!!! I ordered two sets today. I called and asked a bunch of questions, they recommended that I go from my 22P 3x3’s to 20P 4x4’s. I asked if they ever have any off season sales, he said no but if I ordered them he would sell them for an even 2k including shipping. He also said that in March they will be raising the price $100 per set. Can’t wait to get her in the water!
    2008 330EC
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will love them. And wonder why you did not do it not sooner.
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still loving my Hill Marine 4x4's... mechanic has been all over my engine and even though it's just 3.5 years old he asked me what I've been doing, (changed the impeller out yesterday and it barely looked used, etc) because everything inside and out looks barely used. Have to think maybe it's something to do with the low stress caused by using these HM props where the motor really doesn't work that hard to get the boat moving. Who knows, just a random thought on a Thursday night.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Still loving my Hill Marine 4x4's... mechanic has been all over my engine and even though it's just 3.5 years old he asked me what I've been doing, (changed the impeller out yesterday and it barely looked used, etc) because everything inside and out looks barely used. Have to think maybe it's something to do with the low stress caused by using these HM props where the motor really doesn't work that hard to get the boat moving. Who knows, just a random thought on a Thursday night.
    Or it could be the fact that its always broken 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! Really Handy?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I to have tought about this. I put the 20 pitch on my 270 and it made a world a difference. My 342 has no problem getting on plane but I run close to 4000 rpm (faira tachs) to stay at 30mph. I fell like the boat really flattens out at 32mph but thats to many R's. If I was to make switch I would stay with the 22's just keep the top end ie: fuel economy. Im going to invent an ajustable pitch prop so you can dail in the RPM to speed.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @reneechris14 , the way he was explaining it to me was that Rinker chose the pitch for our boats when they are light. Start adding all the gear, coolers then passengers, water and fuel plus the added blade he recommended to go with 20P. He said if there are any issues it would be no problem to exchange them.
    2008 330EC
    Aero, the 20P will be perfect for you!  When I ordered mine, I went down a notch in pitch as well.  I am still happy and amazed with my boat every time I throttle up!

@aero3113 could not agree more and if I was selling you these prop I would say the same thing. I think you will be amazed at the difference. The admiral makes me run the boat full of fuel and water all the time not to mention other goodies.
    J3ff said:
    Or it could be the fact that its always broken 
    Ha ha good one!  It has a few hundred hours on it
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭

so what Hill marine 4X4 pitch have most been going with on mag 350mpi FV270?

20, 22 ?

@skuter99 20 pitch is the best prop for the 270 with 350mpi.
    They also said 20p for the 383 stroker..

Part of me wishes I went with a 22 to see the difference. 
    What a tease! since I can’t use them, I  put a coat of wax on them! LoL. The installation instructions says no evidence has shown clock position of propellers to alter performance. I wonder what you would experience it the Merc props weren’t clocked correctly?

2008 330EC
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same as, I don't think it would alter performance. However when installing them, I always clock them. 
    Boat Name : 

From what I have read long as the blade dont past together  under the cavitation plate you will be fine. 
  • JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    @aero3113 What engines are you running?  I have twin 350 MAGs w/ 22p 3x3.  Hill recommended 20p 4x4.
    2008 350 EC
    @JimGuy341 , that’s what I have also and what Hill recommend fo me.
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    360 MAG MPI’s on my 342. Using the 20P 4x4 love them. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I installed my propellers tonight. I also timed them even though the Hill instructions say there is no evidence at this time that timing the props help.

2008 330EC
  • JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Just ordered mine today.
    2008 350 EC
    Boy those are shiny  B)
    They look great Aero!  One question, the picture looks like there is no locking key behind that nut?