bring 342 back to life

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NADA for a 2006 hardtop 390 is $115k.  Assuming brand new motors/drives, and zero damage to any fiberglass ... if it has all-new vinyl, interior, appliances and electronics, maybe $140.  

Ya know, this sort of thing is huge these days in the car world.  People buy wrecked beauties for nothing, make videos of the reno, and go click-mining on youtube.  Why let car guys have all the fun ... go buy that 390.  Maybe greatlakesskipper would sponsor you.  
  • javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea funny enough I actually thought about that when I started the 342 but first I curse like a sailor second would need someone to edit the video and I barely take pics let alone video but alot of people keep telling me to put some of my builds up but I never do and to be honest with you this is the first time I ever put my work on any site would be cool though 
    edited February 2019
    @LaRea here's a project I should have made a video of when I built a hard top with powered rag top for my old boat got tired of the bimmni top and barely have pictures of this project 
    @shawnmjr yes sir rgb 52" makes docking at night a dream
    edited February 2019
    cranes ,forklifts ,excavators ,skid steer,trucks,heavy machinery repair , fab ,paint,electric, refurbish units alot of different things once upon a time I use to build custom cars too still do 1 here and there that's pretty much it
    edited February 2019
    @Handymans342 start a go fund me page see where that takes us ;)
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you using all those talents, call you lucky, take the time off to use that Rinker this summer. Instead of going to the next project your thinking of.  You will have a boat many would be proud of. And not a big bank roll in it.  
    I'm not that lucky in mechanically inclined, having to take picture's of thing's as taking them apart, Watch u tube video's  and still have a hard time getting them back together. You seem to zip right through it. I'm sure the engine's rebuild is going on about now. 
    And what is the name of your new vessel? 
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    javhav said:
    Nahhhhh you dont like me 😳
    What you need to do is go look at that 390, put together a budget including the purchase and get back to us. The way it would work is that you would get back percentage wise what you put in after sale.
    I have done this before with houses, condos, etc..
    There are a lot of people on here with a lot of discretionary funds available for just such a project such as: @raybo3, @LaRea, @Dream_Inn, @Black_Diamond, @J3ff, @Willhound. @Wildboating just to name a few
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Look at Steve throwning the boys in front of the boat
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    haha! I could be in 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Boys I can spot a patched together boat from a mile away 
    trust me
    when someone is ready to fork over 130k plus they are not looking for a pimp my boat accessories. This throws red flags.
    i also flip cars and boats 
    my cardinal rule is to never buy salvage and buy something that’s all oem.
    only way you make money on boats is to find a trouble load or a fire sale.
    Selling is another spectrum of unknowns 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Handymans342 you must have me confused with someone else. We're comfortable, but not rolling in it. That's why a 19 year old 270 that it took me 2 years to find the right deal. That I do a lot of my own work on. Yeah, we spend a lot on our "hobby" but I don't play golf, smoke or do a lot of other stuff that allows us to stay "afloat"  B)
    Boating is a commitment. They call it that because most of us should probably be committed. :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely 
    thats why I sold for now
    not committed 
    well commitdy to my kids 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    J3ff said:
    haha! I could be in 

you know, I could be in too.  I want to retire early and maybe do something more hands on.  Just hard to leave a decent paying job to probably work harder for less.

I'd love to redo boats, if I'd get at least what I put into them.  I still have my old street rod I did before I was age 16. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I agree with zaverin1 it's hard to get someone to fork over big money like that for  a boat that's not done to the T the only way I see makeing any $$$$$ is to find a buyer first then tailor the boat to there specs other then that extremely hard sell were not talking about a 10k boat here seen people try to flip boats only seen a hand full deals work other ones never worked and they lost $$$$$ big time
    Dream_Inn said:
    J3ff said:
    haha! I could be in 

you know, I could be in too.  I want to retire early and maybe do something more hands on.  Just hard to leave a decent paying job to probably work harder for less.

I'd love to redo boats, if I'd get at least what I put into them.  I still have my old street rod I did before I was age 16. :)
    it's not working hard you worry about it's the $$$$ it doesn't feel like your working hard if you actually enjoy it but for me center console are the way to go for fixer uppers they sell like hot cakes up here  easy to work on not much to them easy to sell 
    Still would like to see a budget
    javhav said:
    Nahhhhh you dont like me 😳
    maybe but I like $$$$$$$$ lol;)
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking about doing it with boats all over...I have a customer with an older Hatteras- he says down in Miami they are redoing these older boats and killing on the price of them....who knows how much longer that will last but it sounds like a fun way to make a living to me. You might have to pull a boat in from out of state and you'd need some rig to do that or just pay someone I suppose...or tug it down if it floats....sounds like a great TV show! 
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Its pretty common for boats to undergo complete refits i.e. new electronics, engines etc. As long as the hull is sound, buyers should not be dissuaded.
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    You can end up with a Million bucks buying and selling old boats. IF you start with $2 Million......
    I went through five boats, in 8 years. Buying projects, fixing them up, using them, then flipping them. It was enough $ to pay cash for my Rinker, all from the profits on boats I spent minimal cash on to upgrade. It can be done, but it's not like you'll get RICH from it.....you gotta love doing it! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    today finally the last electrical part that  needed changing came in it was a pain to connect took way longer than I expected but now she's a 100%
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost looks like the water line on the panel. Looks like a bunch of red snakes. Now its nice and clean. Those 1 gauge wires are very hard to deal with. Good job!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piece of mind, Awesome!
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! I’ve looked behind my Panel and it’s sure intimidating!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Nice work Jahav.
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives ,