Loss of power

Out yesterday running great for an hour or so.  Then at about 4000 RPM's heard beeping and engine loss of power.  So shut her down for 10 min.  Started back up and cruised slowly at around 2000 RPM's ok but everytime I try to go above 3000 RPM's I hear the beeps again and loss of power. 
During this time Engine temp (175 normal).  Oil Pressure 60-65 (normal).  Checked my oil.  All good since I had just changed it a week ago.  Checked prop to make sure there was nothing wrapped around it.  All good.
Got back to dock and ran engine out of gear at 5000 RPM's all sounded normal with no beeps.

I have no idea what to check first ??  Any suggestions ?

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beeping is a fault code. getting hot? 
    Boat Name : 

• kennydalglishkennydalglish Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Is there a beep code decoder ring somewhere ?  Forgot to mention it's a MAG 350 MPI.  Temp gauge was normal for running awhile (175).  Update today, now the beeping happens even when I am at the dock and just start the engine.  
    Someone mentioned to change the Fuel Filter as a starting point ?
    Aqua_Aura,  thank you for this.  I have bookmarked this list.  I do have the 2 beeps/min happening.  If this was your boat where would you start troubleshooting ?  I do not want to go out and buy a bunch of parts/replace them and find out I still have the issue ?

For some of them is there a way to unplug individual sensors to see if the beeps go away ?  Ex. IAC etc.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your normal running temp is 175?  That seems high.  On my 496s, 175 will sound the alarm above 1500 RPM. 

I'd start with the raw water impeller, then check the heat exchanger for blockage (assuming the engine isn't raw-water cooled).  
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I also have the 496 with a closed loop system and I am pretty sure 175 is normal. I believe the raw water cooled runs cooler. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Everyone is a do it yourself, myself included. At your local boat shop they will have a lap top they can attach to your engine and pull up fault code's. My shop charges $69 then you can decide, if you want to proceed with doing the repair yourself. My be cheaper than buying parts. 
    Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @Aqua_Aura at 175, my engines will sound a constant alarm if I try to go above no-wake speed.  My normal is 165-170.  

Anyway - if the fault only happens at high RPM, it's usually related to cooling.  
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Kenny, don't forget the basics, fuel filter, ignition components, fuel quality. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    @Aqua_Aura at 175, my engines will sound a constant alarm if I try to go above no-wake speed.  My normal is 165-170.  

Anyway - if the fault only happens at high RPM, it's usually related to cooling.  
    An alarm at 175 does not seem correct.  I know of a couple boats with 496, including mine, that an engine runs at 170-172.  An alarm 3 degrees above that can't be normal.  I know mine will definitely gets warmer as the summer goes on and the water it exchanges with gets a little warmer.  I also have new manifolds, cleaned exchangers, and new pumps/impellers this year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Ok it could be a bunch of things. Water pressure sensor would be my 1st guess. I just had an alarm problem and all gauges were good. Turned out to be a bad wire going to the PCM from the oil pressure alarm sensor even though the sensor to the gauge was good. BTW the problem I had did not throw a code even though it went to limp mode. Do you have twins? Swap the pressure sensor with the other engine and see if the problem follows. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    One other thing I forgot, is the gear oil res full? If not that throws an alarm also.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Don't think the gear oil alarm reduces power.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
    All good suggestions.    A few follow up answers for questions here first:  The engine when it comes up to full running temp has always been 175 and stays steady.  This is not new.  It is an open cooling system.  Single engine.  No luxury of swapping parts.  Engine was just rebuilt.  Have new manifolds, recirculating pump, engine coupler,  Have about 10 hours on it since the rebuild.

Might be a newbie question but the boat is a year 2000 Rinker Captiva 232 w/Mag 350 MPI.  Does that even have a gear oil reservoir ?  I do see a power steering reservoir.

I have done a bit of research on the two beep alarm.  I will start with the simple stuff first.  Change Fuel filter,  IAC valve (I am hoping I can unplug this and the beeps will go away)  If so then I can drop the 100 bucks to replace it)  If not I will move onto probably having my marina hook up their diagnostic tool to point me in the right direction.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

I will keep everyone posted for future reference.

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which outdrive do you have?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Sir Kenny you own a Rinker? Legend! Andy
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kennydalglish you will still get the beeps if the IAC is unplugged.
    2008 330EC
    YYZRC.  Bravo 3 outdrive.  
    Aero yeah I thought that would be the case but tried it anyways.  Speaking of there are a lot of plugs around the throttle body assy.  I am not even sure which one is the IAC valve.  The manual I have doesn't seem to be of any assistance.
    Changed Fuel Filter.  Still beeping away.  It is continuous beeps now every 2 or so seconds.  Beeps keep going until I shut the engine off.
    edited July 2021
    Bravo 3 should have a reservoir. On mine it is at the front of the engine port side. I’m sure @aero3113 has a pic!

YYRZ,  Is this it ??  It is halfway between add and full so looks good.  What fluid is recommended here ?

Yep that’s it. Merc gear lube. 

Thanks.  Excuse the ignorance here but this gear lube keeps the Bravo 3 outdrive lubed ? 
    Yep!
    There are sensor's all over. Some have had the beeping alarm go off just because the outdrive lube was a little low. I guess you understand that what they are recommending. top it up.
    Boat Name : 

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    You really need to put a scan tool on the efi to read the faults that are stored. It should tell you which sensor to focus on.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    David,  Definitely sound advice.  I am having my mechanic come out with his diagnostic tool Friday to narrow the problem down.  Just don't want to lose any more of this short season on the water as I troubleshoot blindly since it sounds like it could be multiple things.
    Speaking of fluid top off.  Can someone tell me what Power Steering fluid is recommended for my engine ?
    Mine did not send a code. Solid alarm and limp mode but no code. Luckly my mechanic found it by chance. 
    Merc offers a power steering/power trim fluid.