Sad Time of Year

Comments

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn winterizing in October! Say it aint so.  Are you going to put it back on the lift for the witner?

Yea it looks pretty windy this weekend.  Might be a rocky night sleep.      
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @06rinker270 This will be the first time I don't have the boat on my lift for the winter.  It'll be a bit different for sure & I won't have it plugged into shore power, which is the worst part.  But, I'll have access to put it back in the water when I'm ready in March.  Also the boat will be indoors for a bit while they are working on it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    This is always a sad time of the year. Its out of the water and almost ready for the winter.   :'(

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Really Brian really. ......lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Well, here is a picture of mine at 8am this morning.  It's now sitting on jacks and I've already winterized everything.  Going to wax it over the weekend and hopefully have it covered all up on Sunday.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my girl last Winter in the new cover all, safe and dry and yes it was a sad day- now she's under Bryan's care! :-)

Michael T said:

This was my girl last Winter in the new cover all, safe and dry and yes it was a sad day- now she's under Bryan's care! :-)

Ready for some good old fashion labor of love "wax on wax off". the new numbers are going on, just received the documents last week,  process took all summer documenting with coast Guard and DNR.

Still working with Darren on a storage cover, No update yet. 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited October 2016
    That sure is a beauty bry1429....... DI your boat is awesome.... Love all those Rinkers...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    @shawnmjr, true, but he's a good guy and he will look after her well! Sometimes, that's just the way it goes :-)
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good lookin Rinkers. 
    Boat Name : 

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    It officially over for the season.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You indoor storage guys are spoiled.  There's no indoor storage for big boats anywhere on the Potomac.  I'd probably have to go to Annapolis.  

So I store at Fort Belvoir Marina.  Pavement?  Nope.  Water hose?  Nope.  Electricity?  Sometimes, if I'm lucky.  But it's cheap, secure and close to home.  
    edited October 2016
    @LaRea .....and spoiled is good, right, when we're talking about our girls (or former girls lol).
  • Chris79Chris79 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Some of these numbers you guys are throwing around really scare me off of upgrading to a cruiser some day!
    @Chris79. You are right in that moving from a trailered boat to a bigger cruiser does involve some costs.
    For me, it helps to always view boating expenses in the context of my annual boating budget.  The list of expenses is long and distinguished:  storage, maintenance, slip, fuel, transient fees, depreciation ... not to mention cheese dip and single-malt Scotch whisky.  But I know what the costs will be, and it's worth every penny.  
  • Chris79Chris79 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    While my 212 is smaller, has a trailer and is easily moved around, my 4-cylinder car is of absolutely no use so I pay my marina to do everything.  So in all reality, if I moved up to a smaller cruiser my costs wouldn't be crazy different. 
    @LaRea, It would be interesting what each others budget or spend per year, It would make a good discussion. Total cost without cheese dip.  
    Boat Name : 

Cruiser ownership IS worth the costs (imo) but it isn't inexpensive. For me winter storage + summer slip + winterization + summer oil changes + off-year replacements (impellers, fuel filters, bottom coat maintenance) + insurance was about10K. It cost about 1K to fill it up. So, fill it up ten times and I'm at 20K. We visited marinas for over night tie-ups at least 30 times a season at $80 per night plus tax, another 2.5K  Now I'm at about 23K AND I have to add-in that having $250K +/- tied up in a boat (usually depreciating) and not earning interest (10%) accounts for about about another 25K ....so for me about 48K a year (at least) and that would not include incidentals like wax, canvas waterproofing, propane.....I figured all-in I had 50K a year in the game: 25K in outright out-of pocket expenses and 25K in lost revenue. Non a poor guy's game!
    edited October 2016
    The rental argument can be compelling, but only for trailer boats because nobody rents big boats.  

For my ten-year-old 370, the typical budget looks like this:

$2k slip and electricity
    $5k fuel and transient fees
    $3k maintenance and expendables
    $2k winterization and storage
    $1k insurance
    $5k depreciation
    $10k cost of money (I figure $130k value and 8%)
    -------
    $28k not including cheese dip

In exchange, I get to use the boat whenever I want, for as long as I want.  That includes extended trips, impromptu overnighters, stay-in-the-slip cruises and all the other things you can't do with rentals.  And I always know the boat is stocked with clothes that fit me, booze that I like, and back issues of Power and Motoryacht.

I did not say I was a millionaire.  What I said was, if I had not spent all my money on boating and cheese dip, I would have BEEN a millionaire.  
    Having an older boat paid for has its merits, no payments but you have more maintenance.  And breakdowns. Got into my files to see what this years expense was. Rinker is paid for so no pmts. And no labor on repairs. Except one. 
    OH Please do not let my wife see this! LOL

Insurance                                                                                     $600
    Slip fees                                                                                       1000
    Repairs at boat shop                                                                    5500
    Fuel - Gas - a guess I pay all cash                                                 750
    Parts- actuator, trim tab button, anodes, poop pump, ect.           1500
    New rear Bimini top                                                                      1000
    New batteries                                                                                 253
    Eva foam for platform                                                                     150
    Winter storage                                                                                250
    Weatherization, Oils, filters,  pink stuff, and misc.                          250
    New props                                                                                      750
    Two tires for trailer                                                                         250
    Sb total                                                                                       12,253
    Bought an Ol  Ford F350 just to pull it                                        10,000 
    Total fun in 2016                                                                        22,253

Boat Name : 

I used to add all the expenses up every year, but it wasn't near as fun as spending it :)  here is a picture of mine in it's new hibernation place.  First time storing on land for the winter.  Sure made buffing a bit easier!

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream, what was the estimate to fix the transom bracket?
    @Dream_Inn , that cover is awesome! Who's the manufacturer?  Custom made ?
  • thebistrothebistro Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @Dream_Inn, Very nice cover!

2017 EX 320  MacRay Harbor - Harrison Twp, MI
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    All said and done I'm at about 8k to 10k per year for the past five years on my 270.That's fuel+parts+slip+etc..,on trailer stored in my back yard.now the 342?? I still put it in my back yard.this make you think boat or cottage? $1000 a month with possible rental income for some weeks? Hey what was I thinking it doesn't ancor,motor,or make waves,I'll stay with the boat .If you don't like your nieboughs move the boat!
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct

@handymans342, still working the estimate, but it should be decent.  I will certainly let you know when I get it.  I'm honestly thinking I'll just get both engines done.

@bry1429 & @thebistro , Thanks! I had a guy up in NJ custom make the cover.  Another Rinker forum member that meets every year at our Rinkervous has the same boat.  So, we talked someone into making two for a good price.  It has more than paid for itself.  I had a half dozen people come up to me, since I'm keeping it in a different marina, and ask me where they could get this cover.  I had picked Navy blue so the snow would melt off and the material is stamoid light.  It'll last 15-20 years easily.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to do something like that, working off the mooring cover just to block the sun. I am buffing on mine, but to get going in the water- will change filters and oils in the spring. That is a great cover. But I guess if you use it, you buff it.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just pulled mine today. I put her on my new Trailmaster trailer. She went on that trailer like a dream. Since I am working mid shift this week, I have had some extra time to work on her in the mornings.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @reneechris14, Just checking to see if you had a vacant 342 for rent, Does that include electric and water? what about snow removal and do you cut the grass? LOL
    Boat Name :