Options

NHL hockey thread

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Caps players and management agree with you Handy.  They feel the suspension signals a change in league policy, and every team will need to adapt because hits like that happen in just about every game.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hits to the Head happen in every game???????? Really?? That hit had intent and Carlo was a target and he spent 2 days in the hospital.  I don't believe that is part of the game. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Intent to what?
  • Options
    Injury........ @LaRea do you think that wasn't a hit to the head? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    My view is a little different.  Before the hit, Carlo was standing up with his back to the boards, and he saw Wilson coming.  At the last second, Carlo  lowered his head to look at the puck.  Wilson should have anticipated that, and adjusted for it.  He didn't, so the hit was shoulder-to-head.  Like I said, dangerous and dumb.  But intent to injure?  Nope, I'm not buying that at all.  
  • Options
  • Options
    Glad the league didn't see it your way. He should have gotten more IMO.
  • Options
    A few weeks ago, Komarov made a much more dangerous hit from behind on Lars Eller, who missed four games.  No supplemental discipline for Komarov.  Did Komarov also intend to injure?  Or was it a hockey play with a bad outcome?  
  • Options
    I don't know I didn't see it but I saw this one and it was absolutely a bad hit. Look even the league thought so hence the suspension. Carlo is 6'5" and Wilson hit him and went up after contact and boarded his head off the glass. I don't see in Gods name how anyone can make a case that that was a clean hit.
  • Options
    @LaRea I found the Komarov hit on YouTube. I agree a very bad hit. And a suspension should have been handed out. The only difference is Komarov hit him in the back and on his numbers causing Ellers head to bounce off the glass so IMO a couple games would not be out of line. Wilson hit was directly to the head. These hits need to be taken out of the game. But hockey is still a great game lol
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wilson deserves the suspension and more because he keeps laying hits like these.  They guy plays like a thug.  
  • Options
    It's the NHL, not knitting class.  One thing remains constant:  the only guys making bad hits are the guys on the other team, never the home team.   :)
  • Options
    @LaRea so your saying it's ok to target the head? Never the home team? Really! come on bro....
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Watching the replay, I think the problem with the Wilson hit is that he launched himself at Carlo. The only reason his skates didn’t come off the ice was Carlo’s head and the glass stopping his momentum. Definitely punishment matched the crime IMO
  • Options
    Wilson doesn't just target pens players.  He likes to hit late, many times the play is well away from the player he's hitting so they have no idea it's coming.  He targets high so head hits are far too common.  Then when a player his size like Reeves gets a hold of him he runs off and pretends he's a target.  He needs to be kicked out if the NHL for the constant dirty hits . How many suspensions now due to the head hits?  How many elbows to the head has he landed that took out another player for at least a game?  As someone who has played competitive hockey over half my life i have no respect for him or his play.  You play hard but not with the intent to take another player out of the game.  Yes teams need an agitator but he's a hit man.  

Any player that intentionally  puts other teams players at risk of long term injury or worse doesn't need to be in the game.  He's been warned, fined and suspended too many times. It's obvious he's either not smart enough to control his hits or he's trying to harm other players.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is not intentionally hitting anyone to harm. 
  • Options
    BS @Handymans342 that hit on Carlo was intentional without a doubt. 
  • Options
    You guys crack me up. 

Does Crosby cheat, slash, dive, and get special treatment from the league?  Not if you're a Pens fan.  Is Marchand such a vile, dirty player that he deserves owning the league's longest rap sheet of fines and suspensions?  Bruins fans don't think so.  And if Wilson played for the Pens or Bruins, you guys would be singing a different tune. 

That is the nature of sports tribalism, and it's awesome.  My tribe is good and true, and other tribes are bad and false.  It's why arguing about sports is so much fun.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus we won last night too
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    And ovi never makes a cup check?  Never antagonizes other players?  How about slapping an opponents goalies pads on the blue line before the game?   Ovi is also one of the premier players in the NHL.  The Canadian purists may not like him but he gets a slide where lesser tier played would get suspensions or at least a beat down.

Ovi tickled Blake Wheeler in an NHL game!  Hes lucky Wheeler didnt take his head off.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited March 2021
    LaRea said:
    You guys crack me up. 

Does Crosby cheat, slash, dive, and get special treatment from the league?  Not if you're a Pens fan.  Is Marchand such a vile, dirty player that he deserves owning the league's longest rap sheet of fines and suspensions?  Bruins fans don't think so.  And if Wilson played for the Pens or Bruins, you guys would be singing a different tune. 

That is the nature of sports tribalism, and it's awesome.  My tribe is good and true, and other tribes are bad and false.  It's why arguing about sports is so much fun.  
    Completely agree!  & it is what makes it so fun to watch. How bout those CAPS last night!! I know, they almost blew it but at least they pulled it out in OT.  They looked fantastic in the first two periods!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ovi can do no wrong!   :D  

Hey @PickleRick (this is a genuine question, not stirring the pot)  In the leagues where you've played, do players antagonize and fight and make dirty hits, or is it a cleaner style of play?  
  • Options
    I agree Marchand was a little pri(k and had his share of suspensions but he turned his game around. We are not talking about "dives" we are talking about targeting heads and giving head shots. Wilson's hit was a blatant head shot and he was trying to injure another player. Why?? Because he let Fredricks get under his skin so he thought it would be a good idea to try and badly hurt someone. @PickleRick Ovi should have got 20 games for his jock shot. 2 minutes for roughing was a complete joke. Talk about star treatment. 
  • Options
    Marchand has six suspensions and $900k of fines and forfeited salary.  He was voted the "dirtiest" player in the league by fellow NHL players in a 2020 poll.  But he's totally cool now.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    LaRea said:
    Ovi can do no wrong!   :D  

Hey @PickleRick (this is a genuine question, not stirring the pot)  In the leagues where you've played, do players antagonize and fight and make dirty hits, or is it a cleaner style of play?  
    I've done travel and league from midgets all the way to the <18 level.  Now just do pick up games.  Fights on these levels get you ejected.  Fights in adult leagues will get you suspended or even banned.  There was once a guy who was the voice for our local Greenville grrrowl (ahl or echl). He even did the announcements for a local mega church.  The guy was a total pri(k on the ice. He was dirty, got under your skin and loved to trash talk. When he finally got hurt by another player the rest of us cheered.  Sadly the guy who hurt him had assault charges filed on him and there was a lawsuit.  I believe they settled out of court.  

Some of the dirtiest guys on the ice are the nicest to have a few beers with in the parking lot after the game. 

It doesn't matter the level of play you are in, all it takes is one or two shifts and you can tell who the dirty players are on both teams.  There are dirty players who antagonize the other team on all levels.  Its easy to be an a$$ on ice when you know you're probably not going to get your block knocked off.

• Options
    @LaRea I said Marchand was a little pri(k and yes he is a dirty player but he doesn't target the head. He also has not got in trouble with the league since 2018. Doesn't make him a saint and trust me on this one, he has taken a beating on sports talk radio over the years. I don't understand how in Gods name you can defend the Wilson hit.
  • Options
    @LaRea isn't sports talk awesome...lol I am glad you changed the thread name. So do you think it's ok that Ovi circumcised Frederick's? Lol
  • Options
    @raybo3 - defend the Wilson hit?  Read what I said!
    LaRea said:
    ... I agree he deserves it.  The high hit was dangerous and dumb.  
  • Options
    Ovi's lift check was better than Marchand's suspension for spearing Dotchin.  

Marchand used the tip of the blade to inflict maximum pain and risk of injury.  Ovi used the flat side of the blade for maximum visual impact with less risk of injury.  Also, Dotchin was unsuspecting, while Frederic was staring Ovi in the eyes and repeatedly cross-checking him to provoke a fight.  
  • Options
    Handy was the guy defending Wilson.  Im sure handy would be a very clean hockey player, he doesn't seem like he'd be any sort of instigator😂😂😂