NHL hockey thread

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Non-Boating Related
(Picking up a hockey conversation that hijacked another thread)

@PickleRick - Say what you will about Ovechkin, but the Capitals won more games in the past decade than any other NHL team.  They rank right up there with the Bruins and Habs of the 70's.  

Ovechkin has played 1127 games, and I think I've watched at least 800 of them.  The team's reliable success is one of the things that makes the non-boating season tolerable!
Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    (Picking up a hockey conversation that hijacked another thread)

@PickleRick - Say what you will about Ovechkin, but the Capitals won more games in the past decade than any other NHL team.  They rank right up there with the Bruins and Habs of the 70's.  

Ovechkin has played 1127 games, and I think I've watched at least 800 of them.  The team's reliable success is one of the things that makes the non-boating season tolerable!
    Reliable success? More like Chokes mostly including last year. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Remember the bills of the 90s??? Always getting their fan base excited and full of hope only to lose in the Superbowl.  The caps fan base must have felt like that yearly other than that lone cup. 

The hockey season is a marathon, not a sprint.  Once you make the playoffs you all start with the same record.  

Pens are skating through this season with a patch work of a team due to injuries.  We should be back healthy in the next few weeks, the injured well rested and ready to go. I just hope they get enough games in before playoffs that they have time to get their skating legs back and gel as a team.  HCMS likes to play musical chairs with lines to find perfect chemistry.  Malkin playing with rust and jake is on fire right now,  a 1st line on pretty much any other team,  Crosby always plays with jake so interested in seeing how thay plays out.  Does Crosby push the coach to get his wing or does coach keep playing his hot hand.  Jarry is also playing lights out while Murray is a shell of his 2 time cup hoisting self.  You stick with the hot hand goalie...why not stick with the hot hand line???
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited December 2019
    @Handymans342 So Bobby Orr didn't play defense. Read this and check out what he was all about. Ovi could not carry Orr's jock strap. Orr was amazing. 
    https://www.nhl.com/news/bobby-orr-100-greatest-nhl-hockey-players/c-285636896?tid=283865022
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have the mindset that if your team doesn't bring home the Cup, the entire season was a waste of time, and basically shouldn't have been played at all.  If you aren't first, you're last.  That's not how I see it.  
    No one remembers losers 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    Some people have the mindset that if your team doesn't bring home the Cup, the entire season was a waste of time, and basically shouldn't have been played at all.  If you aren't first, you're last.  That's not how I see it.  
    Thanks, maybe it'll help me feel better about my Buckeyes.  I'm having a hard time seeing Clemson come up each time I see advertisements for the Championship game.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Screw Clempsum.  Osu couldn't beat Clumpsum and the refs. Should have been 28-0 at the half.   I hate all things orange.  Would love to see that school stripped of all its recent bowl appearances due to recruiting violations.  Something fishy is going on at that university, would love to see a disgruntled grad transfer spill the beans.  Clemson fans are like flyers fans on a mix of steroids and meth.  Youll see locals sporting a Clemson alum tag and i know they flunked out of Greenville tech, never seen a Clemson classroom...there's something in that orange kool aid that makes them act the way they do.  

Injury bug hits again on the pens.  Jake guntzel took a nasty looking face plant into the boards just hours after being named to his 1st All-Star appearance. So on Jake's goal which netted him 200 NHL points he goes out, no update until Tuesday from HCMS.
    edited December 2019
    No one remembers losers 
    Everyone remembers the bills losing the Superbowl to the Cowboys...again....and again...

Also everyone remembers Hossa saying he didn't resign with the pens and went with the wings because he wanted to be on a championship team, and then he and his wings lost to the pens in the Stanley cup.  

Not only do we remember losers, we also celebrate karma!
    No one remembers losers 
    Everyone remembers the bills losing the Superbowl to the Cowboys...again....and again...

Also everyone remembers Hossa saying he didn't resign with the pens and went with the wings because he wanted to be on a championship team, and then he and his wings lost to the pens in the Stanley cup.  

Not only do we remember losers, we also celebrate karma!
    Wow Rick! I could never forget that massive losing streak but the Capitals beat the Bills 
    raybo3 said:
    @Handymans342 So Bobby Orr didn't play defense. Read this and check out what he was all about. Ovi could not carry Orr's jock strap. Orr was amazing. 
    https://www.nhl.com/news/bobby-orr-100-greatest-nhl-hockey-players/c-285636896?tid=283865022
    Orr was amazing for his time. He couldnt carry Ovi's jockstrap today. 
    edited December 2019
    Orr would have dropped gloves over ovi asking him to carry his jock strap.    Ovi isn't one to drop the gloves often, European players in general are not ones to drop their gloves...Orr on the other hand had no issues doing so on a regular basis and did proficiently well at it. 

Ovi may get the top goals scored record but he will never touch the overall points record.  Either ovi isn't a great team player (as ive mentioned before) or he hasn't played with guys he felt were competent enough to pass to on a regular basis.

Orr, Gretzky and lemieux all scored stupid amounts of goals but at the same time set up their teammates for goals much more often.  

Ovi is a great goal scorer....Sydney Crosby is a better hockey player and makes those around him better.   As Ovi has learned, in order it be the man you must beat the man
    Ovi would have dropped Orr with one punch
    Ovi's one-timer is the best in the world.  They built their power play, and many of their other plays, entirely around that threat.  So it's ironic to criticize him for having fewer assists than other players.  Maybe you wish the Pens had a one-timer like that?  :wink:

The league's other great one-timer, Stamkos, has assist stats similar to Ovi's.  I guess he's also not a team player.  
    The only time you can really plan a set up ovi for the one time is offensive zone faceoffs and the pp....a very minimal part of the the game.  
    Oh, I get it!  You're not serious ... just stirring the pot, like Handy with diesels.  Well, you're right -- PPGs only account for 25% of the Caps goals, so definitely a minimal part of the game.  
    Ovi would have dropped Orr with one punch
    Bahahahahahahahaha.................... You are clueless. I have an idea. Obviously you dont know sports. You couldn't hack being a boat owner especially living on a canal. You have an RV that probably hasn't moved since you bought it. So maybe you should take up a hobby that you can do alone and not cost you any money then start your own forum where you can be your own star.................... Bahahahahahahahaha  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    I am getting under your skin
    I am getting under your skin
    Everyone's................... just say'n..................lol
    Dont get me wrong, having a productive pp and pk is huge but once playoffs hit the refs let the guys play hockey and only really call the obvious penalties so you really need a good 5v5.

Pens top points man is out 4 to 6 months. Unless the pens reach the finals Jake guntzel has zero % chance of lacing up again this season.  Kid was ok pace for another 40 goal season.  Many people said it was because he played with syd but hes done phenomenal in his absence.  The injury bug wont go away.

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Will stick this here instead of starting a new thread. Canada just had a brilliant comeback after being down 2 goals in the 3d period to win the World Junior hockey championship 4 to 3 over Russia. Woohoo!
    3 out of 6 years I can add.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Caps still the best team in the league for now. 
    It's official half way point of the season, every game counts now.

Case DeSmith couldn't travel with the team last night(pens) to play on Montreal as he had lost his passport,  he was luckily only scheduled to be a back up and Murray played well enough to not need to be pulled.  

It would be nice to see the Caps and Pens square off, but that won't happen for another month.
    If they keep it up they could play in the playoffs which is always a great series.
    Ovi has passed Super Marios goal record.

As of Friday pens were i think 4 points behind caps for 1st in metro.

Syd is back and it's hockey is getting good for this 2nd half of the season

Also...i still dislike the Bruins.
    Was one heck of a good game yesterday for the Caps!  to come back with 5 goals in the 3rd and an Ovi hat trick to boot!

Pitt isnt doing well today giving up 3 goals in the 1st
    Ovi has passed Super Marios goal record.

As of Friday pens were i think 4 points behind caps for 1st in metro.

Syd is back and it's hockey is getting good for this 2nd half of the season

Also...i still dislike the Bruins.
    Dont let @Raybo3 see this
    Pitt isnt doing well today giving up 3 goals in the 1st
    But it's tied back up now.