Waeco fridge only works on DC

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
So, I just got back from 10 days on the boat.  Noticed that when we plugged into shore power the cockpit fridge didn’t work. So I decided to turn the AC breaker off and it began working well again.  I figured that was fine for now as when I’m on AC my battery charger is on.  My plan is to pull it out this Friday and check the fuses and connections on it.  I’m thinking maybe a switch isn’t working when I change input power sources.  I’ll get my meter out and check ac input power as well.  Anyone have any thoughts?  

If I remember right, @Cableguy Greg had a similar problem a while back?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call checking fuses, that’s what I’d do first…. And of course making sure it’s still plugged in back there 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I’m thinking it has to be plugged in because when I turn AC breaker on, power goes off.  But yes, I will be checking it.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that my fridge doesn’t like to switch in power. I have to shut it off via the knob to go from AC to DC. When I go back to AC it switches just fine. Been a pain since I am still (Grrr) trailering this thing. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    So, just to follow up here.  I pulled out the fridge almost two weeks ago, checked connections on the back (all looked good) & thought I'd try it back on shore power.  Last Friday when I got back down to boat it was working.  I'll just have to keep an eye on it but when I got back from the holiday weekend, plugged back in and it continued working on shore power as well.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bizarre problem.  You mentioned checking AC voltage at the fridge ... was it normal?  
    Yes, AC was normal at fridge.  Only thing I did as remove plug in back of fridge and then reinstall.  I know that was not an issue, but I removed plug mainly to check the voltage there.  I also know that when I had this issue, if I turned the AC breaker off, then the fridge would come on.  So, it had to be getting the AC voltage (cause it knew the breaker was on).  Probably something in that circuitry on the fridge that identifies the AC is on and turns the DC off.  Hard to identify when it's working, so I'll just wait. 
    Good thing is that we typically don't keep anything but drinks in that fridge (although sometimes food in freezer part).  So if it fails again, nothing will get ruined (just warm drinks).

We’ll, it looks like it didn’t work on shore power this week.  I turned the ac breaker off to see if it comes back on.  I’ll have to look more into I guess.  Hmmm, maybe I have Greg’s problem now.  I can try switching off and on

well, it is still working on dc power, so the fridge itself is working fine.

So, I’m bringing this topic back up as I have my fridge at home and started playing with it.  I took apart the ac/dc converter, which is a Danfoss 101N0500.  Looks like I may be able to buy one for 100 bucks.  Just wondering if it is worth messing with since it is about 15 years old.
    I know other have replaced theirs (mine is Waeco CR1065).  What did you replace it with?  I will probably go with something at Annapolis cruisair since they are right down the road.

That’s a great price on the controller. I would do it for that price. When I last looked, they were around $300. I need one, possibly two of those controllers. My cockpit fridge shuts down at 12vdc and the cabin fridge is temperamental when I go from shore power to battery power. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    That’s a great price on the controller. I would do it for that price. When I last looked, they were around $300. I need one, possibly two of those controllers. My cockpit fridge shuts down at 12vdc and the cabin fridge is temperamental when I go from shore power to battery power. 
    Before you spend money for a new controller, check your connections (make sure the spade connectors are tight) and check the crimps. If that doesn’t work, try a voltage booster. Worked for me. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn - you know me, I never like living on borrowed time.  Time on the boat is so precious, and you've already squeezed 15 years out of a 10-year asset.  Replace, sell it on eBay for $200.  
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I struggled with cabin fridge for over a year not working right on 12 volt.  Finally replaced the crimp on the 12 volt feed line behind the fridge and solved the problem.  Worth the try.
    Thanks @Spyderweb .  I did check both the 120v and 12V connections and all were good.  I also pulled the fridge and ran it at home on the 12VDC connection and no luck.  I believe I'm going to go ahead and order a new one.  The new controller at $100 I believe was a shady place, so not sure I want to do that.  Other places have it for over $250.  If I'm going to spend that, I might as well go with a newer more efficient one.  Annapolis Cruisair is closed for the week, so I'll call next week.  I'd love to hear what others got to replace their Waeco CR1065 and if they are happy with it.

edited December 2022
    @aero3113 replaced his with the same model and I replaced mine with the slightly larger CRX 80S. I recommend that you consider the CRX 65S as I find the door design to be nicer and more durable, but they are more expensive than the 1065 (which now seems to be called the CRX 65E)

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/boat/boat-refrigerators/dometic-coolmatic-crx-65s-30978

The newer ones are slightly nicer inside with a removable freezer and have digital controls vs the old knob thermostat that was prone to failure. One downside to the digital controls is that there are only (I think) three temp settings. Otherwise same same. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    @Dream_Inn the new model of it has a removable freezer. I like that option. I have considered replacing my cockpit fridge, but I only have so many boat bucks. If I end up with a slip this year, there goes my fridge budget. The canvas is the big expense that I have to deal with as well. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the comments!  You are the three I was hoping to hear from.  I will definitely look at the two sizes.  I did see the removable freezer.  Is the freezer the same size?  I really like the freezer on my current one.  It is large and we tend to always keep things in it. 
    I’ve got one of 2 kids getting out of college this spring, so more boat bucks!👍🏻
    Aero, is that fridge much different than what you had?

Mechanically and dimensionally I think the Waeco/Dometic are still the same 15 years later (save for the digital thermostat). 

Freezer size seems to be the same as before. 
    @Dream_Inn it’s “updated” I really like it. I think the freezer is a little bit bigger than the old version. It’s nice that it’s removable also.
    2008 330EC
    It seems that Annapolis Cruisair is still out for the holiday break.  I sent them an email for a quote, as they are good to deal with.  I see the unit on Amazon listed at $908.  I'd really like to get the unit in white.  Has anyone seen it in white?  Or is there another manufacturer of the same size unit that has it in white?  Is the stainless an actual stainless or painted?

@Dream_Inn , my insert is stainless.
    2008 330EC
    I really meant to post this here, not on Aero's topic....
    So, I just bought the CRX 1065 from Boat And RV Accessories as well.  It was listed on Amazon for $952, but on the website for $943.  I also had a promo code for 5% off.  So, with tax it was ~$950.  I'll be curious if it is silver or stainless.  The pictures it shows are stainless, but in the description is states silver.  If it is silver, I may try to use the white insert from the old one, as I'd really like it be white anyhow.

@aero3113 My fridge was delivered at 9pm last night.  & yes, it is stainless!  I'm very happy with it.  I've already ran it on both AC and DC to make sure it works.  It didn't seem real cold, but that may be all relative as I had it in my detached garage & it was in low 40's while I was testing it.  I guess a thermometer would've been better, but I figure if it functions well on both voltages I should be ok to install in boat.  It was very quite as I barely heard the compressor kick on.  I'll say the heat exchanger/condenser on the back didn't get warm at all, which again may be because it was sitting in 40 degree garage.  I'll take a picture once I get it installed.  It'll be nice to not have to think about it this summer!

Awesome @Dream_Inn . Do you agree that it’s much lighter than the original?
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    Awesome @Dream_Inn . Do you agree that it’s much lighter than the original?
    So, it seemed really light, but then I lifted the old one and it didn’t seem that heavy either.  I have both in the garage, so maybe I’ll weigh them.  The package slip said 61lbs, but it didn’t seem that heavy.

I find them reasonable to maneuver when the frame is not installed.  Once the frame is on, it's literally and figuratively bloody chaos.
    Installed the fridge today.  I like the looks of the stainless!  The shiny is because plastic is still on it.

You should do a stainless panel on the ice maker to match!
    YYZRC said:
    You should do a stainless panel on the ice maker to match!
    I agree.  I may have to see where I can get a piece cut for it.