Options

Fall Boating

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat Hahahahaha never lock through so fast before. they are close together. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the video through the locks as well.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Interesting the differences with locking through here. Locks all have the steel cables with thick wall black poly pipe over them to protect and some have a few fixed steel "pipes" running from top to bottom. And ladders in case of a man overboard situation or for maintenance. No "ropes" hanging down.
    You are allowed to use a boat hook to bring a cable closer to you, or even grab with your hands, but before locks are actuated every boat must have at least two lines looped through behind the cable or pipe and one end must be tied off firmly to a cleat on the hull. The other end must be held by hand, cannot be tied off and cannot be looped more than once around the cable such that there is less chance of not being able to disengage the line when the time comes. The end that is tied off must also be held such that you can "shimmy" the line up and down the cable as needed to keep pace. Ladders may not be grasped or used to loop your lines. Boat hooks cannot be used to control the cable, but can be used to push off while raising and lowering to keep the hull off the wall. Of course you also always throw out as many buoys as you can. For small craft (very small tin boats, canoes, PWC's) the two line rule doesn't apply, a single line is ok and/or the lockmaster will often ask you to allow them to grasp your rail or a line on your hull on the side away form the wall, that is on the inside track.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    rasbury said:
    @j3ff what kind of work will you be able to do in the keys?
    , part time captaining at a dive shop, property management for the wealthy... is the plan!
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound must be different up there as the lockmasters don't care how you ride up and down. The guide is more specific but it's not the only way. Some of the bigger (read more $$$$) use the skyhook to hold in place or do it manually, you hear the thrusters growling all the time when you lock through with them.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Interesting the different systems. On the older (i.e. 1920s and 1930s) locks on the upper Ohio and Mon rivers they have pins on the top of the lock walls. You are required to have a 100' line with one end tied to the bow cleat and the other hand held. The lockmaster then loops your line over the pin at the top of the wall and you either let out line as the lock waters fall or take in line as the lock waters rise to hold your boat to the wall. when done you simply pull the line back to your boat. In the newer locks (i.e. after the 1950s) on the Ohio, there are floating pins recessed into the lock walls. You loop your line through one of these  and hold it to the wall. The pin goes up or down with the water level. No direct interaction with lock personnel in these "newer" locks.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Well, to take it back to the original topic it was a beautiful day on the water yesterday. Saw some sights, fall colours and came across a buddy of mine that was out fishing so we rafted up for a bit. Work barge getting some things done and an old lighthouse that us now a private cottage. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice lighthouse.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Nice, best time of year. too many put there boat's up to soon. IMO
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Another 10 days before haul out. Hopefully some decent weather yet. Pic from my buddies boat on Tuesday.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    Nice lighthouse.
    No choice here, had to get through the canal and not worth paying the >$300 a week to have in the water still where I store.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Still wearing shorts cannot be to cold yet.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited October 2018
    randy56 said:
    Still wearing shorts cannot be to cold yet.
    That was a beautiful, but one off, day. Hit about 75F. Today is about 40F and drizzle.....
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Probably the last warm day here yesterday, got out of work early and went and took a nap on the boat to celebrate the start of the weekend. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Nice....we had our first cool morning yesterday...68!
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Got out for a bit this morning. 48F and a bit  choppy but bright. Fall colours are out. Some random pics. Note the narrow approach to our harbour. You get one chance only. Water is way down too because they've opened up the dams/locks downstream as they do every fall to limit ice damage at freeze up. A bit of trim up and I can squeak through.

And Cheers!

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Nice pic's....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    1.9 ft yea trim up time, nice place. Rain here all weekend. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful day at Davis Park, Fire Island today... pretty darn chilly but the kids still went swimming(crazy!!).
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

Nice pics Diggin!  Crazy kids swimming!  It's been a few years since I was swimming in October even around my area. 

We had a nice little dock crawl this weekend.  I had a band play and we had about 30 people.  Most even dressed up in Halloween costumes.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    leaves are turning here and a sea plane on the lake 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that reminds me of my days in Old Forge.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately no fall boating for me in Pittsburgh. The marina owner sold out and is turning off the electric and water to the docks today, or so he says. I didn't want to risk it, so I pulled her out on Saturday and winterized the engine. I started building the frame for my cover yesterday while listening to the football game.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Our last trip for the year was to PIB Oktoberfest. :
    We left the marina around 8:30am. It was overcast, spiting rain, 42F, with 15-20 mph SWS wind. Lets just say it was a little sporty & wet trip over Saturday morning  
    It did clear up & the afternoon was really nice

We did get a nice sunset Saturday evening. 

The upside was we had an absolutely gorgeous ride home Sunday.   
    It was a great end to the 2018 season!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    @vyborny1 nice pics, and I love your little parrot towel hangers, we have a set too and keep them in the same spot. Paint rubs off a bit though....
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful slow cruise along southern lake Michigan headed to storage. 
     Hammond Indiana To Michigan City To New Buffalo To St Joe .
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures Bryan. Hope you had an awesome boating season! 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Michael T said:
    Great pictures Bryan. Hope you had an awesome boating season! 
    Hey Michael !  We hadn't used the boat much this year compared to all the years I have been boating, seemed whenever we had time the lake and winds had sail boaters in mind.
    It did give me plenty of time to plan out boating excursions for next year (god willing) 
    Plan on putting the boat in and heading up the Michigan coast stopping at most of the Marinas,  up to Mackinac and Beaver island. Then across and down the Wisconsin coast back to home port of Hammond Ind.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judy says WOW....tell Bryan I want it back!

I say FLAMETHROWER!!!!!

It looks like the amazing video that Ocean LED had posted at one time of a boat off the Florida coast ripping along set to wicked music being followed (at night) by a helicopter (not a drone as you could see its night lights).

• Options
    As much as I've been trying to pretend that the season is not pretty much over.....this is what greeted me outside this morning. Happy i winterized my water system and head last week. Supposed to be in the low 60's tomorrow afternoon so hoping for one last short run. Haul out on Tuesday.  :'(