Anyone for what has likely happened to our Bravo III?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
First, happy forth and hope most are out enjoying their boats with there families today! Left from the marina this am, just puttering across the lake and as I came in to a slower minimum wake area, slowed a bit...as I did or shortly there after, I hear for like 2 seconds, this metal to metal sound and then no working props-engine ran fine but it did nothing going into forward or reverse....no sheen of lube around the back of the boat and it has fluid. 2005 with 200 hours on it, anyone have an idea of what I might be dealing with here? Also at home, in gear and I can turn the props by hand foward or reverse...

Best Answers

Answers

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the input-pulling the motor would be beyond the place I have to work on it, don't even have a shady tree! Assuming this is the problem, $$$ I should expect to pay?
    I don't have a place to pull the motor so looks like I will have to have someone do it...I recall Tiki doing it- I think he had a place at home to pull it in and pull it-certainly no way to hoist the motor at my home...
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might help?  Never know. He was kinda close to you too?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is on the west coast and retired. 
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built a gantry out of lumber... 14' wide, 12' tall... you'd need more than that.  Sure made life easier. Didn't have to rent a wrecker (which can do it, by the way, and may be a good Avenue for you. )  or pay a shop. 

Engine can. Even out easily with 45 minutes. Swap out coupler in half am hour. Engine back in and aligned in an hour.  Have deck hand scrub bilge while it's out. Swap plugs filters wires or anything else, as it will never be easier.  Afternoon job, or all day job of you have to build gantry.

Rent the wrecker, man. Have engine ready to yank, have him lift it.. swap coupler with it dangling. Drop it back him, slide him a benji... align everything, replug everything, slap drive back on, be merry. 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well
    so you feel the drive go into forward and reverse gear? When spinning the props?
    also coupler will have a burnt rubber smell vs a clunk type noise.
    start your engine and look at the back of it by the transom. See if the shaft is rotating then kick up the  rpm and see if it's rotating at a costant rpm and not slipping.

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    FYI if coupler is bad and burnt to a crisp then I can see how it had nothing in f and  r. most of them will still let you idle in at low rpm under regular fail mode.
    Check gear lube and like people said look for water and metal. It could be anything from the upper to lower to coupler.
    you may have snapped a u-joint.... in light of your last post about turning the prop easily by hand in or out of gear according to your shifter kinda speaks to that.  where were you trimmed when it happened?  all in or all out? 
    @212rowboat what about that awful noise, would that go along with that also?
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Would a u-joint failure be quite premature at 200 hrs ?
    Would a u-joint failure be quite premature at 200 hrs ?
    yup.... unless it was at an angle above trim and into trailer tilt mode... then it can happen real quick like... which is why I asked him about where he was trimmed... 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, U joint is a definite possibility.  I've had the awful noise and it was a gear inside the drive.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

sounds like I need to start from the beginning, drain that oil and see if there is any metal in there. If I had been haulin buggy, probably would not have heard a noise but at slow speed, it sure was there and I know I was trimmed all the way down and going minimum wake type speed when it occurred.  I might do that before I put the boat back in storage tonight but I don't have any gear oil to put back in it and it's going to sit a few weeks before it goes to the shop regardless of what I find...suppose I should wait a bit. It's just odd- nothing "snapped" or went kthunk....