Options

Fall Boating

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @diggin2day1 , I don’t know if you have him mixed up with someone else but I know him as Auggie. Company name is Boat Finder Transport. Possible Auggie is his nickname????
    His last name is Augustine.... hence the nickname “Augie”. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @diggin2day1 , I don’t know if you have him mixed up with someone else but I know him as Auggie. Company name is Boat Finder Transport. Possible Auggie is his nickname????
    His last name is Augustine.... hence the nickname “Augie”. 
    Makes total sense!!
    Great honest guy!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taken today. Awesome fall afternoon on the boat! 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been in the 90's all week here, and another week of mid 80's coming, but the river has been high/no boating since the September 10th, having to travel to different body's of water. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mid 40’s, rain and windy. Haulout day. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Heading out to Davis Park, Fire Island NY today for a boating “Friendsgiving”... deep fried turkey, homemade pies and all the fixins’... a little chilly but will be fun!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Had a bunch of us meet over at Fire Island today each of us brought food for a “Friendsgiving Dinner”... cool calm day on the water.
  • Options
    Lookin good Dig, 
    Shawn, look's like a nasty day up there, I have at least  another month. 
    BD is out, gloomy  looking up there also.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1 very cool. And nice pics. I'm curious, when you mentioned deep fried Turkey in the earlier post, did you do it earlier and bring it or do it there? How did you heat things up? Did some of the bigger guys have ovens?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I'm moving to the keys next fall.. down here right now. :) 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    I'm moving to the keys next fall.. down here right now. :) 
    Nice
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @j3ff what kind of work will you be able to do in the keys?
  • Options
    We will be there in the spring, mothers day week end. looking for place's to stay? Maybe a boat? any ideas? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    We will be there in the spring, mothers day week end. looking for place's to stay? Maybe a boat? any ideas? 
    I have seen a few houseboats for rent in Key West. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Nice Ram
    I knew you were gonna say something with all the Ram and Ford jokes I made. My Chevy is up for sale and I bought a Ram lol. I don’t like the new Silverados so I went to Ram. @Handymans342
    Do you know anyone who has a Ram or Jeep with the Eco Diesel?
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What’s the question besides it’s one of the best 1/4 ton setups in the bizz
    i have a hemi rebel and my friend has eco 
    i get 14mpg mixed he gets dang near 20
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Back to Fall boating :) bittersweet day on the boat today, last run down to take her to the winter home on the Hudson for inside storage. Canal system closes Wednesday and originally today was supposed to be nice but overcast with a hint of sun now and then. Nice trip though, docked, pumped out, had lunch, packed up the last of onboard stuff as we stayed on her last night and left to be hauled tomorrow and winterized.

If you are interested here is a time lapse video of heading through the Waterford flight of 5 locks down to where the Mowawk meets the Hudson.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That video was neat. Made for good morning coffee. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Very cool video!!! 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn’t see a link for a video
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    edited October 2018

We did a nice run up to Rock Hall (about 1.5 -2 hr round trip) on Saturday for lunch.  Was really smooth out and was sure nice!  Love the pics Diggin!

We have a Halloween dock crawl this weekend with even a little two piece band we sponsored on our dock. Should be a lot of fun!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    Didn’t see a link for a video
    Click on the word "here" in the last sentence and it will link. Depending on your browser it isn't apparent that this is the hot link. Cool video. Off today and tomorrow, family stuff to do today, but have all day tomorrow and forecast is looking hot and beautiful, so looking to spend the day on the water.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thanks guys, I found the 0.5fps on the GoPro works best  - get to see what goes on without it being a long drawn out affair, it takes around 1.75 - 2 hours to do the flight.

If you are interested, I have a couple posted for lock 17 both east and west bound - this is the highest lift on the system (and maybe the US) at 40'

@GMSLITHO Click on the here in the original post - or a few words back :) but I also made it more obvious, is a link when posting but unless you hover it appears like normal text.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    @icoultha - Ian, great video!

From someone who has only experienced a lock-through of about 5' (max) vertical drop/rise in the Chicago Locks, I do have a couple of questions. And please forgive my naïveté - but I am fascinated by the process you have/had to go through.

1) Is this just a seasonal trip (spring launch/fall take-out)? Or do you do this fairly regularly?

2) What's the average "real" time it takes to go through one of those locks - and the entire trip?

2) In the lock, how did you stay tight to the wall? Are the lines/ropes long enough? Or is there some other system? And any currents to deal with as the water drains?

Again - awesome vid!
  • Options
    Hi @TonyG13, thanks and some good questions that maybe others are wondering too.

1) Is this just a seasonal trip (spring launch/fall take-out)? Or do you do this fairly regularly?

In this instance it's to take to storage and in May we'll be back up again to home port, the Crescent Boat Club. We have done an overnight to go to Waterford to stay there - just to get away for the night, walk to town for dinner and then farmer's market the Sunday morning (may have seen it in the video). Being a 2 hour trip each way we don't do it that often just for the sake of it! More often we track west through lock 7 to Scotia or Schenectady for an overnight or even lunch and back.

2) What's the average "real" time it takes to go through one of those locks - and the entire trip?

The flight is around 2 hours but in season when busy it may be up to 4. A point of contention at the moment with the staffing of the locks is that it presents delays as they have the lockmasters ferrying between them. We were lucky yesterday with minimal delays and was under 2 hours. Each lock in the flight is around 35' so each is around a 20 minute exercise to raise or lower plus travel time between each. Lock 7 is around 30 mins to traverse if they are ready for you.

3) In the lock, how did you stay tight to the wall? Are the lines/ropes long enough? Or is there some other system? And any currents to deal with as the water drains?

In the flight there are ropes hanging free (they hang all the way to the bottom) as well as plastic coated steel cables fixed both end, some locks have poles (about 6" diameter) as well or instead of cables and each has at least 4 ladders - 2 each side at each end. Where possible I go for a cable or ladder as they are fixed and use the boat hook to grab it as I slide up to the wall. If at the bottom I then use a lock hook - a basic steel U shaped hook with a handle - and at the helm reach out and slide up the cable or step it up the rungs until the top then use the boat hook before it gets out of reach; opposite going down - boat hook then lock hook down. The Admiral usually grabs a rope with a boat hook sitting at the stern as a backup safety but I can do the locks myself from the helm. Some do the same, others put a rope around the pole and hold and slide up and down, some cleat it so they don't need to hang on; personal preference.

Think of the lock as a bathtub - drains from the center and going down is usually pretty gentle with a bit of pulling out from the wall. Going up, the water is coming in through the drains in the center and if you have 30' of head water, for the first 6' or so it can get a bit squirly depending on what the lockmaster does with the valves - if he throws them open I am hanging on pretty well at first. Lock 7 I traverse most often can be a gentle ride up or an arm tugging exercise. Lock 4 in the flight (the 3rd one we go through in the video) you may notice takes longer because it drains slower as there is an issue with one set of valves. Plus westbound at the moment you need to port side lock otherwise the pull is pretty severe. Lock 17 is the same - always a port side west bound locking based on how it had to be built with the vales and pipes.

Hope that enlightens those that may not have had the chance to lock through.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Thanks so much for the details. Fascinating!

Here in Chicago the controlling lock for the main branch of the river drains - or fills, as the case may be, through the gates themselves as they open/close. No "floor" drains here.

So depending on the current and the amount of water flow through the gate, you can get a tremendous amount of pressure flowing against the boat.

Sometimes if you don't have someone tight on the line at the bow, the current will flow between the bow and the wall with enough force to pull the boat free - and the lockmasters aren't too happy when that happens and you've got a "floater" bouncing around. (Been there, done that. LOL)

I like the idea of the fixed cables. It would seem to be much easier than holding a slimy rope - which is what we usually do.

Thanks again for enlightening us!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Very well written @icoultha !  I've never traversed locks, but find it fascinating.  Maybe someday if I travel the great loop!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always learn something new on this forum.
    Thanks B)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct