Bad News

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, my boat got launched today and everything ran well but there was water entering the bilge. Turns out to be a cracked transom assembly. Anyone ever had this before?

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks. Not every happened to me, but my boats have always been very new. Have you had someone look at it to give you a quote?  How do you figure it happened?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marina is working up a quote. He said it could very well happen from a poor installation originally where they may have over tightened a nut. The question will be how much damage there is to the fiberglass transom.
    I hope Al may have one laying around that he wants to get rid of.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Handy that happened to me. Sorry to say its a good size job. Have to pull engine and outdrive. This was a few years ago and I think the cost was about $5000. Now part of the reason the cost was so high it that the transom had a "high" spot on it and the assembly was deflecting. They had to grind down the high spots and repair the glass. The whole job was done in either 2 or 3 days. Good luck bro and keeps us posted.... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Steve, did the transportation company brace your drives correctly? Do you have any pictures of the set-up before it was hauled away? Do they have insurance? If not is it worth using your insurance or are you saving that "for the big one"?.....Fingers crossed, Steve!
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Handy that sucks I’m sorry to hear that I hope it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, good luck

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally the boat (2001 340) I just looked at just had both replaced supposedly due to wear and tear. Parts were about $2500 each. My old houseboat was due for one (Alpha 1 gen 2) and total estimate was just over $5K. Sounds like an odd time to fail on launch. I am suspicious of an impact during the re-commissioning process. I can also add that I regret my one and only insurance claim for hitting a rock with the drive. The increase in premium was $600/year on a quote for a 342's new policy with a different company. They get you one way or the other. Good luck.  Paul
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    My buddy had both his redone last year for $10k.  Good luck Handy.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I will wait and see the damage. Pretty bummed right now. 
    Hey Steve, think about that beautiful dock and lift AND life on the canals in SW Florida ....that oughta cheer you up!
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That sucks ! 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    edited December 2015
    Thanks Al. I will post a picture soon. The crack is only visible from inside 

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the extra weight of those diesels. lol. j/k

I'd bet more likely bellows issues. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    B_D, you are coming down when? LOL
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably in Feb. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    might be heading for an **** whooping there black, wow- I know little about boats, but, would have to say if you have a crack in a transom either you struck something in the water or transport did something to it. It was not leaking when you pulled it out, it should not be leaking when you put it in unless something happened in between? This really blows Handy, sorry for your problem...
    The mechanic said since its been on land for over 1 year that the transom may have dryed out causing it to shrink allowing leakage and that the crack may have been there a while even before I bought it. I always had water entering the bilge but most of it was coming in from the 2 thru hulls. I am not sure how the transom is made on a rinker if there is wood or not. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Prayers sent.

Just had new gimbals, boots, etc. myself.  The fun never ends.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Steve, I don't buy the transom shrinkage unless your transom was swollen due to water infiltration. I have cut open three Rinker transoms to drill holes for through hulls. We used to smoke shop drills doing it the Rinker transoms were so thick and strong. The dealer was so impressed the first time that he kept one of the plugs and I kept the other. I showed the one I had to a Sea ray rep one time and he did not believe it came from a Rinker as it was thicker and better set-up (layers) than a Sea Ray. Rinker isn't perfect but they build real tough hulls and their transoms are built like tanks!..... So I'm not buying that cr*p from some tech. As for the cracked plate, I'd still want to see how your drives were braced for transportation. There is no way they should have been trucked that distance without being supported. Maybe a second opinion would be helpful?

MT, is there wood in the Transom?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, something is not adding up here handy....
    The crack is directly under the motor. He is going to try to snap a picture. He said he has seen cracks there for years on other boats and they dont leak but mine is. The boat is back on land and the drive is off. Is said there is nothing wrong with the outer transom and no signs of any damage to prop or anything suggesting shipping damage. Like I said before, the damage to the transom itself wont be known until everything is out. I will try to get pictures of everything. 

Steve - yes, but it looked like some sort of specialty wood and was very heavily impregnated with resin.  The "wood" glass and resin layers were so impressive that most of the dealer's techs were crowded around to look at it. No one had seen a better lay-up.When I did my own boat it was a 1994 Rinker 190 that I drilled two 4 inch holes through the transom in 1998 for through hulls for a 390 HP high performance 383. Here's the BIG deal - first, after four years there was no sign of ANY deterioration of that transom at ALL! The holes were big - 4 inches - and man did they ever look big after I cut them out LOL. My point, the two big holes and the plugs I got our gave us a real good chance to look at the lamination schedule of that Rinker transom - it was SCARY strong. I was cr*pping my pants that the 383 torque monster I was going to put in that little boat would crack, split or whatever that transom. The guy who bought that boat from me still has it and brings it to my dealer for winterization, The transom is still PRISTINE.....and remember the 190 is an ENTRY level boat!!!!! I'm telling you Rinker lays-up MONSTER transoms right across their line. IMO, if one cracks it's a fluke or someone has damaged it. BTW If I saw some road jockey getting ready to haul my boat without bracing the drives I'd kick his s** so hard he'd need to sit on a pillow for the trip. If a Rinker is treated right their hulls/transoms will outlive their owners - IMO.

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    MT-I don't want to get off topic but is the bracing for transport you are talking about btwn the drive and trailer? I assume the the clips that go on the trim rams are not sufficient for a long haul. -Paul
    I think the transom will be OK
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Handyman did you hear back from mechanic? Is the Transom OK

I dont think he can tell 100% unless the motor and everything is out.
    Got a little good news today. Seems they dont have to pull the engine but just slide it forward to get the inner transom ring out. Wont happen till Monday. Then they can inspect the transom. 
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    That IS good news!
    Ready for that race Tony? I will pass you when you run out of fuel :)