Options

When it rains it pours (Transom Assembly leak)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey if I could do it, anyone can!
  • Options
    So..just thinking out loud here...the leak you had would not have gotten to that bearing- you had a transom seal leak. Unless you filled the bilge until water came up to go into the backside of the bearing. Also, from what I've read, you would first notice a bad bearing noise/grumble while turning and you did not mention that. If that bearing is bad, I would assume the first guy that did all the "work" may not have actually replaced it at that time. Either a bellows leak or a half sunk boat are the only way I see water getting to that bearing...
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
     Either a bellows leak or a half sunk boat are the only way I see water getting to that bearing...
    I think that if the outer seal on the drive input shaft leaks then water can get in from the outside, particularly when coming off plane. We think this is why my gimbal started making noise after just being changed 2 seasons ago when I replaced all my bellows, cables etc.
    My mechanic felt bad because he did the work so I agreed to buy another bearing and seal and he's installing at no charge. I think that's fair because who knows. I think sometimes that gimbal design is just finicky.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a lot of water in there for a month... I also have pictures of the bearing when it replaced the first time. Definitely new. 

The first Gbearing would make noise 100% of the time... this one only does it when it's hot and in neutral..
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Im going to buy a home in the keys if the economy continues to tank, lets do a contract.  I'll reseal your transom and replace your gimball bearing every winter.  The amount you spend on your boat, i wont need to work a job 😂. 

I can't believe the bad luck you have had on that boat
  • Options
    Jeff, Im going to buy a home in the keys if the economy continues to tank, lets do a contract.  I'll reseal your transom and replace your gimball bearing every winter.  The amount you spend on your boat, i wont need to work a job 😂. 

I can't believe the bad luck you have had on that boat
    Haha, in trade I'll take care of the place when you aren't around :)  This one isn't bad luck, it's just being a dummy (on my part and the mechanics..I guess).. today it's quiet as can be, so I'm thinking about riding it out till June and just going to my local fav spot.. that has clear water and sand about 10 mins from the dock. Can use the jetski to go explore further away spots.. it's more fun on that thing anyway! 
  • Options
    Is the bearing the sealed one or do you have a zert? I still say if it was going bad, you'd here it turning, not in neutral....
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    When my gimbal bearing was going bad I only heard it in neutral and didn’t matter if I was straight or turned. New gimbal = no noise 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    The other question in the back of my mind is "Did the mechanic spend time and align it?" 

You'd think the answer was "of course" but who knows. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned after my coupler blew that there are two methods of alignment, the quickest and the right way. Before the coupler blew I had my mechanic do an alignment while he was doing bellows. What he really did was he put the tool in, things felt fine, and he moved on. After the coupler blew he did it right. Tool in, and hit the starter many times turning it to 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock making small adjustments to the engine mounts as needed. Spent a couple hours really doing it right. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I am sure that if it was even done, it was the fast way..