Options

Meet the new La Rea!

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Yeah, I could try to patch it together and hope it lasts another year, but it's 14 years old.  I'd rather replace it on my own timeline and know we're good.  

On a lighter note, Yeti delivered custom drinkware with a boat image that I made from a graphic in the owners manual.  Of course, we had to do some product testing!

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Very nice but a bigger boat deserves a bigger drink?
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    😎⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Looks great
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Sure, I show up on Sunday and see a dirty boat.  Now you clean it two days after! :D  Sure looks nice!

I am still amazed after seeing that dash in person.  I think I stared at it for 15 minutes and still didn't get enough!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited May 7
    This week's fail:  main breaker for shore power (inside the boat).  What's amazing is that it failed in comfortable weather, and in a location where I could get a part delivered the next day.  Power is now restored.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Sounds like many Murphy's laws were broken.  Just remember this when you are out on the loop! :wink:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Interesting twist today.  I hauled the boat to install a new sonar and a couple other things.  Then I found out why my starboard trim tab had stopped working:

Imagine my surprise to find the entire 42-inch trim tab was missing in action! 

It has two actuators, and both of the lower hinge pins fell out.  With no actuators holding the plate in place, it fell out too.  After talking with a very helpful tech at Bennett, I figured out what happened.  Without getting bogged down in details, it's basically my fault and I'll own it.  

If anybody has Bennett tabs and wants details, ask and I'll tell.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the hydraulic tabs? I had them on a previous boat and never again. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing you found it, that could have affected a trip quite a bit!  I have Lenco tabs 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum -- yeah, this boat really needs trim tabs.  Without them, she plows.  It gets expensive.  

@YYZRC -- yes, hydraulic, but the issue was not related to the hydraulic system.  
  • Options
    Understood, it’s just so much more complex than the Lenco electric. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve got Bennetts so would be glad to know…
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I actually just pulled one of my Bennett 30x12 tabs off today to replace it. The trim plane suffered some bending during a storm and I want the full effectiveness back.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    edited May 12
    OK, here's the long-winded explanation. 

The bottom of the actuator has a hinge secured by a hinge pin (not nut/bolt).  By design, the two attachment screws extend past the hinge pin, and that's what keeps the pin from falling out.

On my boat, the builder had to cut notches in the stiffening rib to clear the swim platform hydraulic lift.  The notches compromise the stiffness, so they welded on L brackets behind the actuator hinges.  

So here's the problem.  With the extra thickness of the L bracket, the hinge needs longer screws to retain the hinge pin.  I didn't know that when I replaced the actuators in October, so I used the OEM screws -- which are not long enough.  

Three of the hinge pins fell out.  On the starboard side, after both pins fell out, the plane assembly fell off.  

Bennett's installation manual doesn't mention that the screws need to stick out and retain the hinge pins, so I guess that's the root cause.  Ultimately, it's my fault for not realizing it!
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great explanation @LaRea !⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I know exactly what you’re talking about and never realized that those longer screws held the pins in. Good to know!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Sharing is caring!   :)

I also installed a new swim platform.  The original was too short and too hard to climb, with sharp edges waiting to bite legs and dinghy tubes.  All cured by this new ladder.

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

It happen to me too with the lenco one.
  • Options
    Salt water is so angry!
  • Options
    I won't enjoy my next step in prepping for long-distance cruising, but it's gotta happen:  I'm selling The Beast.  2017 Audi RS7 Performance with a 605-HP twin turbo V8 and man does that car move!  But like so many other things, I don't want to store it.  We're also having a giant moving sale this weekend.  Everything Must Go!  

• Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Nice looking ride.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    Those wheels and brakes are amazing.  
    2000 Captiva 232