Options

When it rains it pours (Transom Assembly leak)

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is this boat?
    2004. New engine and transom assembly 3 years ago
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I dont like the look of that wood, or that hole in the fiberglass by the mounting stud hole in the last pic.

Do you have a 3/8 drill bit?  Drill out a few test holes, look for wet/rotten wood.  Mark off about a 1/2 inch deep with electrical or duct tape so you dont drill into the outter hull.

Fill back in with 5200 or 4200 (8200 is walmart brand)

You do want both sides of the hull to be flat where the plates sandwich, that looks collapsed.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat or it will crack. Ask @raybo3
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Right - will do a couple tests and talk tomorrow w/ mechanic about fixing the inner transom. 

Here is an overall picture, would appreciate any thoughts on how you'd fix it, and then will compare to what the feedback is from the mechanic. I have faith that this guy knows what he's doing, just want to see if it matches up! 

• Options
    If the wood is soft you have no choice but to cut out and replace, i posted a number of pics on the what did you do to your boat today thread of the process.

One of my techs used to work at a lake keowee marine, he said i went above and beyond what they would have done in the marina, they also wouldnt have used epoxy resin.  

From pics, the inner fiberglass skin looks pretty cracked and may not be able to be reused like i reused mine.  In that case biaxle 7801 is your friend, us composites is in Florida and its cheap,  a gallon and a half should be plenty for that transom if the wood only goes from stinger to stinger like mine did.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I dont trust a moisture meter,  wet doesn't mean rotten and you can also find pretty dry rot(mulch).  I do have a hard time getting sellers to let me drill holes! So i just assume that there is going to be rot

Don't get me wrong, wet isnt good but sometimes wet can be dried out with time. Rot just gets worse.

When replacing rotten wood all the wood needs to be removed as a new transom/stinger can rot in just a few years due to contaminated wood being left behind.  

• Options
    hit it with a hammer all over inside and out, felt solid and the sound didn't change.. mechanic also said "no rot" the other day when they got it out.. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hopefully it's just deceiving pics. Either that or he doesnt want to fool with a transom rebuild as it's an itchy dusty mess.  I'd still make 3 or 4 test drills on each side, see if it feels wet or if it comes out as light color chunks rather than dark colored crumbs.

As a shop manager one of my biggest issues is a tech being lazy and not wanting to do more work...which makes no sense as they get paid hourly, even if they got commission more work = more money.  

I really dont like this. There should not be voids this bad to cause the fiberglass to collapse in

• Options
    Yeah it sure doesn't look good. I suppose I keep calling him the mechanic, but I'm actually talking to the owner of the place.. it's his name on the trucks, shirts and building. Def will bring it up tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Id show him that pic and insist that it be checked over well,  in the Florida humidity a wet transom will rot quickly, it wont dry either.  Leaving it open in a heated storage facility for a 6 month winter might not even dry it.
  • Options
    yeah but if it rots and sinks.. would insurance cover it? ha ha, jk. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you look at the edges of that key hole, it's hard to believe you would have rot going on...when they push that drill through the transom for those holes it looks like they are busting out material on the back side. Mine kind of looked like that also
     Not that it should not be checked but don't talk yourself into more repairs- and I said before at the begining of your saga, that does not look like a new transom asy and I really don't think you would have that much corrosion of those studs in three years- hope I'm wrong- and don't be mad at the brand because you ran into a rip off artist mechanic shop. Carma will get that pos.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Here's pictures from when they replaced the transom assembly, seemed pretty new to me!  (Yes, I've learned to take pictures of EVERYTHING)..

Sept 2016

Interesting looking back at these pictures, thinking I was putting a BUNCH of money into this boat so that I wouldn't have problems in the future, and here we are again. 

The bolts clean up nice with some club soda (thanks Rick)..
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s insane what saltwater does to these components in only a few years...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    No prob jeff.  Club soda works great on battery terminals too.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Mechanic drilled some test holes, says it's all good. 

He's also going to sand the inside problems, fill all voids and holes, and then redrill the holes for the TA
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Down at the boat doing a little recon... Occurred to me I should swap the hot water heater while the motor is out... Anyone have a better replacement than this? 
    How's your waste tank looking?  Sometimes they get damaged from the vacuum, that's a cheap replacement too.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, that ablative paint touching the drive (black paint right up to the drive) ... you should check whether it has any metallics in it (like copper).  It's a big no, no and could in fact void warranties on new engines. Issue is that it forms a galvanic connection to the entire hull, and that means it will send any stray current to that drive ... merc cathode may not be able to keep up. 

The easy fix is to paint with epoxy over the ablative, and leave a 2" band around the drive. This way when you mount the drive back on, it sits on the new paint.  The right thing to do is to sand out that ablative, again a 2" band around the drive.  Reason is, the ablative can fail underneath the epoxy paint, and cause it all to flake off with time. All though the portion of epoxy squeezed between the drive and the transom should never come off ...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Holes sanded, some kind of epoxy put over it, they'll sand it tomorrow to flatten it up, hopefully all good.  

Will sand the paint off around the TA housing on the outside. 
  • Options
    Looks good! And yes it was new for sure and just amazing how quickly they can deteroate. Mine looked like yours after 15 years!
  • Options
    Looks like cabosil(sp?) Thickened epoxy.

Looks good.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Boat was supposed to be put back together today by end of day. was it? nope
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    No one does what they say in Florida
  • Options
     There's always Monday!  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Boat was supposed to be put back together today by end of day. was it? nope
    When you moved to the Keys you did realize there's a different concept of time there, right? 😁
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
     There's always Monday!  

Monday is a holiday
  • Options
    Other than govt buildings nothing is closed here on Monday. My kid still goes to school.
  • Options
    Hey, FL ain't to bad, your on keys time...might as well be in the Bahamas...on the plus side, just motored to a little marina, taking a little cruise up to another marina to spend the night...
  • Options
    @J3ff just get a second boat, a spare for when you cant take the spare.   

• Options
    @J3ff just get a second boat, a spare for when you cant take the spare.   

Hopped on a plane this morning and here's the current view

(Sunrise)