2017 Chesapeake Rinkervous

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, with our first snow in MD for the winter season I was having wonderful thoughts about the next Rinkervous!  This will be the 12th annual Chesapeake Rinkervous.  The date is already decided and will be July 14th -16th.  Seems like more people are starting to show up on Thursday as well, which is always in our plans, allowing us to get the prime spot in Still Pond.  For those that aren't quite sure where it is, just type 39.327710, -76.142037 into Google.  We back up to a sandy beach in fresh water.  The entire area is very sandy and the back of the boats at low tide is about 3 feet or so deep. 

This year's theme is Margaritaville!  So bring all your parrot head stuff, music, drinks, games and whatever you else you may have!  I expect to see some pretty crazy decorated boats!!  As I've said before, if you haven't been, just look at the previous few years of pictures.  We keep adding some great boater's every year!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

let me just bump a few of you... @chesapeakeChiller @bayrunner @LaRea (hey, maybe enough warning and you can make a trip out of it!) @Dirtythirty (hope to see you this year!) @Ransnan @seadogs @johnniewalker (our newest favorite Rinker Wannabe! :) ) @MissKriss (make sure to fly JimmyBuffet in! ) @MDboater (better get another boat!)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's officially on my calendar!  Now I just have to make it happen ...
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that would be cool....
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Larae spend some money on fuel, geezzzz 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342, if you start now, you will be there right on time!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @Handymans342, if you start now, you will be there right on time!

Handy didn't try when he was only 40 miles away from me.

LaRea, it'd be great to have you come up our way!  Just be ware, you might really like the northern/middle part of the bay.

• TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Man I would love to go.   Id have to take a trip through the c&d canal. Im on the other side of philly near dirtythirty.   I always wanted to do a trip! 
    @trashman Sounds like a great trip!  We have a couple boats that come thru the C&D canal each year.  @MissKriss comes each year from Longport NJ, up the Delaware bay and then thru the C&D.  They make a 10 day trip out of it and go down part of the Chesapeake.  I'm sure some others can give you some tips for the trip.  It's not too far down from the C&D. 

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I do apologize for being a no show in 16.... I had wanted to come, and we did a trip to Georgetown the week before,  just couldn't stick around for the entire week...I am hoping to be there this year ! It on my calandar and looking forward to it. Thanks for thinking of me !!!!
    @dirtythirty I understand not making it.  Things happen.  Several of us were talking and really want to check out that beautiful & unique ride of yours!  You've done a lot to it.  We'll even make sure to save a deeper spot for those drives!  Can't wait to meet you!

• BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I will be there this time.  My motor head had to be replaced and I wasn't able to make it.  I will be there this year and will be ready to party with the best. 
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
    Great to hear Bayrunner! I love seeing the older 310/312s!  One of the best boats Rinker ever built! (I'm a bit biased formally owning an '02 310)

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    DI I dont think this can be done. The only thing we can do is copy and paste. I have e-mailed Adrian from Vanilla on other issues so I can certainly send another e-mail and see if we can move the posts.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Why not, you guys delete everything else! RLMAO
    Careful Handy your very easy to delete. Dont bite the hand that feeds you......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Feel free to remove it if you can...I was having a pre-senior moment...trying to do two things at once. I will repost after it's gone. I did notice that since it's not my post, I can't edit or delete it.
    Feel free to remove it if you can...I was having a pre-senior moment...trying to do two things at once. I will repost after it's gone. I did notice that since it's not my post, I can't edit or delete it.

ok, I did some deleting.  Go ahead and repost in the other topic.  I'm sure many others are as interested as I am.

Dream_Inn said:

ok, I did some deleting.  Go ahead and repost in the other topic.  I'm sure many others are as interested as I am.
    Noooo I heard back from Vanilla and they showed me how to merge.....LOL No problem but it is nice to know that topics can be merged. Learning more and more about this but man this gets time consuming....LOL
    Thanks...and again sorry for the mishap.  
    Well, I put requests in for vacation days. Hopefully I'll get approval.  Just a few questions for those who have attended.  
    • kid friendly atmosphere 
    • is there a marina close by to get gas and supply's 
    • I have a 270 with no generator.  Any suggestions as far as setup, dos n donts 
    • what's the water quality(salt/fresh)
    • I'd like to crab, is it possible there. 
    • when tied up together for an extended amount of time, what's the dos n donts 

I probably have ore questions but I think these are good starters for a newbie like me.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure would love to attend... Maybe I should start a Upper Ohio River Rinker Raft off. LOL
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Trashman said:
    Well, I put requests in for vacation days. Hopefully I'll get approval.  Just a few questions for those who have attended.  
    • kid friendly atmosphere 
    • is there a marina close by to get gas and supply's 
    • I have a 270 with no generator.  Any suggestions as far as setup, dos n donts 
    • what's the water quality(salt/fresh)
    • I'd like to crab, is it possible there. 
    • when tied up together for an extended amount of time, what's the dos n donts 

I probably have ore questions but I think these are good starters for a newbie like me.  
    Yes its Kid friendly but Dreams kids are a PITA LOL
    All fresh water, no crabs.
    Do you have a portable Genny? You should be able to use it anytime. 
    Im sure there are marinas near by. Dream will know. 
    I would make the trip up from Florida but I would hate to burn 500 gallons RLMAO!
    I do have a small gen. I was gonna bring.    Was wondering if it would be a nuisance though. I imagine the bigger boats will be running theirs.  Is that ok when rafted  up? Do those with gens sometimes offer a power cord to others?  I'm thinking I'm self sufficient though.  Certainly don't want to be a pia if I run a generator.   I guess we'll have to see.  I got my boys inflatable kayaks for Christmas and have a nice collection of nice tunes with coolers n cup holders to hang out on.  I'm surprised the water is fresh.  I would have guessed otherwise. I had my heart set on making crabs n spaghetti.  Lol
    The bay starts getting fresh at some point past the Bridge. 

Definitely kid friendly.  The kids tend to hang together and a few are old enough with a boater's license to pull some around on tubes or skis behind some of the larger dinghies.  They really have a good time.  I usually have a few games for them with some prizes.

Water is fresh and very sandy bottom.  Unfortunately, no crabs.  But, fishing is pretty good.  There is a an area the depending on tide, water flows thru pretty good and fishing is good.  We also use it as a lazy river when it's flowing good.  Quite fun!

We all tend to share our toys such as rafts, kayaks, dinghies.  Boaters are some good people generally and everyone has gotten along pretty well.

As far as marinas nearby, not really.  Guess it depends on what you mean by nearby, but nothing that you'd want to run to for ice generally.  As far as ice, I keep two ice makers going, one a portable one that makes about 30lbs a day.  This is one weekend where I run the generator quite a bit and help out with ice and whatever is needed.  A portable generator can be a good thing to keep the battery charged and fridge cool.  If you don't have one, well, we can usually get you some power for a bit, depends on who we raft you up next to.  y

Does and don'ts....hmmm...does, well, enjoy the people!  The best part is chilling in the water and eating and drinking and getting to talk to everyone.  & watching the kids all have fun together.  Don'ts...well, don't be an A-hole.  (I don't mean this to come off wrong) We all want to have fun and chill out.  Go with the flow.

Ok, while typing all this, you added some more comments.

Yes, bring that portable genny!  And as I said above, you may get a cord from a neighbor for some free power.  We all are very friendly.  Heck, there is almost always someone that has an issue. We almost always fix it on the spot.  Just ask @seadogs from last year :)

Oh, Plan for eating lots of food on Saturday.   If you can, bring a favor appetizer to share with others.  It is understandable that the smaller boats can't carry as much, no big deal.  Just plan for Saturday as a day of sitting in waist deep water in the sand, listening to music that is connected across all the boats together (yes, one boater has a great system that he calls "pirate radio station".  I also have a mic that goes across thru everyone's radio to get games going.  Even the adult games are clean fun. 

@trashman what age are your boys?  Definitely bring the kayaks!  I bring an inflatable one as well as an inflatable SUP.  Patrick (MissKriss) comes from NJ and has a couple boys and brings lots of toys including surfboards that he tows them on behind his dinghy.

edited January 2017
    Wow.  I'm sold. Sounds like a nite at my marina.    
    Thanks for the great info.  Gonna start going over a travel plan.  I'll need to know my distance and a good estimate on the range on my boat. hopefully a few of my buddies at the marina can fill be in on gas stops, that'll be my only concern.  They have made several trips to chess city and some to Baltimore harbor.    I have sea tow and a good ins policy, lol.     @Dream_Inn. The boys are 10-13. I just ran this adventure by their mom, gonna be my biggest hurdle it seems lol.  I measured the distance and it looks like 89 miles, 77nm.  Trip to chess city is about 65 miles so i can gas up there and be good in both directions.  
    Post edited by Trashman on
  • RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Trashman, last year was our 1st,and didnt quite know what to expect, but EVERYONE was so nice and treated us like we,ve been going there for years, we had a blast and cant wait for this year, we ran a portable genny to keep the batteries charged a couple hours each day, you wont be disapointed !!!!!!!! Oh and the Food and Drink  Unbelivable !!

@trashman 10-13 for the boys is a great age!  My son is 13 and daughter is 16.  There are more than a handful of boys in that age group that will be there.

77nm is a good distance, but definitely not too bad being that most should be in narrower calm areas.  Fueling up in Chesapeake city is a perfect stop!

Something to look forward to as we get thru this winter! :)

Fuel is definitely less expensive at Georgetown if you want to divert up the Sassafras River and fuel up there. And... much more there than Chess City .  Chess City has fuel and food, but not much else. If you don't feel like making the trip up the Sassafras, I would suggest Summit North, it is about 1/2 mile east of Chess City on the north side of the C&D.