Sad Time of Year

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1 , It already looks like winter on Fire Island! LoL
    2008 330EC
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    raybo3 said:
    @J3ff how long of a run are you talking about? What are you powering up on the boat? If its just the charger and a light you should be ok. If your powering up heaters you could run into problems.............. Just say'n
    AC, Charger, LED lights (strip lights though..so they do take some kind of wattage.) At some point a TV, fresh water pump. Microwave... should assume that all of those could be on at once. 

Will want to run AC for hours and hours, maybe even 24.. for days at a time. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    heaters, in key west?
    Of course.  Any time it gets below 75 degrees, you guys are in tuques and puffy jackets.  
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    J3ff said:
    raybo3 said:
    @J3ff how long of a run are you talking about? What are you powering up on the boat? If its just the charger and a light you should be ok. If your powering up heaters you could run into problems.............. Just say'n
    AC, Charger, LED lights (strip lights though..so they do take some kind of wattage.) At some point a TV, fresh water pump. Microwave... should assume that all of those could be on at once. 

Will want to run AC for hours and hours, maybe even 24.. for days at a time. 
    @J3ff there's no way you can run all that at once. Just the AC and Micro each alone will almost max out a 15 amp household breaker. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @J3ff so your talking quite a load. If your using a 30amp breaker I would not go any small than a #10 wire and I would not exceed 50 feet. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited October 2019
    LaRea said:
    rasbury said:
    heaters, in key west?
    Of course.  Any time it gets below 75 degrees, you guys are in tuques and puffy jackets.  
    We broke or tied the record here today. (90 Degrees and a 78 degree dewpoint)... freakin hot as heII. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Key West has the largest population of dog owning homeless ive ever seen.

Random observation of the day

My local vets are expensive, how much do key west vets charge?
    edited October 2019
    Good thing I'm not in Key west! ;)  I'm as North as you can get in the keys as I type this right now. 

Will just run one thing at a time out of the various systems.. not sure that I can get the proper wiring done inside the house power panel. I will be sure to not use a regular extension cord to connect the house to the boat. Instead it will be this... https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-Marine-Electrical-Pigtail-Adapter/dp/B000NHZV54/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=shore+power+adapter&psc=1&qid=1571710158&sr=8-3 to a regular shore power cord... 
    edited October 2019
    So....largo?  

Was 90 here in South Carolina 2 weeks ago.  I miss it.  Miss the keys weather even more.  Last time we went i took the family snorkeling at the little island you see on the Atlantic side of the bridge, the one about mid point of the bridge, theres 2 little spots that stick above the water, not the large one at the south end.  Anyway, found a complete old queen conch shell the size of a football(looked to have been empty for years)  found it in the channel right at the foot of the mangroves on the northern tip of south Island.  The current there gets pretty wicked in tide change and had carved out about a 6 to 8 ft hole.  Most of the shells we found that day were just chunks and bits the kiddo just had to bring home.  I have it sitting on my front porch by the door and as weather here gets more and more crappy the more i wish we could migrate south.  I love fall as it beings football and hockey but the games are just as good, if not better when im watching from a TV 14 hrs south of here.

I didnt mind key west, it reminded me of Charleston, super crowded streets and crap parking.  Id probably have enjoyed it had it just been me and my son as we are big into exploring.  Sadly i drove my excursion so parking was also a hassle.  If i go again it will be just him and i and an uber or bus.  The little lady doesn't like miles of walking and her mom isnt capable of it.  I could have spent an entire day going from resurant to resurant and walking the entire city.  We pretty much went, parked, ate at a resurant by the old truck with all the stickers at the docks then went back to marathon.  I didnt even get to the so called southern most point.  We did go to some park by the base but it was by accident trying to find the southern most point.  I couldn't navigate and drive my 8000 lbs rig thru the streets trying to avoid hitting protected chickens.

Ill be back but not with the entire family.  Was a frustrating, trip to go and turn right back.   My kid and i like to try a key lime pie from every resurant in an effort to find the keys best key lime pie.  Herbies is still holding that spot.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Key West has the largest population of dog owning homeless ive ever seen.

Random observation of the day

My local vets are expensive, how much do key west vets charge?
    Visited NYC lately? Seems homeless with sad looking cats is the trend there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

edited October 2019
    I've never been to nyc. Used to make the trip to Pitt (Butler/slipper rock) regularly when my grandparents were alive and a few day trips to Niagara/Erie while there but otherwise my vacations take me south.  

A homeless cat being sad seems fitting.  Mine will turn their noses at their food until i shake it a few times, then it's suddenly very yummy.   Cats are very particular and choosy. I've got one that seems to wait on any opportunity to visit/sleep in the cabin on the rinker any time i forget to close the cabin door all the way.  In one of the little carpeted shelves in the cockpit i keep a fishing magnet with some 75ft rope. She'll pull all of it out to sleep in that hole.  Every time i get on board i have to reorganize the rope and put it back. I know shes doing it on purpose.  Payback for me keeping the door open just enough for her not to fit. The bad part is i have another empty 23 footer in the yard and i took the cabin doors off of, they can come an go as they please until im done parting it out but they dont want anyting to do with that one.  

• snyder1294snyder1294 Member Posts: 1
    New cover
    Frank Snyder
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rick. My son graduated from Slippery Rock University. We live about 30 miles from there
    @Boatman. Small world. My grandparents used to own a home they rented out to a frat at slippery rock. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    We just bought tickets to see Joe Bonamassa at MGM National Harbor in November.  Obviously, we have to go by boat.  So I have at least four more weekends available for boating.  
    I am at the NCC in Leesburg  the next 3 weeks. Unfortunately I will be heading home on the weekends. I wish I could get out on a boat. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine in the slip to be hauled this morning.  Off to hibernate. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Up and blocked. Cover on tommorow. Before and after pics of hull wash. Original 2000 gel coat on hull. No paint but might next year.
    Hull cleaner is actually a toilet bowl cleaner with 23% Hydrochloric Acid.  Only a few face burns. 😆

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You deserve a beer, after cleaning the hull. Not one of my favorite thing's to do. looks good. Winterized the pontoon yesterday.  
    Boat Name : 

Yes @randy56 that one and several more were very tasty. Job would be a lot easier with running water. Had to haul it in 5 gallon buckets and use a garden sprayer. 
    Sad time for sure. Woke up to this today. Thought it might happen so tried to get my frame and cover up on the boat the other night after work. Ended up in the dark with the tarp kinda half a$$ on, hopefully enough until I can get back there. But 50 mph winds last night so not sure what I'll find. 
    Back before composite hockey sticks replaced wood/fiberglass sticks i used to use old broken or swollen and deformed blade hockey sticks to lay my tarp over.  Id put the blades over the mast and tie them off then lay the butt end over the life lines.  Always worked great. Back then id go through a dozen sticks a season plus whatever bad sticks id collect from the rinks trash cans.  Now with composite sticks, my slap shot absolutely sucks but they last for a few seasons so long as no one steps on the blade.     My endless supply of sticks has ended.  I miss my sherwood 7071 and 5051 sticks.  The only thing that beats a good day on the water is a slapshot from the point ringing off of the cross bar into the net.    I can't get a slap shot above knee height constantly with these composite sticks.  At 150 plus bucks a pop im not going to experiment with 50 different flex and blade combos to find one that fits my shooting preference style and weight.   
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I have three sons that all played hockey the equipment and travel was a killer .I loved every minute of it .They still all play in a mens league and one coaches a 18 under team out of West Point .Now they pay for their own travel and equipment but come dDecember their is always a least on of those $150 sticks under the tree 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geee @Willhound and I was complaining and whining,Temp in the high 20'S and 30 mph wind. yesterday. Today back up to 50. 
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going in the water tomorrow!
    Lol @shawnmjr we definitely need that option...
    Sunday i worked on the boat all day.  Mentioned to the little lady and kid that we hadn't seen one of the cats in a few days.  

I found her. Destroyed 2 rolls of paper towels and crapped/peed on a rain jacket laying in the v berth.  Threw away rain jacket and spent an hour cleaning paper towel confetti and cat hair.   She crawled into the cabin and fell asleep while i was working and i didnt notice.   Could have been way worse.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    shawnmjr said:
    rasbury said:
    @raybo3 anyway we can get a F-off button link down where the like, lol, insightful buttons are? Just kidding @rasbury lol
    Just type "F-Off..... lol 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    It was beautiful yesterday! Got pretty hot..was out on the lake doing some buffing...dead calm and hot! Little different this am, feels like a FL fall morning...
    edited November 2019
    rasbury said:

Picture perfect day out there for most of FL :) Mine is back in action after having a 3 month time out to have the drive rebuilt, fiber glass redone up front after damage of being shipped down and new bottom/drive paint all around.. can't wait to actually enjoy it! 

I would love to go down there and  will ..lots of coral to deal with..